Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
House Select Committee
Jan. 6 Panel's Time Is Up
Jan 2, 2023 3:55 PM CST
Jan. 6 Panel's Time Is Up
Committee issues departing message
- The House Jan. 6 committee is shutting down, having completed a whirlwind 18-month investigation of the 2021 Capitol insurrection and sent its work to the Justice Department along with a recommendation for prosecuting former President Donald Trump. The committee’s time officially ends Tuesday when the new Republican-led House is...
Read Up on Watergate,
Then Told the Truth
Dec 23, 2022 7:11 AM CST
Cassidy Hutchinson Read Up on Watergate, Then Told the Truth
Transcript of Cassidy Hutchinson's interviews with Jan. 6 panel is out
- Former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson told the House Select Committee that a lawyer connected to former President Trump tried to influence her testimony around Jan. 6 to the point that she felt she "had Trump looking over my shoulder." Hutchinson delivered bombshell testimony , describing Trump as lunging...
Jan. 6 Panel in Talks
With Team Trump:Cheney
Nov 2, 2022 6:54 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel in Talks With Team Trump:Cheney
Discussions around testimony are happening, she says
- Former President Trump's legal team is "in discussions" with the House select committee probing the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol, according to Liz Cheney. The congresswoman says the talks center around the former POTUS testifying under oath in the investigation, CNN and ABC News report....
Judge: Trump Knew Election
Fraud Numbers Were Wrong
Oct 20, 2022 5:52 AM CDT
Judge: Trump Knew Election Fraud Numbers Were Wrong
But he 'continued to tout those numbers, both in court and to the public'
- Former President Trump knew that the numbers in legal documents alleging voter fraud were false but he signed them anyway, a federal judge said Wednesday. US District Court Judge David O. Carter said Trump attorney John Eastman needs to turn four emails over the House panel investigating the Jan. 6...
Jan. 6 Inquiry: DHS Has
Had 24 Secret Service
Phones for 2 Months
Sep 28, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
Jan. 6 Inquiry: DHS Has Had 24 Secret Service Phones for 2 Months
They went to DHS Inspector General, who's been accused of a lack of transparency: report
- Secret Service leadership confiscated the cellphones of 24 agents involved in the response to the Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021, and gave them to the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general up to two months ago, reports NBC News . The phones were handed over to Inspector General Joseph...
Jan. 6 Panel Delays Hearing
as Hurricane Nears Florida
Sep 27, 2022 4:16 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel Delays Hearing as Hurricane Nears Florida
'We’re praying for the safety of all those in the storm’s path'
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol announced Tuesday that it had postponed a hearing scheduled for Wednesday as a hurricane hurtled toward the Florida coast. The committee had planned to hold what was likely to be its final investigative hearing Wednesday afternoon, but members...
Jan. 6 Committee Trashes
Book by Former Staffer
Sep 26, 2022 2:38 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Committee Trashes Book by Former Staffer
Republican Denver Riggleman is eager to share his insider perspective
- Days before it's scheduled to deliver a final public hearing, the House Select Committee on the Jan. 6 Capitol attack got an unwelcome surprise Sunday from an ex-staffer. Per the
Denver Riggleman, a former House member and "Never Trump" Republican who worked briefly as a technical...
Focus of Primetime Jan. 6
Hearing: Trump's Inaction
Jul 21, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Focus of Primetime Jan. 6 Hearing: Trump's Inaction
Committee to argue Trump wanted the violence, struggled to condemn it
- The House select committee investigating the events of Jan. 6, 2021, returns to primetime Thursday. In its 8pm ET hearing, the panel will argue then-President Trump failed to act to defend the Capitol over 187 excruciating minutes: from the time he wrapped up his speech at the Ellipse at 1:...
Jan. 6 Panel Says
New Evidence Is
Jun 22, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Panel Says New Evidence Is Flooding in
Committee has revised its schedule and might add at least one more hearing
- The House committee investigating the Capitol attack says it has received new evidence—so much of it that it has revised its schedule and might have to add another hearing. Two more hearings had been scheduled for after Thursday's hearing, which will focus on former President Trump's attempts...
Giuliani Pulls Out of
Interview With House
January 6 Committee
May 6, 2022 12:25 AM CDT
Giuliani Pulls Out of Interview With House January 6 Committee
It had been scheduled for Friday
- A spokesman for the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the US Capitol says Rudy Giuliani, who led Donald Trump's court efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, has withdrawn from an interview that was scheduled to take place Friday, the AP reports....
Report: Jan. 6 Panel Wants
to Interview Ginni Thomas
Mar 28, 2022 1:34 PM CDT
Report: Jan. 6 Panel Wants to Interview Ginni Thomas
Wife of SCOTUS justice urged Trump chief of staff to overturn election results
- Ginni Thomas should expect a call from the House committee investigating the Capitol attack, sources tell CNN and the
. Insiders say the conservative activist, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, is one of many people the panel has been looking at—and the news that she urged...
Jan. 6 Panel Subpoenas
Jan 19, 2022 1:18 AM CST
Jan. 6 Panel Subpoenas Eric Trump's Phone Records
CNN calls latest development a 'significant escalation'
The House Jan. 6 committee has subpoenaed and obtained phone records linked to Eric Trump and Kimberly Guilfoyle, Donald Trump Jr.'s fiancee, sources tell CNN . The network calls it a "significant escalation" of the probe as it relates to former President Trump's role in the...
MyPillow CEO Is
Suing Jan. 6 Panel
Jan 6, 2022 4:58 AM CST
MyPillow CEO Is Suing Jan. 6 Panel
Mike Lindell wants to block subpoena for phone records
- MyPillow chief executive Mike Lindell is fighting a subpoena for his phone records from the House panel investigating the Capitol attack. Lindell—one of the most outspoken supporters of former President Trump's debunked election fraud claims—filed a lawsuit against the select committee on Wednesday, the day before the...
Capitol Riot Probe Wants
to Interview Jim Jordan
Dec 22, 2021 7:00 PM CST
Capitol Riot Probe Wants to Interview Jim Jordan
Another House Republican has already rejected request
- The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot has told a House member it wants to speak to him. The committee told Republican Rep. Jim Jordan, an outspoken conservative Trump ally, that it is seeking his "voluntary cooperation" in an appearance before the panel early next month, the...
Jan. 6 Panel Recommends
Contempt Charge for Meadows
Dec 8, 2021 4:44 PM CST
Jan. 6 Panel Recommends Contempt Charge for Meadows
Trump's former chief of staff sues committee
: The committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack says it is pursuing criminal contempt of Congress charges against Donald Trump's former chief of staff. Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson said Wednesday that the panel had "no choice" but to advance charges after Mark Meadows failed to appear for...
Jan. 6 Panel Votes to Hold
Another Person in Contempt
Dec 2, 2021 12:32 AM CST
Jan. 6 Panel Votes to Hold Another Person in Contempt
But will likely give Jeffrey Clark another chance first
- The House panel investigating the Jan. 6 US Capitol insurrection has voted to pursue contempt charges against Jeffrey Clark, a former Justice Department official who refused to answer the committee's questions—but the panel agreed to let him come back for another try. The committee voted 9-0 Wednesday to...
Jan. 6 Panel Subpoenas
10 More Trump Aides
Nov 9, 2021 3:10 PM CST
Jan. 6 Panel Subpoenas 10 More Trump Aides
House investigators want to know 'every detail of what went on in the White House'
- House investigators have issued subpoenas to 10 more former officials who worked for Donald Trump at the end of his presidency, in an effort to find out more about what the president was doing and saying as his supporters violently stormed the US Capitol on Jan. 6. The subpoenas, including...
Steve Bannon in Contempt
Oct 21, 2021 3:27 PM CDT
House Holds Steve Bannon in Contempt
He faces prosecution by the Justice Department over refusal to appear at Jan. 6 hearing
The full House has voted to hold Steve Bannon in contempt of Congress, reports the Hill . The vote was 229-202, largely along party lines. The former Trump aide refused to appear before a House panel investigating the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol. What happens next is in the...
Capitol Riot Investigators
Make a Big Move
Aug 25, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
Capitol Riot Investigators Make a Big Move
Panel issues wide-ranging request for records
- The House Select Committee investigating the Capitol attack made a big move Wednesday, issuing requests for records from government agencies including the National Archives, which has custody of records from the Trump White House. A letter from committee chairman Rep. Bennie Thompson to agencies shows the investigation will be wide-ranging,...
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.