Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Coronavirus May Have Spread
in Washington State for Weeks
Mar 2, 2020 6:43 AM CST
Coronavirus May Have Spread in Washington State for Weeks
2nd Washington state man dies of COVID-19
- A second person in Washington state has died from COVID-19—and authorities fear there will be many more coronavirus cases in the region. Authorities say the man in his 70s died at the Evergreen Health Medical Center in the Seattle suburb of Kirkland on Sunday, the
Mar 1, 2020 2:01 PM CST
Coronavirus Jumps to the East Coast
Italy sees a 50% spike in cases
- Vice President Mike Pence sought Sunday to reassure the American public that the federal government is working to make sure state and local authorities are able to test for coronavirus, as the number of US cases grew following reports of new infections in Illinois, Rhode Island, and Washington state, the...
White House Issues
New Virus Travel Warnings
Feb 29, 2020 3:40 PM CST
White House Issues New Virus Travel Warnings
Trump defends use of word 'hoax' when describing Democrats' reactions
- The Trump administration has news for Americans: Watch where you go,
reports. With the coronavirus spreading, President Trump gave a press conference Saturday flanked by relevant officials—including Vice President Mike Pence, who said the US travel warning is now at level 4 (the highest) for travel to...
US Has First
Feb 29, 2020 12:30 PM CST
US Has First Coronavirus Death
Around 83K are said to have the illness worldwide
- A man has died in Washington state of COVID-19, state health officials said Saturday, marking the first such reported death in the US. State officials issued a terse news release announcing the death, gave no details, and scheduled a news conference, the AP reports. A spokesperson for EvergreenHealth Medical Center,...
Nation Over Coronavirus
Feb 26, 2020 6:29 PM CST
Trump Addresses Nation Over Coronavirus
He chooses Mike Pence to lead US response
- President Trump held a presser about the coronavirus Wednesday as the US announced its first case of unknown origin—meaning the person had apparently not traveled abroad or come on contact with a confirmed case, the
reports. As for Trump, he's putting Mike Pence on the case....
First Baby Born
Feb 5, 2020 5:45 PM CST
First Baby Born With Coronavirus
And a guy turned a flight around by joking about the virus
- A baby in China was born with coronavirus—the first case so far of suspected mother-to-child transmission, the New York
reports. State media says the newborn's mother tested positive for the pneumonia-like virus before having the baby in Wuhan, which is ground zero for the outbreak. Chinese...
Now It's a Problem
Jan 29, 2020 8:00 PM CST
Health Officials: Now It's a Problem
World health officials say 'considerable efforts' may be needed to control the coronavirus
- World health officials expressed "great concern" Wednesday that a dangerous new virus is starting to spread between people outside of China, a troubling development as China and the world frantically work to contain the outbreak. For a second day, the number of infections grew dramatically, the AP reports. The...
We Might Have a New
Public Health Emergency
on Our Hands
Jan 22, 2020 2:13 PM CST
We Might Have a New Public Health Emergency on Our Hands
New type of coronavirus has killed 17 in China, and WHO is meeting to discuss classification
- The World Health Organization held an emergency meeting Wednesday to discuss whether to declare a "public health emergency of international concern" in response to cases of a new type of coronavirus , which has reportedly killed 17 people and sickened more than 500 others in China, per NPR and CNN...
Cases of New
China Virus Surge
Jan 20, 2020 7:13 AM CST
Cases of New China Virus Surge
Cases detected in several Chinese provinces
- Hundreds of millions of people in China are preparing to travel for Lunar New Year—and authorities are worried that an emerging virus could hitch a ride with them. Authorities in China have reported 139 new cases of the coronavirus, with a case reported in Beijing for the first time,...
Travelers at 3 US Airports
to Be Screened for New Virus
Jan 17, 2020 2:50 PM CST
Travelers at 3 US Airports to Be Screened for New Virus
CDC worried about visitors from China at JFK, LAX, and San Francisco
- Passengers arriving at three US airports from a city in China will be screened for a new type of coronavirus starting Friday. The CDC is dispatching about 100 people to help staff the quarantine stations at New York's JFK and the Los Angeles and San Francisco international airports, the...
New Virus Blamed for
Mysterious China Outbreak
Jan 9, 2020 4:02 AM CST
New Virus Blamed for Mysterious China Outbreak
Chinese researchers say new coronavirus found in Wuhan patients
- Health officials say SARS isn't the cause of a mystery illness that has sickened dozens of people in the Chinese city of Wuhan—but it may be a related virus. The World Health Organization says the viral pneumonia may be the result of a newly emerging coronavirus, a family...
In This State, a 4th Death
From Mosquito-Borne Virus
Sep 25, 2019 6:30 PM CDT
In This State, a 4th Death From Mosquito-Borne Virus
It's called Eastern equine encephalitis
- A rare mosquito-borne virus that's hitting unusually hard this year has claimed a tenth life, CNN reports. Massachusetts health officials reported the state's fourth death from Eastern equine encephalitis on Wednesday. The latest fatality also triggered new "high risk" warnings in Massachusetts communities—Spencer, Southbridge, Leicester, Dudley,...
In This State, 2nd Death From
a Mosquito-Borne Killer
Sep 21, 2019 8:15 AM CDT
In This State, 2nd Death From a Mosquito-Borne Killer
Elderly man dies in Massachusetts from Eastern equine encephalitis
- A second person has died in Massachusetts from a rare mosquito-carried virus. CNN reports the patient, said by the state's Department of Health to be a man from Bristol County in his 70s, was the commonwealth's 10th confirmed human case of Eastern equine encephalitis, caused by a virus...
Amid Ebola Crisis,
a Border Closure
Aug 1, 2019 8:08 AM CDT
Amid Ebola Crisis, a Border Closure
Access to and from Rwanda near Congolese city of Goma is now restricted
- Last month, the deadly Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which has killed more than 1,800 over the past year, was declared an international health emergency , spurring fears that neighboring nations would seal their borders. Now Rwanda has done just that, at least partly. Access between the...
Mar 19, 2019 2:03 AM CDT
Astronauts' Newest Health Concern: Herpes
Study finds dormant viruses can reactivate in individuals who've endured stresses of space travel
- Astronauts who "boldly go where no man has gone before," as William Shatner's Captain Kirk once put it , likely anticipate their body will undergo certain changes while in space. But how many have guessed they might see a herpes flare-up? New research from NASA shows that the...
That's a Lot of
Pork: Feds Make
Mar 18, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
That's a Lot of Pork: Feds Make Largest Agricultural Seizure Ever
1M pounds of pork seized at New Jersey port
- Federal authorities say 1 million pounds of pork products allegedly smuggled from China have been seized at a New Jersey port, the AP reports. Troy Miller, field operations director for the Customs and Border Protection in New York and New Jersey, says it's the largest agricultural seizure ever made...
He'd Find Bats on His Bed and
Handle Them. Now He's Dead
Nov 9, 2018 1:22 PM CST
He'd Find Bats on His Bed and Handle Them. Now He's Dead
Gary Giles first person to die from rabies in Utah since 1944
- Gary Giles and his wife, Juanita, would often use their hands to catch the bats that would end up flying around inside their home in Moroni, Utah, and they never had any issues. "The bats would lick our fingers, almost like they could taste the saltiness of our fingers,...
For the First Time in 2 Decades,
a New Flu Drug Hits US
Oct 25, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
For the First Time in 2 Decades, a New Flu Drug Hits US
US health regulators approve Xofluza
- US health regulators have approved the first new type of flu drug in two decades. Wednesday's approval of Xofluza for people ages 12 and older comes ahead of the brunt of this winter's flu season. Xofluza is a pill that can reduce severity and shorten duration of flu...
6 Children Dead in Viral
Outbreak at NJ Health Facility
Oct 23, 2018 6:49 PM CDT
6 Children Dead in Viral Outbreak at NJ Health Facility
12 others sickened in adenovirus outbreak
- A severe viral outbreak at a New Jersey rehabilitation center for "medically fragile children" has left six youngsters dead and 12 others sick, the state Health Department said Tuesday. There have been 18 cases of adenovirus at the Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation in Haskell, about 30 miles...
Dozens Dead in
EU in 'Astounding'
Aug 21, 2018 8:17 AM CDT
Dozens Dead in EU in 'Astounding' Measles Outbreak
There's been an uptick in US, too
- Some not-great news out of the World Health Organization regarding one of the most contagious viruses around. Per the BBC , a record number of measles patients has been recorded in the European Union, with last year's nearly 24,000 cases being surpassed by this year's 41,000 figure....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.