Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Lukashenko: Wagner Chief
Is Back in Russia
Jul 6, 2023 7:00 AM CDT
Lukashenko: Wagner Chief Is Back in Russia
He says no decision has been made on Wagner fighters moving to Belarus
- Wagner Group leader Yevgeny Prigozhin reportedly went to Belarus last week as part of the deal to end the mercenary group's mutiny against Russian military leadership—and while some observers expected him to end up falling out of a tall building in Minsk, he is now back in Russia,...
Deputies: Boys' Theft of
Maserati Turned Deadly
Oct 3, 2022 8:59 AM CDT
Deputies: Boys' Theft of Maserati Turned Deadly
One teen has died, 2 others are badly injured after alleged car theft in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- One teen is dead and two others seriously hurt after an apparent high-speed joyride in Florida over the weekend. Gray News reports that deputies were responding to a call about a vehicle burglary in progress in St. Petersburg on Sunday around 3:20am, with the assistance of a flight unit,...
In Secret Recording, One GOP
Candidate Threatened Another
Jun 17, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
In Secret Recording, One GOP Candidate Threatened Another
Fla.'s William Braddock warned of possible 'hit squad' for Anna Paulina Luna, per Politico
- Days after a Republican congressional candidate in Florida accused a rival of plotting to kill her , the tape is out. "I really don't want to have to end anybody's life for the good of the people of the United States of America ... but if it needs to...
19, Killed by Puck
Mar 17, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Hockey Player, 19, Killed by Puck
Timur Faizutdinov was struck in the head, collapsed during Friday game
- A 19-year-old Russian hockey player has died after being hit in the head by a puck, his team announced Tuesday. Defenseman Timur Faizutdinov of the Dynamo St. Petersburg's junior hockey team was struck in the head by a puck hit from center ice during a Friday playoff game against...
Prof Busted With Severed Arms
in Backpack Convicted
Dec 25, 2020 9:03 AM CST
Prof Busted With Severed Arms in Backpack Convicted
Oleg Sokolov gets 12.5 years in the murder, dismemberment of student Anastasia Yeshchenko
- A court in St. Petersburg on Friday convicted a prominent history professor on charges of murdering and dismembering a female student and sentenced him to 12 1/2 years in prison, reports the AP . The court found 64-year-old Oleg Sokolov, who taught at St. Petersburg State University, guilty of shooting and...
Gave Away Squatter
Aug 17, 2020 7:09 AM CDT
Cops: Blankets Gave Away Squatter in Stadium's Luxury Suite
'He made himself quite at home': Fla. police on homeless man's alleged 2-week stay at stadium
- Al Lang Stadium in St. Petersburg is the home of the Tampa Bay Rowdies pro soccer team—and for at least two weeks, it was also the home of an uninvited visitor. Police in the Florida city say Daniel Albert Neja, a 39-year-old homeless man, was arrested Sunday evening at...
Cops Find Famous Prof in River,
Human Arms in His Backpack
Nov 10, 2019 7:11 AM CST
Cops Find Famous Prof in River, Human Arms in His Backpack
Oleg Sokolov is being questioned in murder of his 24-year-old student
- The police statement begins thusly: "A 63-year-old man was rescued from the River Moika" in the Russian city of St. Petersburg, reports the AP . It then descends promptly into the realm of the utterly inconceivable. Police say that 63-year-old man is renowned historian Oleg Sokolov, that he was carrying...
Oct 18, 2019 9:14 AM CDT
Former NFLer Donates 173rd Home: This Is 'Therapy'
Warrick Dunn's mom was killed when he was 18; his mission has been to help single parents
- After struggling through some recent hard times that led her to move back in with her mother, LaToya Reed and her 18-year-old son, AnTrez, received a most welcome gift on Tuesday: a fully furnished two-bedroom home in St. Petersburg, Fla. The house offering was thanks to a partnership between Habitat...
Rays Could Become
a Team of Two Cities
Jun 20, 2019 6:29 PM CDT
Rays Could Become a Team of Two Cities
Tampa Bay considers splitting home dates with Montreal
- With the wisdom of Solomon, maybe, Major League Baseball has given the Tampa Bay Rays permission to look into permanently playing home games in Montreal. After years of failing to win support for a new stadium where they are, ESPN reports, the Rays see the two-hometowns possibility as the most...
Guess What Someone's
Accused of Stealing
From Red Lobster
Nov 15, 2018 11:36 AM CST
Guess What Someone's Accused of Stealing From Red Lobster
If you guessed a lobster, you'd be correct
- You may not make the news if you simply steal a lobster, but if you're accused of taking it from a place named after the crustacean, you could be guaranteed a place among the day's headlines. That's what happened in St. Petersburg, Fla., where a 42-year-old woman...
Putin to Security
Dec 28, 2017 4:00 PM CST
Putin to Security Forces: 'Liquidate' Terror Suspects
After St. Petersburg explosion, Putin tells agents to 'take no prisoners' if suspects threaten their lives
- Vladimir Putin is running for re-election as Russia's president, and one thing he apparently wants to make clear to citizens is his stance on terrorism. He got that chance Thursday while commenting on Wednesday's supermarket explosion in St. Petersburg , which injured at least a dozen people and has...
Weeks After Trump Tip,
Blast Hits St. Petersburg
Dec 28, 2017 1:52 AM CST
Weeks After Trump Tip, Blast Hits St. Petersburg
At least 10 hurt in supermarket explosion
- At least 10 people were injured Wednesday by an explosion at a supermarket in St. Petersburg, Russia's second-largest city and the site of a deadly subway bombing this year. The Investigative Committee, the nation's top investigative agency, said a device containing 7 ounces of explosives went off at...
Russia Takes US Diplomatic
Parking Spots in Ongoing Spat
Sep 13, 2017 12:46 PM CDT
Russia Takes US Diplomatic Parking Spots in Ongoing Spat
Russia says it's seeking 'full parity' with US diplomats
- It appears US diplomats in Russia will be spending less time trying to smooth relations with that country and more time circling the block after Moscow revoked diplomatic parking privileges in two cities, the AP reports. According to a report from Russian state-owned TV, officials painted over parking spots outside...
These 10 Cities
Better Hope They
Avoid a Hurricane
Jul 7, 2017 11:53 AM CDT
These 10 Cities Better Hope They Avoid a Hurricane
The damage would be brutal: 24/7 Wall St.
- Florida may be the place to go for sunshine, but it's the place to escape if a hurricane hits. The state is home to a number of the US cities that are "vulnerable to the greatest damage" at the hands of a hurricane, reports 24/7 Wall St , which...
Russia Bomb Suspect
'Linked to Islamic Radicals'
Apr 4, 2017 6:03 AM CDT
Russia Bomb Suspect 'Linked to Islamic Radicals'
Suspected named as Kyrgyz man Akbarzhon Jalilov
- The suspect behind a deadly terrorist attack on a St. Petersburg subway station was a 23-year-old man from a former Soviet republic in Central Asia who had links to Islamist radical groups, according to reports in the Russian media. Reuters reports that officials in Kyrgyzstan have identified the suspect as...
At Least 10 Dead After
Russia Subway Explosion
Apr 3, 2017 7:53 AM CDT
At Least 10 Dead After Russia Subway Explosion
Dozens more are injured in St. Petersburg
- At least 10 people were killed and 50 others injured Monday when an explosion ripped through a subway train in St. Petersburg, the spokesman for the city's governor told Russian television. President Vladimir Putin, who was visiting the city on an unrelated trip Monday, said investigators were looking into...
Who Won't Stop
Dec 16, 2015 7:54 AM CST
Cops: Kid Who Won't Stop Stealing Cars Busted Again
He's only 12, has more than 20 arrests
- It might seem difficult to discern the thief in a grainy surveillance video , but police didn't have much trouble, per WFLA . After a boy made off with an 89-year-old man's vehicle in St. Petersburg, Fla., last week, police arrested a suspect they know pretty well: a 12-year-old who'...
US Mayors Call for
Ban on Donald Trump
Dec 8, 2015 2:40 PM CST
US Mayors Call for Ban on Donald Trump
At least 'until we fully understand the dangerous threat posed by all Trumps'
- Well, well, well. It looks like the ridiculous hairdo is on the other head. In the wake of Trump proposing a ban on Muslims entering the US , two US mayors have expressed interest in doing the same to Trump. "I am hereby barring Donald Trump from entering St. Petersburg...
After Putin Diss,
Obama to Meet
Russian Gay Activists
Sep 2, 2013 4:57 PM CDT
After Putin Diss, Obama to Meet Russian Gay Activists
Prediction: the Kremlin will not be amused
- Looks like President Obama has found something to fill the time he won't spend meeting with Vladimir Putin during the G20 summit in Russia this week: he's going to meet with gay rights activists instead. Buzzfeed confirms that LGBT organization Coming Out, human rights activists Lev Ponomarev and...
Dec 19, 2012 1:19 AM CST
Russian Soccer Fans Demand All-White Team
Zenit St. Petersburg coach slams 'stupidity'
- To the disgust of soccer authorities, fans of one of Russia's biggest teams are demanding the club exclude non-white and gay players. Zenit St. Petersburg's largest supporters' group issued an open letter to the team saying black players were "forced down Zenit's throat" and gay players...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Dallas Mayor Switches Parties
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.