Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Killed Lookalike She
Found on Instagram
Jan 31, 2023 3:00 AM CST
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
Police say she was trying to fake her own death
- A woman trying to fake her own death found a lookalike on Instagram and murdered her, police say. Last August, a body found covered in blood in a Mercedes parked in southern Germany was identified by family as Sharaban K., a 23-year-old German-Iraqi beautician living in Munich. But questions about...
Ukraine Begged for Tanks.
It's Finally Getting Them
Jan 25, 2023 6:33 AM CST
Ukraine Begged for Tanks. It's Finally Getting Them
Germany says it will send its Leopard 2 heavy tanks; US expected to send its M1 Abrams tanks
- Earlier this month, NATO allies, including the US, agreed to send combat vehicles to Ukraine to assist it in its fight against Russia. Now, Western nations are taking things up a level, at Ukraine's request, promising to ship heavier weaponry, including tanks, to the war-torn country. On Wednesday, Germany...
US Extends Deployment
at the Edge of War
Jan 21, 2023 4:00 PM CST
US Extends Deployment at the Edge of War
Pressure increases on Germany to provide tanks to Ukraine
- About 4,000 US soldiers with the 101st Airborne Division will remain in southeast Romania for at least nine months longer, Pentagon officials said Saturday. The troops are stationed at Mihail Kogalniceanu Air Base, across the Black Sea from Russian forces in Crimea, the
New York Times
Greta Thunberg Detained
at Mine Protest
Jan 17, 2023 12:58 PM CST
Greta Thunberg Detained at Mine Protest
Officers carry her away from German site
- Protests over a coal mine in western Germany only seem to be escalating. On Tuesday, police carried Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg and other protesters away from the edge of the open coal pit mine, where they were demonstrating against the ongoing destruction of a village to make way for...
Jan 16, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Cops Confront Thunberg Over Coal Mine Controversy
Climate activist carried away by police after they say she wouldn't leave protest in Germany
- For at least two years, climate activists have converged upon the German village of Luetzerath to protest a planned razing of the town to make way for the expansion of a nearby coal mine. This weekend, perhaps the most famous climate activist of our time showed up in solidarity at...
Poland's Fight With Germany
Over Reparations Turns Nasty
Jan 5, 2023 6:45 PM CST
Poland's Fight With Germany Over Reparations Turns Nasty
'Disrespectful' Germany aims to 'treat Poland as a vassal state,' Polish minister claims
- Poland is appealing to the United Nations for help in securing $1.4 trillion in war reparations from Germany, which describes the issue of reparations over its World War II invasion and occupation of the country as closed. Germany's latest response to Poland's request— issued last year following...
Doctor Who Claimed
Face Masks Were
Harmful Gets Jail Time
Jan 3, 2023 10:05 AM CST
Doctor Who Claimed Face Masks Were Harmful Gets Jail Time
Physician in Germany hit with nearly 3-year prison sentence after issuing 4K-plus mask exemptions
- A German doctor has been sentenced to two years and nine months in prison for illegally issuing exemptions from wearing masks during the coronavirus pandemic for more than 4,000 people. Public broadcaster SWR reported that a regional court in the southwestern town of Weinheim convicted the doctor late Monday...
'It Was Wrong to
Take the Bronzes' and
'Keep Them for 120 Years'
Dec 21, 2022 11:50 AM CST
'It Was Wrong to Take the Bronzes' and 'Keep Them for 120 Years'
Germany returns 20 Benin Bronzes to Nigeria
- The kingdom of Benin—whose earthen walls were said to be on par with those of the Great Wall of China—stood from the 11th century until 1897. That was the year the British invaded what's now southern Nigeria, burned it down, and made off with the Benin Bronzes:...
80 Years After
in Nazi Camp,
Dec 20, 2022 6:42 AM CST
80 Years After Teen Worked in Nazi Camp, a Conviction
Irmgard Furchner, 97, aka 'Secretary of Evil,' found guilty of being accessory to murder at Stutthof
- A German court on Tuesday convicted a 97-year-old woman of being an accessory to murder in over 10,000 cases for her role as a secretary to the SS commander of the Nazis' Stutthof concentration camp during World War II, the AP reports. Irmgard Furchner was accused of being part...
3 Years After Stunning Heist,
Big News From Authorities
Dec 17, 2022 9:00 AM CST
3 Years After Stunning Heist, Big News From Authorities
German officials say 'significant part' of treasures stolen from Green Vault museum have been found
- German authorities said Saturday that they've recovered a significant part of the 18th-century treasures stolen from Dresden's Green Vault museum in a spectacular break-in more than three years ago. Prosecutors and police said in a statement that they secured 31 items in Berlin overnight, including "several pieces...
'Chaos' as 82-Foot-Tall
1.5K Fish Explodes
Dec 16, 2022 6:38 AM CST
'Chaos' as 82-Foot-Tall Aquarium With 1.5K Fish Explodes
2 people injured by glass shards in Berlin; all fish presumed dead
- The world's largest freestanding cylindrical aquarium, which held 1,500 tropical fish and more than 264,000 gallons of water, burst Friday. Berlin's 82-foot-tall AquaDom, in the lobby of the Radisson Blu hotel, sent a huge rush of sea water and fish through the hotel and out into...
Germany Uncovers Alleged
Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Dec 7, 2022 7:46 AM CST
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
3K officers make 25 arrests across the country
- Three thousand officers carried out 130 raids across Germany on Wednesday, arresting 25 people who were allegedly plotting to storm the Reichstag and overthrow the government. The BBC reports those arrested are far-right figures from the Reichsbürger (Reich Citizens) movement who reject Germany’s postwar constitution, QAnon believers, and...
Shut Off Roomie's
Sound Bothered Her
Dec 2, 2022 2:00 AM CST
Cops: Woman Shut Off Roomie's Ventilator Because Sound Bothered Her
The 72-year-old was arrested on suspicion of attempted manslaughter
- A 72-year-old woman has been arrested after she allegedly switched off a hospital roommate's ventilator—twice—because she was annoyed by the sound it made, authorities in Germany said Thursday. The woman was jailed on suspicion of attempted manslaughter following the incident at a hospital in the southwestern city...
'It's a Complete Catastrophe':
Ancient Coins Stolen in Heist
Nov 23, 2022 3:15 PM CST
'It's a Complete Catastrophe': Ancient Coins Stolen in Heist
Theft occurred at Germany's Celtic and Roman Museum
- The Celtic and Roman Museum has lost its most precious treasure. The
New York Times
reports 483 ancient gold coins thought to be worth $1.7 million were on Tuesday morning discovered stolen from the museum, located in Manching, Germany. "It's a complete catastrophe," said mayor Herbert...
Team Pushes Back at FIFA:
Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
Nov 23, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Team Pushes Back at FIFA: Human Rights 'Non-Negotiable'
German Football Association protests after armband ban at World Cup in anti-gay Qatar
- The captains of at least seven World Cup teams planned to wear rainbow armbands in support of LGBTQ+ rights during matches in Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal , before FIFA threatened sanctions. Told the captains would receive yellow cards for the infraction or be removed from the field, per
KFC Promo Urges Marking
Nazi Horror With More Cheese
Nov 10, 2022 3:50 PM CST
KFC Promo Urges Marking Nazi Horror With More Cheese
Company apologizes for app alert, saying it went out in Germany unchecked
- KFC has blamed its software setup for an app alert suggesting people in Germany mark the anniversary of Kristallnacht by adding cheese to their chicken purchase. The notice went out Wednesday, 84 years to the day after the atrocity also known as the Night of Broken Glass. An hour later,...
Thousands in Berlin
Join Iranians' Protest
Oct 22, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Thousands in Berlin Join Iranians' Protest
Demonstrations also are held at universities in Tehran
- Tens of thousands of people gathered in Germany's capital Saturday to show solidarity with antigovernment protesters in Iran, where a movement sparked by the death of a woman in the custody of morality police has evolved into a challenge to the Islamic Republic. Berlin police estimated that 37,000...
Olympic Medal Sells for $488K:
'Hitler Must Have Gone Crazy'
Oct 19, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Olympic Medal Sells for $488K: 'Hitler Must Have Gone Crazy'
Silver medal won by Germany's Luz Long, who embraced gold winner Jesse Owens at '36 Games
- The silver medal captured by Luz Long, the German long jumper who befriended Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, sold at auction for more than $488,000, a sum the auction house said was a record price for a publicly sold second-place prize. Long walked arm in arm...
Is Out of Jail
Oct 8, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Anna Sorokin Is Out of Jail
Con woman who'd faked being rich heiress 'Anna Delvey' had been in ICE custody since March 2021
Anna Sorokin, the German national who faked being a rich heiress and inspired Netflix's
, is out of jail. The
reports that Sorokin's attorney confirmed her release Friday from Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention, where she'd been held since March 2021. "She will...
For First Time Since 2019,
Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
Sep 17, 2022 8:29 AM CDT
For First Time Since 2019, Oktoberfest Taps Its Kegs
German beer fest in Munich was canceled in 2020, 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic
- The beer is flowing at Munich's world-famous Oktoberfest for the first time since 2019. With three knocks of a hammer and the traditional cry of "O'zapft is!" ("It's tapped!"), Mayor Dieter Reiter inserted the tap in the first keg at noon local...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.