Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We're Not Far From a
Lyme Disease Vaccine
Apr 25, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
We're Not Far From a Lyme Disease Vaccine
As cases rise, Pfizer and Moderna focus attention on fighting tick-borne bacteria
- There hasn't been a human vaccine for Lyme disease on the market in the US for 20 years, but that could change in as little as two years. Pfizer and Valneva have begun late-stage clinical trials on their vaccine candidate, VLA15, and say it could be ready for approval...
A Tick in Delaware
Doesn't Bode Well for Hikers
Mar 12, 2023 2:30 PM CDT
A Tick in Delaware Doesn't Bode Well for Hikers
Tiny parasite showed up in February, weeks earlier than normal
- In Delaware, ticks don't usually show up until early March. This year, however, Backpacker reports that state environmental scientist Wil Winter discovered a lone star tick on February 11, three weeks earlier than usual. Lone stars don't usually carry Lyme disease , one of the most commonly-known tick-borne...
Shania's Reference to 'Air'
in New Song Is Revealing
Sep 30, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Shania's Reference to 'Air' in New Song Is Revealing
Singer, 57, says in Netflix documentary it's about her life-threatening bout with COVID
- A new Shania Twain documentary,
Not Just a Girl
, debuted over the summer on Netflix , and one portion is now gaining traction. The film tracks the 57-year-old Canadian singer and songwriter as she puts together her sixth album, and the BBC describes one of the songs on it—"What...
Researchers Say a Shot
Might Prevent Lyme Disease
Aug 17, 2021 1:34 PM CDT
Researchers Say a Shot Might Prevent Lyme Disease
Lyme PrEP is currently in clinical trials
- Lyme disease is becoming more and more common. Once a rare affliction found in just a few parts of the US, mainly in the Northeast and Great Lakes, it has now turned up in all 50 states. The ticks that carry it have spread farther south and west. Scientists have...
Ticks Have Invaded
an Unlikely Place
Apr 26, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
Ticks Have Invaded an Unlikely Place
Those that carry Lyme disease are just as likely to be found at the beach as in the woods
- Love the outdoors but hate ticks? Well, a new study has unfortunate news for you: Even the beach is not safe, at least in the northwestern part of California where it was carried out. Researchers found that adult black-legged ticks carrying
, which causes Lyme disease, were just as...
I Have Lyme
Sep 9, 2020 11:28 AM CDT
Amy Schumer: I Have Lyme Disease
Comedian makes her reveal on Instagram
- Can you drink wine if you have Lyme disease? Amy Schumer wants to know. That's because the 39-year-old actress and comedian says she recently found out she has the tick-borne illness, and it may not be from a recent tick bite. Schumer made the announcement in a Tuesday Instagram...
One State Is Easily
the Worst for Lyme Disease
Jul 13, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
One State Is Easily the Worst for Lyme Disease
- COVID-19 may be stealing all the headlines, but this is also prime season for Lyme disease. The tick-borne illness has been reported in every state, though it's far more prevalent in some places than others, notes 24/7 Wall Street in a new ranking. Maine earns the unwanted distinction of...
Justin Bieber Discloses
Jan 9, 2020 1:00 AM CST
Justin Bieber Discloses Health Problems
Singer says he's been fighting Lyme Disease, chronic mono
- Saying "it's been a rough couple years," Justin Bieber announced Wednesday that he has Lyme disease. The singer disclosed his health problems on Instagram , CNN reports, answering those who had said recently that he doesn't look well and might be using meth. In addition to fighting...
House Backs Probe
of Whether Military
Used Ticks to Spread
Jul 16, 2019 7:34 PM CDT
House Backs Probe of Whether Military Used Ticks to Spread Lyme Disease
Lawmaker hopes to push efforts for a cure
- A measure in Congress calls for an investigation into whether the military tried to put pathogens into ticks so they could be used as biological weapons. Rep. Chris Smith hopes a probe could answer whether the chronic illness was spread in this country by a weapons program and possibly lead...
This Is Not the Usual
Lyme Disease Tale
Jun 28, 2019 1:50 PM CDT
This Is Not the Usual Lyme Disease Tale
What many don't realize: In most cases, the ailment is easily treatable
- Horror stories about Lyme disease abound, as Apoorva Mandavilli discovered when she started telling people that her 9-year-old son had been diagnosed. Everybody seems to know someone, or knows somebody who knows someone, who is suffering awful symptoms that never seem to go away. But as Mandavilli writes in a...
Carried by Ticks
Jun 3, 2019 5:16 PM CDT
Researchers Find Another Disease Carried by Ticks
In the US, there are at least 16
- Researchers have identified a new disease carried by a tick in Inner Mongolia. In the US alone, at least 16 diseases have been identified that ticks can pass on to humans, NPR reports. The discovery, disclosed in a study in the
New England Journal of Medicine
, means that we don'...
Spray Your Clothes With This
Chemical to Keep Ticks Away
May 28, 2018 5:37 AM CDT
Spray Your Clothes With This Chemical to Keep Ticks Away
The CDC says an insecticide called permethrin causes ticks to fall from clothing
- In an especially nasty year for ticks, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a statement about a possible method for preventing the spread of diseases carried by their bites, Live Science reports. By spraying clothing with an insecticide called permethrin, experts believe you can cause the...
A Mom's Natural Tick Spray
Shows Promise in Tests
in case you missed it
May 19, 2018 1:15 PM CDT
A Mom's Natural Tick Spray Shows Promise in Tests
Lisa Ali's AtlanTick spray wards off most ticks in studies at Canadian university
- The story begins in all-too-familiar fashion: A mom discovers that her two young sons were bitten by ticks and developed Lyme disease as a result. Then comes the not-so-typical twist: The same mom develops an all-natural tick spray that is showing promise in tests at a Canadian university. As the...
More Than Tripled
May 2, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Tick, Mosquito Infections Have More Than Tripled
Bloodsucker season is getting longer, CDC warns
- The number of Americans catching diseases from tiny bloodsucking creatures is going up at an alarming rate, federal authorities warn. According to the latest report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the number of reported illnesses caused by ticks, mosquitoes, and fleas more than tripled between 2004 and...
Lethal Tick Bite Claims
Woman in Missouri
Jul 14, 2017 8:52 AM CDT
Lethal Tick Bite Claims Woman in Missouri
Tamela Wilson is fifth known person to have contracted the Bourbon virus
- Tamela Wilson was no stranger to tick bites. The 58-year-old assistant superintendent at Meramec State Park in Missouri had worked at a state park for more than a decade and would pick the bugs off her skin routinely, reports CBS News . But in late May, just four days after she...
Alec Baldwin: I Thought Lyme
Disease Was Going to Kill Me
May 22, 2017 1:00 PM CDT
Alec Baldwin: I Thought Lyme Disease Was Going to Kill Me
Actor talks about his struggle at California benefit
- Alec Baldwin had a busy weekend: Fresh off his latest turn as President Trump on
Saturday Night Live,
the actor was in California on Sunday at a Lyme disease benefit and talking about his own struggle with Lyme. After first getting bitten 17 years ago, he was bitten again a...
Deadly Tick Disease Has
Experts Issuing Dire Warnings
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 7, 2017 7:13 AM CDT
Deadly Tick Disease Has Experts Issuing Dire Warnings
Expert says we should be 'very scared' about Powassan virus
- There's an emerging tick-borne disease spreading across the US, and it has infectious disease experts sounding the alarm. The so-called Powassan virus, which the CDC reports is related to West Nile, is still very rare, with only about 75 cases reported in the past decade. But it is far...
Lyme Disease Ticks Spread
to Half of All US Counties
Jan 19, 2016 7:10 AM CST
Lyme Disease Ticks Spread to Half of All US Counties
Which is why cases have tripled since 1990s
- Nearly half of all counties in the US are now home to ticks that carry Lyme disease, including areas where they'd never before been documented, researchers at the CDC report in the
Journal of Medical Entomology
. That's up from 30% of counties in 1998, with the
Bad News: Lyme Disease
Jul 16, 2015 6:11 PM CDT
Bad News: Lyme Disease Is Spreading
It's no longer just the Northeast's problem
- Lyme disease may be coming to a state near you. The debilitating and potentially deadly illness is spreading from the Northeast, with four times as many high-risk counties (182) than in 1993, NBC News reports. The center of infection has shifted from northern New Jersey to east-central Pennsylvania, and 15...
of Lyme Disease
Dead at 89
Nov 20, 2014 4:21 PM CST
Scientist Who Found Cause of Lyme Disease Dead at 89
Willy Burgdorfer discovered tick-borne bacteria
- A researcher who figured out how people were contracting a new ailment called Lyme disease in the early 1980s has died at age 89, reports NBC Montana . Swiss-born Willy Burgdorfer made the discovery while not even looking for it. He was dissecting deer ticks sent from Long Island that were...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.