Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NFL Fans in Germany Continue
John Denver Tradition
Nov 6, 2023 2:00 AM CST
NFL Fans in Germany Continue John Denver Tradition
Sing along to 'Take Me Home, Country Roads' at NFL game
- As the Kansas City Chiefs played the Miami Dolphins on Sunday in Germany as part of the NFL's International Series of games, fans at Deutsche Bank Park in Frankfurt engaged in what may have seemed like a surprising tradition to some: singing along as John Denver's "Take...
In Hamburg Airport,
'the Hostage Situation Is Over'
Nov 5, 2023 8:29 AM CST
In Hamburg Airport, 'the Hostage Situation Is Over'
Man holding his 4-year-old daughter hostage surrenders with no one injured
- The hostage situation at Hamburg Airport ended Sunday afternoon, around 18 hours after a man drove his vehicle through the gates of the airport with his 4-year-old daughter inside, authorities said. The man was arrested and the girl appears to be unharmed, reports the AP . Hamburg police tweeted that "...
German President Says He Will
Try to Find Rebel Leader's Skull
Nov 1, 2023 1:42 PM CDT
German President Says He Will Try to Find Rebel Leader's Skull
He apologizes for colonial-era killing in Tanzania
- Germany's president on Wednesday apologized for killings under colonial rule in Tanzania more than a century ago and vowed to seek answers to questions about that era that leave Tanzanians no peace. President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, on a visit to the southern Tanzanian city of Songea, noted that many bones...
US Tourist Charged With
Murder at Famed Castle
Oct 26, 2023 8:10 AM CDT
US Tourist Charged With Murder at Famed Castle
Indictment filed against suspect accused of attacking 2 fellow Americans in Germany
- An American man has been charged with murder and other offenses for attacking two women from the US near Neuschwanstein castle in Germany in June and pushing them into a ravine, fatally injuring one of them, prosecutors said Thursday. The indictment against the 31-year-old suspect, whose name hasn't been...
Germans Are Snapping Up
Glitter Before Ban Kicks In
Oct 10, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Germans Are Snapping Up Glitter Before Ban Kicks In
First phase of EU microplastics ban takes effect next week
- The European Union is about to become a less glittery place. Loose glitter and microbeads are being banned starting next Tuesday, when the first phase of an EU ban on microplastic kicks in. The
reports that glitter has been flying off store shelves in Germany, where reality TV star...
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Oct 7, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
This Is the Most Innovative Nation on Earth
Switzerland is No. 1, again, while the US falls one spot
- Monday has already proven a banner day for innovation, with the Nobel Prize in medicine bestowed on Katalin Kariko and Drew Weissman for their work that helped develop the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines. Now, certain nations around the world can crow about their placement on the World Intellectual Property Organization's...
Confederate Statues Aren't the
Only Ones Coming Down
Sep 25, 2023 1:47 PM CDT
Confederate Statues Aren't the Only Ones Coming Down
Homage to late German cardinal comes down days after new sex-abuse allegations
- Confederate statues aren't the only ones being taken down: A statue of a deceased German cardinal was removed from its perch outside Essen Cathedral in western Germany on Monday, reports the AP , days after allegations of sexual abuse decades ago became public. The accusations against Cardinal Franz Hengsbach,...
Break Out the Beer
Sep 16, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Break Out the Beer Steins, Lederhosen
Oktoberfest has kicked off in Munich
- The beer is flowing and millions of people are descending on the Bavarian capital to celebrate the official opening of Oktoberfest. With the traditional cry of "O'zapft is!" — "It's tapped!"— Mayor Dieter Reiter inserted the tap in the first keg at noon...
DNA Links Africa's
Sep 8, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
DNA Links Africa's Stolen Skulls With Living Descendants
Germany to return skulls tied to Chagga people of Tanzania, stolen under colonial rule
- Scientists have for the first time identified living descendants of people whose skulls were pillaged from Africa under German colonial rule. Since 2017, Berlin's Museum of Prehistory and Early History has been working to trace at least 1,100 of 7,700 skulls it acquired from a local hospital...
Man, 98, Charged as Accessory
to Murder at Nazi Camp
Sep 1, 2023 10:57 AM CDT
Man, 98, Charged as Accessory to Murder at Nazi Camp
German was said to have worked at Sachsenhausen concentration camp as a juvenile
- A 98-year-old man has been charged in Germany with being an accessory to murder as a guard at the Nazis' Sachsenhausen concentration camp between 1943 and 1945, prosecutors said Friday. The German citizen, a resident of Main-Kinzig County near Frankfurt, is accused of having "supported the cruel and malicious...
for COVID Surge
Aug 20, 2023 5:51 AM CDT
Germans Blame Barbenheimer for COVID Surge
Mass gatherings may have played a role in rise in case numbers
- Germany is experiencing a summer surge in COVID cases, and experts say something
calls the "Barbenheimer effect" is partly to blame. Epidemiologists say mass gatherings, including trips to the cinema to see blockbusters
often as a double bill, have played a role in what appears...
That's Probably Not a Lion
After All, Say German Police
Jul 21, 2023 10:12 AM CDT
That's Probably Not a Lion After All, Say German Police
Animal roaming near Berlin is probably a boar, say authorities
- It appears that a roaming "lion" in neighborhoods near Berlin isn't a lion after all. Authorities now think the animal spotted by witnesses is actually a much less sensational wild boar, reports the BBC . Boars are common in the area, and authorities have found zero physical evidence of...
Thieves Melted Down Some
of Their Looted Ancient Coins
Jul 20, 2023 12:23 PM CDT
Thieves Melted Down Some of Their Looted Ancient Coins
But authorities in Germany hold out hope of retrieving most of the 483 Celtic coins stolen
- Investigators looking into the theft of hundreds of ancient gold coins from a German museum have found lumps of gold that appear to have resulted from part of the treasure being melted down, officials said. Four suspects were arrested Tuesday over the Nov. 22 break-in at the Celtic and Roman...
Germany: Eritreans Crashing
Festival Injure 22 Officers
Jul 8, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Germany: Eritreans Crashing Festival Injure 22 Officers
Groups opposed to ruler battled police in Giessen
- German police said at least 22 officers were injured and dozens of people were detained Saturday during unrest at an Eritrean cultural event in the western city of Giessen. Police said bottles were thrown and smoke bombs were ignited as groups of Eritreans opposed to the African nation's autocratic...
Cross That Benedict Donated
to German Parish Is Stolen
Jun 20, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Cross That Benedict Donated to German Parish Is Stolen
Unknown thieves broke into Bavarian church on Monday, lifted pectoral cross from display case
- A cross bequeathed by the late Pope Benedict XVI to a parish in his German home region of Bavaria has been stolen from the church where it was exhibited, police said Tuesday. A display case on the wall of the town church in Traunstein was broken open by unknown perpetrators...
Tourists Attacked in Germany
Were Recent Illinois Grads
Jun 16, 2023 12:43 PM CDT
Tourists Attacked in Germany Were Recent Illinois Grads
Fellow American is accused of pushing two young women off a cliff; one died
- The 30-year-old American tourist facing murder and attempted murder charges in Germany told two fellow US tourists to follow him to a secret viewpoint from which they could view a famous castle—it inspired the one in Disney's
—before allegedly pushing both over a steep cliff, reports CBS...
Cops: Female US Tourist
Killed in Germany
Jun 15, 2023 1:47 PM CDT
Cops: Female US Tourist Killed in Germany
An American man is in custody; another US woman was seriously hurt near famed castle
- An American man has been arrested in the death of a US tourist and an assault on another near Neuschwanstein castle in southern Germany after he allegedly pushed the two women down a steep slope, authorities said Thursday. The incident near the popular tourist attraction happened on Wednesday afternoon near...
Pot Dealer, 82, Gets
'Very Last Warning'
Jun 5, 2023 6:25 PM CDT
Pot Dealer, 82, Gets 'Very Last Warning'
Retired seaman in Germany has 24 previous convictions
- A retired sailor in Germany has been warned that he needs to retire from marijuana dealing as well. The 82-year-old man, who has 24 previous convictions and an ongoing suspended sentence, was convicted of selling several dozen grams of pot, but judges at a district court in eastern Germany decided...
Cops: Man Who Tried to Kill
Rescue Workers Was Living
With Mother's Corpse
May 23, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Cops: Man Who Tried to Kill Rescue Workers Was Living With Mother's Corpse
Authorities say German man set police, firefighters on fire
- A German man accused of trying to kill emergency workers by setting them on fire had been living with his mother's corpse in a high-rise apartment packed full of canned food, bottled water, toilet paper, and other supplies, investigators say. The 57-year-old man has been charged with nine counts...
2 Russian Exiles May Have
Been Poisoned Abroad
May 22, 2023 7:35 AM CDT
2 Russian Exiles May Have Been Poisoned Abroad
Germany is investigating pair of cases at forum organized by a Kremlin critic
- It's become a familiar tale among critics of the Kremlin: Two more may have been poisoned in Germany. Police there have opened an investigation after two women became ill while attending a forum in Berlin last month organized by Russia critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky, reports Reuters . One is Natalia Arno,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.