Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Uses Unusual Method
to Fend Off Crocodile Attack
Nov 11, 2023 10:44 AM CST
Man Uses Unusual Method to Fend Off Crocodile Attack
Australian farmer survives mauling after biting his predator on the eyelid
- "Hey, whatever works" is an Australian cattle farmer's apparent M.O. when it comes to fighting off crocodile attacks. ABC Australia reports that Colin Deveraux, in his mid-60s, was set to be released from the Northern Territory's Royal Darwin Hospital this week after spending almost a month...
The Rain Came Down Hard.
Then Came the Crocodiles
Sep 12, 2023 12:24 PM CDT
The Rain Came Down Hard. Then Came the Crocodiles
Chinese town of Maoming overrun with floods, dozens of escaped reptiles during heavy storms
- Heavy rain that started over the weekend in the Guangxi region of China has triggered landslides that are so far responsible for at least seven deaths. In Maoming, however, located in the nation's southeast Guangdong province, residents have an entirely different problem brought about by the rain: dozens of...
Crocodiles Perk Up When
They Hear a Human Baby Cry
Aug 14, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Crocodiles Perk Up When They Hear a Human Baby Cry
It could mean lunch is near, but the responses also were sometimes protective
- Scientists have discovered that crocodiles become
interested when they hear a human baby wailing. The grim reality is that in most cases, the crocs quickly investigate the source of the cries because they think a meal is at hand, reports the
New York Times
. That is, the cries are...
Virgin Birth Is a First
for This Species
Jun 7, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
Virgin Birth Is a First for This Species
Parthenogenesis found in crocodile suggests that dinosaurs may have been capable as well
- A crocodile has for the first time been found capable of a virgin birth—a finding that suggests the species' dinosaur cousins were capable of the same feat. An 18-year-old female crocodile who'd been isolated from other crocodiles since the age of 2 laid 14 eggs at a Costa...
'Simply in Wrong
Place, at Wrong Time'
May 30, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
Snorkeler Was 'Simply in Wrong Place, at Wrong Time'
Marcus McGowan managed to pry crocodile's jaws off his head in waters off north coast of Australia
- A snorkeling adventure at a swanky Queensland resort led to a most terrifying crocodile encounter for one Australian man. The BBC and
report that 51-year-old Marcus McGowan was in the water with his wife and friends on Saturday near the Sir Charles Hardy Islands, about 17 miles from the...
They Killed the Crocodile,
Found Body Parts Inside
May 3, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
They Killed the Crocodile, Found Body Parts Inside
Kevin Darmody vanished while fishing on Saturday
- A man fishing with Kevin Darmody in northern Queensland, Australia, on Saturday didn't see what happened to his friend, but he heard a yell. "I raced down… but there was no sign of him, just his [flip-flops] on the bank," John Peiti said of the 65-year-old. Police...
911 Call Was for Unresponsive
Man. Cops Found a Lot More
Mar 25, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
911 Call Was for Unresponsive Man. Cops Found a Lot More
Police find dead body, but also 200 snakes, a crocodile, and a toddler in Pennsylvania home
- Police in Pennsylvania's Beaver County made quite a find this week while responding to a call about an unconscious man. The
Beaver County Times
reports that when officers arrived at the rental residence in Aliquippa, they didn't find an unconscious man, but a dead one—a 23-year-old whose...
Fed on Murdered Botanists
Oct 4, 2022 3:25 PM CDT
Prosecutors: Crocodiles Fed on Murdered Botanists
Rod and Rachel Saunders were killed in 2018
- Well-respected British botanists who were searching for rare Gladioli flower seeds in South Africa met a gruesome fate, having been killed and dumped in crocodile-infested waters, a South African court heard on Tuesday. Rod and Rachel Saunders, ages 74 and 63, respectively, filmed a segment for BBC Gardeners' World in...
This Crocodile Got Its
Brave but Good Samaritan
Feb 8, 2022 4:22 PM CST
This Crocodile Got Its Brave but Good Samaritan
Reptile stuck in tire since 2016 is freed
A crocodile that has been cursed with a tire around its neck since 2016 is finally free, thanks to a 34-year-old Indonesian man named Tili. He used chicken bait and nylon ropes to wrangle the animal on Monday with the help of dozens of locals who helped cut the...
His Odds of Surviving Were
'About Zero,' Yet He Did
Nov 11, 2021 12:47 PM CST
His Odds of Surviving Were 'About Zero,' Yet He Did
Aussie man fends off crocodile with a pocketknife
- An Australian senior's day of fishing last week was marred by a crocodile attack, and authorities say it's amazing he's alive. AFP reports the 60-year-old Queensland man headed to a river on his property in the far reaches of the Cape York Peninsula and found a bull...
Woman Fights Off Crocodile
That Attacked Twin Sister
Jun 8, 2021 1:57 PM CDT
Woman Fights Off Crocodile That Attacked Twin Sister
'Super-badass' British woman punched it repeatedly
- A British woman's twin sister saved her from becoming a crocodile's dinner in Mexico Sunday. Relatives say 28-year-old twins Georgia and Melissa Laurie were swimming at night in bioluminescent waters in a lagoon in Oaxaca when the crocodile attacked Melissa, the
reports. Georgia heard her sister cry...
Mar 6, 2021 1:30 PM CST
Crocodiles Flee Breeding Facility
Officials are not sure how many are on the loose
- Police and conservation officers were searching Friday for an unknown number of young crocodiles that escaped earlier in the week from a large breeding farm in South Africa, the AP reports. The crocodiles are suspected to have entered the nearby Breede River after escaping Wednesday morning near the town of...
on His Head. He
Jan 28, 2021 11:30 AM CST
The Crocodile Clamped Down on His Head. He Fought Back
Man managed to pry creature's jaws off his noggin during a swim in Cairns, Australia
- A swim last week in a local lake known for its lurking crocodiles could have ended badly for an Aussie man. Instead, he's now recovering from just minor injuries after one of the reptiles attacked him and he was able to fight it off. First responders tell the
He Defied Lockdown to Go
Fishing. A Croc Got Him
Mar 25, 2020 9:45 AM CDT
He Defied Lockdown to Go Fishing. A Croc Got Him
Man didn't heed 2-week shutdown in Rwanda
- Here's an incentive to stay home: A Rwandan man who breached a nationwide lockdown to go fishing was subsequently killed by a crocodile. The man was fishing in the Nyabarongo River Wednesday morning when the crocodile attacked, Alice Kayitesi, mayor of the southern Kamonyi district, tells the BBC . Kayitesi...
Castro's Crocodile Bites Arm
'on the Wrong Side of the Glass'
Aug 21, 2019 3:50 PM CDT
Castro's Crocodile Bites Arm 'on the Wrong Side of the Glass'
Victim was giving a speech at a Stockholm aquarium
- One of Fidel Castro's crocodiles bit a man who, police said, "had his arm on the wrong side of the security glass" at a Stockholm aquarium. The victim, who is in his 70s, had climbed up to make a speech next to the crocodile enclosure during a private...
Surgical Plate in Croc's
Stomach Is 'a Mystery'
Jul 31, 2019 12:41 PM CDT
Surgical Plate in Croc's Stomach Is 'a Mystery'
Australian croc farm owner hopes to 'solve a cold case'
- What was a crocodile doing with a metal plate in its stomach? "It's a mystery" that, if unraveled, might just solve a cold case, according to crocodile keepers in Australia. "Imagine our surprise when we opened up the gut on this large croc and found what looks...
Surprise Find About
Jun 28, 2019 9:01 AM CDT
Surprise Find About Crocodile Teeth
They reveal that some extinct ones were vegetarian
- A vegetarian crocodile? It seems odd, but a new study suggests some ancient crocs subsisted on plants instead of meat at least three different times over the eons, reports New Scientist . The revelation comes in a study out of the University of Utah as detailed in Current Biology . Researchers studied...
Australia Has 3 Excellent
Reasons to Avoid Floodwaters
Feb 4, 2019 1:23 PM CST
Australia Has 3 Excellent Reasons to Avoid Floodwaters
Crocodiles, snakes, and 'your neighbor's feces'
- The city of Townsville, Australia, is currently enduring a flood of epic proportions, and more rain is in the forecast, reports the Australian Broadcasting Corporation . More than 20,000 homes are at risk, reports the BBC , and authorities were scrambling to get people to higher ground with boats and helicopters....
In 'Horrible Incident,'
Woman Falls Into Croc Pit
Jan 17, 2019 10:15 AM CST
In 'Horrible Incident,' Woman Falls Into Croc Pit
Woman killed at Indonesian pearl farm where reptile was illegally kept
- "Merry" doesn't really seem like an appropriate name for a giant pet crocodile, and markedly less so after it mauled a woman to death. Deasy Tuwo—who ran a lab at a pearl farm in Minahasa, on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, where the crocodile was illegally kept—...
Crocs-Wearing Guy Jumps Into
Croc Pond at Gator Farm
Nov 7, 2018 12:24 PM CST
Crocs-Wearing Guy Jumps Into Croc Pond at Gator Farm
Yes, this story happened in Florida
- Try saying this five times fast: A guy wearing Crocs jumped into the crocodile pond at an alligator farm. Namely, St. Augustine's Alligator Farm Zoological Park in, yes, Florida. A 23-year-old man was arrested after allegedly breaking into the park Monday night and deciding to take a swim in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.