Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Walt Disney Co.
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Disney, No More 'Fairy
Godmothers in Training'
Jul 22, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
At Disney, No More 'Fairy Godmothers in Training'
Theme parks will use the gender-neutral 'apprentice'
- Employees who help transform children through the magic of makeup and costumes into Disney characters at the company's theme parks will have a new job title, in an attempt to be more inclusive. The cast members at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutiques will be called "Fairy Godmother's Apprentices"...
Companies to Cover
Abortion Travel Expenses
Jun 24, 2022 5:35 PM CDT
Companies to Cover Abortion Travel Expenses
Disney joins corporations helping employees receive services 'no matter where they live'
- The Walt Disney Co. on Friday joined a growing list of companies offering to pay travel expenses for employees seeking abortion services. Saying it realizes the effects of the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, Disney said it will cover travel costs for employees and their families...
Disney Plus Loses Cash Fast,
Even as It Adds Subscribers
May 12, 2022 6:47 PM CDT
Disney Plus Loses Cash Fast, Even as It Adds Subscribers
7.9 million customers sign up in the latest quarter
- Walt Disney Co.'s earnings report showed its streaming business has avoided the problems that have befallen Netflix and CNN+. Disney Plus signed up another 7.9 million subscribers during the first three months of 2022, the Verge reports. Among all of its streaming services, which include ESPN Plus...
Senator Moves to Strip
'Woke' Disney of Copyrights
May 11, 2022 1:48 PM CDT
Senator Moves to Strip 'Woke' Disney of Copyrights
Josh Hawley wants to reduce protection term from 95 years to 56 years
- Sen. Josh Hawley has taken the Republican attacks on Disney to a new level: The senator introduced a bill Tuesday that would undo decades of copyright law for large corporations, retroactively stripping Disney of its rights to many characters, the Hill reports. In a press release, Hawley made it clear...
A Disney Heir Comes Out
Apr 11, 2022 6:41 PM CDT
A Disney Heir Comes Out as Transgender
Family launches effort to fight 'Don't Say Gay' bill and similar efforts
- An heir to the Walt Disney Co. has come out as transgender, announcing a family effort to support LGBTQ rights and oppose new legislation that threatens them. Charlee Disney came out publicly last month at the Human Rights Campaign's annual gala after coming out privately four years ago, NBC...
Developments to Provide
a Disney Lifestyle for Fans
Feb 16, 2022 4:47 PM CST
Developments to Provide a Disney Lifestyle for Fans
First project will be nearly 2K units in Rancho Mirage
- The Walt Disney Co. is getting back into developing housing communitites, giving fans a chance to "be part of Disney all of the time," an executive said Wednesday. The first project, Cotino, will be in Rancho Mirage, California, and include about 1,900 housing units,
ABC, ESPN, Other Disney
Channels Back on YouTube TV
Dec 20, 2021 1:40 AM CST
ABC, ESPN, Other Disney Channels Back on YouTube TV
The 2 companies have reached a deal
Disney content is back on YouTube TV after the video streaming company reached a deal with Disney on Sunday to restore access to its channels,
reports. The price of Disney content now reverts to $64.99 a month, but impacted members will get a single $15 discount....
Report: Emilio Estevez,
Part Ways Over Vax
Nov 6, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Report: Emilio Estevez,
Part Ways Over Vax
Actor reportedly won't be back for Disney+ show after not complying with vaccine mandate
- If you're eagerly awaiting the next season of
The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers
, recently renewed for a second installation on Disney+, be aware there's apparently one big casting cut. Yahoo Entertainment reports that Emilio Estevez won't be reprising his role as coach Gordon Bombay, which he also...
Change Vaccination Rules
Jul 30, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Disney, Walmart Change Vaccination Rules
Companies want to see more masks worn, as well
- Walmart is requiring all workers at its headquarters, as well as its managers who travel within the US, to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by Oct. 4. The retailer also is reversing its mask policy for its employees in stores, clubs, distribution facilities, and warehouses, the AP reports. Going forward, they...
Pays Off for
Jul 11, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Disney Strategy Pays Off for
Marvel film does especially well in theaters, at $80M
- Even with an option to watch
at home, audiences went to the movie theater in pandemic record numbers this weekend to catch the first Marvel movie released in two years. The Walt Disney Co. said Sunday the superhero pic generated an estimated $80 million in ticket sales in...
Even at $75, There's Value in
a Rideless California Adventure
Feb 28, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Even at $75, There's Value in a Rideless California Adventure
What remains at Disney park works after a year of lockdown
- It might seem an easy offer to resist spending your entertainment dollars on: California Adventure in Anaheim will reopen next month, charging $75 for visitors to be able to do not much more than walk around and buy food. The rides and shows will still be closed. Mary McNamara was...
Disneyland to Redo
on Jungle Cruise
Jan 26, 2021 2:00 AM CST
Disneyland to Redo Offensive Scenes on Jungle Cruise
Theme park says it will remove 'negative depictions of native people'
- The Jungle Cruise, a Disneyland staple since 1955, has regularly undergone tweaks. It's now in for a broader rethinking, the Walt Disney Co. announced Monday. The goals are to make the ride more inclusive and racially sensitive, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. That will be achieved partly by eliminating...
After Disney Arrest,
Grandma Wants $18M
in case you missed it
Aug 9, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
After Disney Arrest, Grandma Wants $18M
Hester Burkhalter says 15-hour ordeal over the CBD oil in her purse was 'humiliating'
- Mickey Mouse had grandma arrested, and now she wants payback. Hester Burkhalter of Hickory, NC, is seeking $6 million in compensatory damages and $12 million in punitive damages, plus several million more for her family, following her April 2019 arrest at Disney World, per CNN . The Orange County Sheriff's...
Disney Annoys Fans
With #MayThe4th Tweet
Apr 28, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Disney Annoys Fans With #MayThe4th Tweet
Company claimed people using the hashtag were agreeing to its terms
- Disney has owned the
franchise since 2012, and fans are now accusing it of trying to take ownership of Star Wars Day as well. The company faced a backlash after a Monday tweet in which it asked fans to share their favorite Star Wars memory using the #MayThe4th...
Disney Heir Rips Into Move
to Protect Dividends, Bonuses
Apr 22, 2020 9:03 AM CDT
Disney Heir Rips Into Move to Protect Dividends, Bonuses
As 100K employees are furloughed
- Walt Disney heir Abigail Disney isn't one known for holding her tongue . But that's exactly what she says she's been doing—until Tuesday. The granddaughter of the company's co-founder Roy Disney took to Twitter to explain she had been staying quiet "on the theory that...
for Disney Workers
Apr 20, 2020 6:50 AM CDT
'Sacrifices' Begin for Disney Workers
More than 100K employees furloughed during coronavirus crisis
- Nearly half of Disney's workers have seen their last paycheck for a while, as more than 100,000 employees begin their furlough this week amid the coronavirus pandemic. By holding back these wages, the company will be able to save up to $500 million a month, the
Apr 13, 2020 12:00 AM CDT
Disney World Furloughing a Massive Number of Workers
Orlando amusement park comes to an agreement with 43K employees
- Walt Disney World plans to stop paying wages to 43,000 workers in about a week while allowing them to keep their benefits for up to a year in what is the largest wave of furloughs since the theme park resort closed in mid-March because of the new coronavirus spread....
Mar 12, 2020 9:33 PM CDT
Disney Plans Rare Closures
All Disney and Universal theme parks will close
- For just the fourth time ever, Disneyland is closing its gates. The California theme park will close Saturday morning and will be shut down for the rest of the month because of the coronavirus outbreak. Disneyland's resort hotels in Anaheim will stay open until Monday to give visitors time...
Disney CEO Bob Iger
Abruptly Steps Down
Feb 25, 2020 4:15 PM CST
Disney CEO Bob Iger Abruptly Steps Down
Bob Chapek will replace him
- Disney CEO Bob Iger, who steered the company through successful purchases of Star Wars, Marvel, and Fox's entertainment businesses and the launch of a Netflix challenger, is stepping down immediately, the company said in a surprise announcement Tuesday. The Walt Disney Co. named as his replacement Bob Chapek, most...
Disney Drops Iconic Name
Jan 17, 2020 4:30 PM CST
Disney Drops Iconic Name
New owner deletes 'Fox' from its logos and studios
- The 20th Century Fox nameplate has been a Hollywood brand since the studio was created by a merger in 1935. No more. The Walt Disney Company is dropping "Fox" from the properties it added last year,
reports. That includes Fox Searchlight Pictures, which already is becoming Searchlight Pictures....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Boy Paralyzed in Parade Shooting Is 'Hopeless'
Liz Cheney Loses Her Primary
Autopsy Reveals 'Lengthy, Painful' Alabama Execution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.