Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Sound Coming From Sewer
Was Cause for Celebration
Jun 28, 2022 3:20 PM CDT
Sound Coming From Sewer Was Cause for Celebration
Boy in Germany found after being trapped for 8 days
- Hearing a noise come from a manhole cover sounds like an ominous happening, but in the German town of Oldenburg, it was a joyous occurrence. The sound—which euronews describes as "whimpering"—turned out to be made by an 8-year-old boy who had vanished on June 17. A...
Nazi Camp Guard
Convicted at 101
Jun 28, 2022 7:28 AM CDT
Nazi Camp Guard Convicted at 101
Josef Schuetz gets 5 years for accessory to murder
- A 101-year-old former guard at a Nazi concentration camp, who was the oldest Nazi criminal ever to stand trial in a German court, has been sentenced to five years in prison. The man identified by AFP as Josef Schuetz, who worked at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp near Berlin from 1942...
As Russia Cuts
Gas Flow, One
It's in 'Crisis'
Jun 23, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
As Russia Cuts Gas Flow, One Nation Says It's in 'Crisis'
Germany says storage targets for winter are at risk as Russia reduces energy deliveries to EU nations
- Germany activated the second phase of its three-stage emergency plan for natural gas supplies Thursday, warning that Europe's biggest economy faces a "crisis" and that storage targets for the winter are at risk. The government said the decision follows cuts Russia made to natural gas flows starting last...
'Carnage' in Berlin After
Driver Hits School Group
Jun 8, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
'Carnage' in Berlin After Driver Hits School Group
Police are trying to determine whether deadly incident was intentional
- A man drove a car into a German school group standing in a popular Berlin shopping district Wednesday, killing a teacher and seriously injuring nine people, authorities said. The man drove into people on a street corner around 10:30am before getting the car back on the road and then...
Woman Who Posed as Doctor
Gets Life for Patient Deaths
May 25, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Woman Who Posed as Doctor Gets Life for Patient Deaths
German woman was sentenced on 3 counts of murder, 10 of attempted murder
- A German court on Wednesday sentenced a woman who posed as a doctor to life in prison for causing the deaths of several people she treated. Judges at the regional court in Kassel said the evidence showed the 51-year-old woman, whose name was not given in line with German privacy...
Germany: We're Moving
to End Russian 'Blackmail'
May 2, 2022 2:07 PM CDT
Germany: We're Moving to End Russian 'Blackmail'
Big importer of Russia's oil aims to be free of it by late summer
- Germany says it’s making progress on weaning itself off Russian fossil fuels and expects to be fully independent of Russian crude oil imports by late summer, per the AP . Economy and Climate Minister Robert Habeck said Sunday that Europe’s largest economy has reduced the share of Russian energy...
Protest Opposes Destroying
Village to Expand Coal Mine
Apr 23, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
Protest Opposes Destroying Village to Expand Coal Mine
Last farmer has lost case in German courts against eviction
- Thousands of people on Saturday protested plans to bulldoze a village in western Germany to expand a coal mine that environmental activists say should be shut down, not enlarged. The German news agency dpa quoted police as saying that the demonstration in Luetzerath, 25 miles west of Cologne, was peaceful....
Millionaire Who Hit 257mph
on Autobahn Won't Be Charged
Apr 22, 2022 4:09 PM CDT
Millionaire Who Hit 257mph on Autobahn Won't Be Charged
Road was straight, visibility good, driver says
- Prosecutors have decided not to press charges against a Czech millionaire who drove a high-powered sportscar along a German highway at speeds of at least 257mph. Germany's dpa news agency reported Friday that prosecutors in the town of Stendal reviewed footage of the stunt and concluded that Radim Passer...
Germany: We Unmasked Plot to
Plunge Country Into Darkness
Apr 14, 2022 2:41 PM CDT
Germany: We Unmasked Plot to Plunge Country Into Darkness
Group linked to far-right movements hoped to trigger civil war conditions: police
- A group linked to far-right movements in Germany plotted to "overthrow the democratic system" by trigging a nationwide blackout and civil war conditions, authorities say. The plot also involved kidnapping Health Minister Karl Lauterbach and other high-profile figures, according to the BBC . Authorities searched 20 properties in several states...
Germany Picks Up Russian Talk
About Killing Ukrainian Civilians
Apr 7, 2022 5:11 PM CDT
Germany Picks Up Russian Talk About Killing Ukrainian Civilians
Intelligence service briefs lawmakers on satellite images, intercepted radio traffic
- More evidence has surfaced that despite Russia's denials, its forces have committed atrocities in Ukraine. Germany's foreign intelligence service has briefed members of its parliament,
reports, about satellite images it has showing Russian involvement, as well as radio chatter it intercepted about civilian deaths. Ukrainian officials...
Police: Suspect Had as Many as
90 Vaccine Shots in Card Scam
Apr 3, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Police: Suspect Had as Many as 90 Vaccine Shots in Card Scam
Forged passes have a market in Germany among COVID deniers and others who don't want to be vaccinated
- A 60-year-old man allegedly had himself vaccinated against COVID-19 dozens of times in Germany in order to sell forged vaccination cards with real vaccine batch numbers to people not wanting to get vaccinated themselves. The man from the eastern Germany city of Magdeburg, whose name was not released in line...
Germany: Letter 'Z'
Could Mean Jail
Mar 29, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Germany: Letter 'Z' Could Mean Jail
Authorities to investigate use of the pro-war symbol, which symbolizes victory for Russia
- People who display the letter "Z" as a show of support for Russia's war in Ukraine could now face prosecution in Germany. The interior minister for the state of Berlin said Monday that authorities will handle cases where the "Z" symbol—which stands for the Russian phrase...
Anchor From Kyiv
to Deliver News
Mar 19, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Anchor From Kyiv to Deliver News to Refugees
German broadcaster already plans to expand 'Ukraine Update'
- German broadcaster RTL has hired a Ukrainian presenter to host a daily news show for others who have fled their homeland after the Russian invasion. The commercial broadcaster said Karolina Ashion will present a 10-minute Ukrainian-language news program Mondays to Fridays addressed to the almost 200,000 people who have...
Europeans, Pope Denounce War
Mar 13, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Europeans, Pope Denounce War
Francis calls Russia's killing of civilians, including children, 'barbarianism'
- Tens of thousands of people rallied Sunday in cities across Europe to protest Russia's war in Ukraine, with small vigils taking place in Russia as well despite a crackdown by authorities against such demonstrations. German trade unions called a protest in Berlin, the AP reports. The march led from...
Germany Reverses, Will Send
Lethal Arms to Ukraine
Feb 26, 2022 2:10 PM CST
Germany Reverses, Will Send Lethal Arms to Ukraine
Major policy change could lead to shipments from other nations
- After resisting the idea for months, Germany reversed course Saturday and agreed to send 1,000 antitank weapons and 500 Stinger missiles to Ukraine to fight off the Russian invasion. There have been exceptions, but Germany has long avoided sending lethal weapons to any nation's battle zone, the
Europe Needs Russia's Gas.
That's a Grave Weakness
Feb 24, 2022 9:45 AM CST
Europe Needs Russia's Gas. That's a Grave Weakness
A look at the implications of the world's dependence on Russian natural gas
- One of Russia's most powerful weapons isn't a weapon at all. It's natural gas. As Kenneth C. Griffin and Niall Ferguson write in a
Wall Street Journal
op-ed, "Without Russian energy, European citizens would struggle to get through winter. Mr. Putin has long understood the leverage...
Champagne Spiked With
Ecstasy Proves Fatal
Feb 14, 2022 9:10 AM CST
Champagne Spiked With Ecstasy Proves Fatal
One man dies, 8 others hospitalized in Germany
- One man died and eight other people were hospitalized in serious condition after unknowingly drinking Champagne spiked with ecstasy at a bar in Bavaria, German prosecutors said Monday. The man who died was 52, and the others were between 33 and 52, police told the German news agency dpa, per...
Feb 7, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Biden: Invasion Threatens Pipeline
4 nations' leaders confer about Ukraine crisis in 2 meetings
- In a flurry of diplomacy across two continents, President Biden emerged from a meeting with Germany's new leader Monday vowing the crucial Nord Stream 2 Russia-to-Germany gas pipeline would be blocked if Russia further invades Ukraine. Russian President Vladimir Putin said the US and its allies were the only...
Germany Is Returning Remains
of Dozens of Native Hawaiians
Feb 7, 2022 2:16 PM CST
Germany Is Returning Remains of Dozens of Native Hawaiians
'Human remains from colonial contexts have no place in our museums and universities'
- The body overseeing Berlin's museums will hand over Hawaiian ancestral remains collected by a German naturalist in the 19th century to authorities in Hawaii. The Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation said Monday that the remains of 32 individuals, known as "iwi kupuna," will be handed over Friday to...
Biden Sending Thousands
More Troops to Europe
Feb 2, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Biden Sending Thousands More Troops to Europe
US move meant to show support to NATO allies as tensions continue between Ukraine, Russia
- President Biden is sending about 2,000 troops from Fort Bragg, NC, to Poland and Germany this week, as well as sending part of an infantry Stryker squadron of roughly 1,000 troops based in Germany to Romania, a senior administration official said Wednesday, per the AP . The military moves...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
2 Cosby Show Guest Actors Join Sexual Assault Lawsuit
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.