Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Stocks Jump After
Big News From Fed
Jun 10, 2020 1:57 PM CDT
Stocks Jump After Big News From Fed
Interest rates expected to stay near zero until 2022
- The Federal Reserve said Wednesday that it will keep buying bonds to maintain low borrowing rates and support a US economy mired in a deep recession with high unemployment. And it said nearly all its policymakers foresee no rate hikes through 2022. The Fed has cut its benchmark short-term rate...
Fed Indicates It Will Hold
Rates Near Zero for Months
Apr 29, 2020 2:17 PM CDT
Fed Indicates It Will Hold Rates Near Zero for Months
Fed will also keep buying Treasury and mortgage bonds
- The Federal Reserve signaled Wednesday that it will keep its key short-term interest rate near zero for the foreseeable future as part of its extraordinary efforts to bolster an economy that is sinking into its worst crisis since the 1930s. As part of its emergency steps, the Fed said it...
Fed Responds to Coronavirus
Outbreak With Big Rate Cut
Mar 15, 2020 4:22 PM CDT
Fed Responds to Coronavirus Outbreak With Big Rate Cut
The benchmark interest rate is reduced to nearly zero
- The Federal Reserve took emergency action Sunday and slashed its benchmark interest rate by a full percentage point to nearly zero and announced it would purchase more Treasury securities to encourage lending to try to offset the impact of the coronavirus outbreak, the AP reports. The central bank said the...
Fed Leaves Key Rate Unchanged
Jan 29, 2020 1:32 PM CST
Fed Leaves Key Rate Unchanged
Key interest rate remains at 1.5% to 1.75%
- The Federal Reserve kept its key interest rate unchanged at a low level Wednesday amid an economy that looks solid but faces potential global threats, including from China’s viral outbreak. The Fed sketched a mostly bright picture of the US economy in the statement it released after its latest...
Fed Doesn't Mess With Rates
and Doesn't Expect to in 2020
Dec 11, 2019 1:43 PM CST
Fed Doesn't Mess With Rates and Doesn't Expect to in 2020
It removes language about 'uncertainties'
- The Federal Reserve had signaled a pause was coming, and on Wednesday that's what we got. Following a series of three rate cuts, the Fed at its December meeting kept its benchmark interest rate unchanged at between 1.5% and 1.75%. And should their expectations for the economy...
Sharply Divided Fed
Again Reduces Rates
Sep 18, 2019 2:31 PM CDT
Sharply Divided Fed Again Reduces Rates
But may not do so again this year
- A sharply divided Federal Reserve cut its benchmark interest rate Wednesday for a second time this year but declined to signal that further rate cuts are likely this year, the AP reports. The Fed's move reduces its key short-term rate—which influences many consumer and business loans—by an...
Trump: Fed 'Boneheads' Need
to Try Negative Interest Rates
Sep 11, 2019 2:25 PM CDT
Trump: Fed 'Boneheads' Need to Try Negative Interest Rates
President is once again criticizing Jerome Powell and his colleagues
- President Trump continued his long-running critique of the Federal Reserve Wednesday in a series of tweets blasting his own hand-picked chair, Jerome Powell, and the rest of the "Boneheads" there who, he said, need to be slashing interest rates below zero—a far cry from the comparatively moderate rate...
Aug 15, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
Trump Blasts 'Crazy Inverted Yield Curve'
Economists are split on signs of a recession
- President Trump says the American economy is doing magnificently and we are "winning, big time, against China"—but one of the things still holding the economy back is the Federal Reserve chairman he appointed. In a pair of tweets Wednesday, Trump renewed his attacks on Jerome Powell, calling...
The Fed Just Made
a Major Reversal
Jul 31, 2019 1:22 PM CDT
The Fed Just Made a Major Reversal
Cuts key interest rate by a quarter-point
- As expected, the Federal Reserve on Wednesday cut its key interest rate for the first time since December 2008. The benchmark short-term rate was lowered by a quarter-point to a range of 2% to 2.25%, the AP reports. The Fed also repeated a pledge to "act as appropriate...
Fed Chief Indicates
We're In for a Rate Cut
Jul 10, 2019 9:48 AM CDT
Fed Chief Indicates We're In for a Rate Cut
Possibly as soon as the July meeting
- The S&P 500 crossed the 3,000 threshold for the first time ever Wednesday, as expectations for a July rate cut rise, reports CNBC . Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said Wednesday that "many" Fed officials believe a weakening global economy and rising trade tensions have strengthened the case...
Fed Drops the
Jun 19, 2019 1:49 PM CDT
Fed Drops the Word 'Patient' From Its Statement
Some say that could suggest the Fed is now inclined to begin cutting rates
- The Federal Reserve left its key interest rate unchanged Wednesday but signaled that it's prepared to start cutting rates if needed to protect the US economy from trade conflicts and other threats. The Fed kept its benchmark rate—which influences many consumer and business loans—in a range of...
Why It's Possible the Fed's
Next Rate Change Is a Cut
May 1, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
Why It's Possible the Fed's Next Rate Change Is a Cut
Inflation isn't where the Fed likes it to be
- The Federal Reserve left its key interest rate unchanged Wednesday and signaled that no rate hikes are likely in coming months amid signs of renewed economic health but unusually low inflation. The Fed left its benchmark rate—which influences many consumer and business loans—in a range of 2.25%...
Fed Ends 2018
With a 4th Rate Hike
Dec 19, 2018 1:39 PM CST
Fed Ends 2018 With a 4th Rate Hike
But it signals there will be fewer coming down the pike
- The finally tally for 2018 will be four interest-rate hikes by the Federal Reserve, but the 2019 count will likely be half of that. The Fed on Wednesday announced a quarter-point increase for its key interest rate to a range of 2.25% to 2.5%. That's the highest...
The Markets Like What
Fed Chair Powell Has to Say
Nov 28, 2018 12:32 PM CST
The Markets Like What Fed Chair Powell Has to Say
Seemed to suggest Federal Reserve could pause interest rate hikes next year
- Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell cast a bright picture of the US economy Wednesday and appeared to suggest that the Fed might consider a pause in its interest rate hikes next year to assess the impact of its credit tightening. Powell's comments ignited a rally on Wall Street, with...
Fed Again Hikes
Sep 26, 2018 1:38 PM CDT
Fed Again Hikes Interest Rates
And marks the end of 'accommodative' policy era
- Federal Reserve officials voted Wednesday to raise a key, short term interest rate for the third time this year, the AP reports. Investors largely expected an increase in the federal funds rate—the interest that banks charge each other—based off public statements by Fed officials. The benchmark overnight lending...
Fed Keeps Key
Interest Rate Unchanged
Aug 1, 2018 2:34 PM CDT
Fed Keeps Key Interest Rate Unchanged
Signals future rate hikes
- The Federal Reserve on Wednesday left its benchmark interest rate unchanged while signaling further gradual rate hikes in the months ahead as long as the economy stays healthy, the AP reports. The Fed's widely expected decision kept the central bank's key short-term rate at 1.75% to 2%—...
Fed Lifts Interest
Jun 13, 2018 2:58 PM CDT
Fed Lifts Interest Rates, Expects 3.6% Unemployment
Fed: US economy has strengthened considerably since the 2007-2008 recession and is in 'great shape'
- The Federal Reserve has hiked the short-term interest rate a quarter of a percentage point, to a range of 1.75% to 2%, and suggested that two more increases are likely to occur this year, for a total of four in 2018, reports CNBC . The rate is closely tied to...
Interest Rates Hit a Milestone
for First Time Since 2008
Jun 15, 2017 1:20 AM CDT
Interest Rates Hit a Milestone for First Time Since 2008
Fed signals belief in strong economy
- The Federal Reserve signaled confidence in a strong economy Wednesday with its second interest rate hike of 2017, bringing its benchmark rate up a quarter-point to push it over 1% for the first time since the 2008 financial crisis. The move, which brings the range to between 1% and 1....
The Fed Likely to Raise
Interest Rates This Month
Mar 3, 2017 1:17 PM CST
The Fed Likely to Raise Interest Rates This Month
Janet Yellen signaled as much in a speech Friday
- Janet Yellen signaled Friday that the Fed will likely resume raising interest rates later this month to reflect a strengthening job market and inflation edging toward the central bank's 2% target rate, the AP reports. The Federal Reserve chair also said that the Fed expects steady economic improvement to...
Stay Mum on One
Big Question Today
Feb 14, 2017 7:52 AM CST
Yellen Could Stay Mum on One Big Question Today
Congress sure to ask about Fed's possible reaction to Trump's economic plan
- Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen faces two tasks when she delivers her semiannual testimony to Congress starting Tuesday: As always, she'll sketch a picture of how she expects the economy to fare in coming months and how the Fed's interest rate policy may unfold. (In December, the Fed...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.