Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Activists Slam 'Shameful'
Killing of Escaped Bull
Aug 10, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Activists Slam 'Shameful' Killing of Escaped Bull
Campanito the bull gored 2 elderly men in Brihuega, Spain, before a local slammed their car into him
- Animal rights advocates are steaming after a 500-pound-plus bull escaped from a bullfighting ring in Spain over the weekend and met a terrible fate. The
reports that spectators had gathered early Sunday in Brihuega to attend a "concurso de recortadores" event, in which those taking part taunt the...
Crowd Applauded as Matador
Wiped Bull's Eyes, Then Killed It
May 13, 2019 7:45 PM CDT
Crowd Applauded as Matador Wiped Bull's Eyes, Then Killed It
Viral video sparks outrage, defense of bullfighter
- There was applause from the crowd in Spain when a bullfighter wiped a bull's eyes before killing it on Friday. But reaction online was different and plentiful once videos of the encounter in Seville went viral. "Morante de la Puebla took a handkerchief out of his pocket to...
Bull Kills Itself
After Fiery Torches
Put on Horns
Jul 27, 2017 7:44 AM CDT
Bull Kills Itself After Fiery Torches Put on Horns
It ran head-on into a post at a Spanish festival
- A horrifying scene out of a bull festival in Spain has reignited a firestorm—this one a literal one—around the subject of how bull are used as entertainment. The Independent reports on a bull that was tied to a post in front of a "baying" crowd during the...
Over Cloak, Fatally
Jun 18, 2017 7:00 AM CDT
Bullfighter Trips Over Cloak, Fatally
Ivan Fandino gored in the ring in France, 2nd fatality in past year
- In a profession with little room for error, Ivan Fandino made one that cost him his life on Saturday: The 36-year-old Spanish bullfighter tripped on his cape while in the ring in France, sending him to the ground, where a bull gored him in the chest, reports Sky News . Fandino'...
Bullfight Ends in
Apr 4, 2017 9:55 AM CDT
Matador's Debut Bullfight Ends in Throat Goring
Daniel Garcia Navarrete tossed around 'like a rag doll' in Madrid's Las Ventas ring
- A 23-year-old matador was severely injured after a nasty turn with a bull in one of Spain's most famous bullfighting venues. More than 10,000 people in Madrid's Las Ventas bullring watched in horror Sunday as a bull started tossing Daniel Garcia Navarrete around "like a rag...
Oct 17, 2016 3:34 AM CDT
One-Eyed Matador Gored Again
Luckily for Juan Jose Padilla, it was at or near the same eye as last time
- Five years almost to the day after he was gored in the eye by a bull, Spanish matador Juan Jose Padilla was gored in virtually the same spot again—but he won't need to buy a second eye patch. At a bullfight in Zaragoza Saturday, the 43-year-old was gored...
to Death on Live TV
Jul 10, 2016 6:03 AM CDT
Bullfighter Gored to Death on Live TV
Victor Barrio is first to die in ring in more than 3 decades
- A Spanish bullfighter was gored to death Saturday on live television in a horror not seen in the ring in more than three decades, reports the AP . Victor Barrio, 29, was pronounced dead late Saturday by a surgeon at the Teruel bullring. Barrio was first gored in the thigh by...
Pic of Baby
Ring Has Spain
Jan 27, 2016 12:16 PM CST
Pic of Baby in Bullfighting Ring Has Spain Seeing Red
Matador posts controversial photo
- Even if Spain celebrates "Take Your Child to Work Day" like we do, people are shocked over a matador's decision to bring his infant daughter into the bullfighting ring. Francisco Rivera Ordonez, called the "David Beckham of bullfighting" in the
Sydney Morning Herald
, is catching heat for...
Bullfighter Gored Again,
This Time in the Jugular
May 15, 2015 11:40 AM CDT
Bullfighter Gored Again, This Time in the Jugular
Wound to neck damaged artery, says doctor
- One stick in the thigh with a bull horn wasn't enough to stop Spanish bullfighter Torero Jiménez Fortes. One of three matadors gored at an event last year, Fortes, 25, is in serious condition after he was again gored at the Feria de San Isidro bullfighting festival—this...
Feb 15, 2015 1:00 PM CST
American Gored Horrifically in Bullfighting Festival
Surgeon: 'Biggest goring wound I've ever had to operate on'
- Running bulls and thousands of inebriated tourists: Once again, not a particularly wise combination, and the latest victim is a 20-year-old man from Georgia who has what his Spanish surgeon calls "the biggest goring wound I've ever had to operate on." Benjamin Miller underwent three hours of...
Series of Gorings
May 22, 2014 4:03 AM CDT
Bullfight Ends After Unusual Series of Gorings
Bulls score rare victory at Madrid event, goring all 3 matadors
- A prestigious bullfighting event in Spain ended in a very unusual way—with a knockout victory for the bulls. The first bull of the evening at Madrid's Las Ventas stadium badly gored bullfighter David Mora in the leg, tossed him in the air, and pummeled him into the ground,...
In Andean Bullrings,
Bulls Fight ... Condors
Aug 11, 2013 4:50 PM CDT
In Andean Bullrings, Bulls Fight ... Condors
Annual tradition pits heaven against earth
- If you thought humans against bulls was an alarming tradition, check out how they do it in Peru:
against bulls. The cross-species fight is part of an annual Andean festival known as the Yawar Fiesta, or Blood Festival, in which wild condors are tied to the bulls' backs, then...
23 Hurt in Bloody
Jul 13, 2013 8:02 AM CDT
23 Hurt in Bloody Pamplona Pileup
But no fatalities as human-bull melee happens outside bull ring
- This morning marked the penultimate running of the bulls in Spain's storied San Fermin Festival, and it turned bloody quickly, with 23 revelers in Pamplona injured in a pileup of bulls and humans outside the bull ring. As the AP reports, dozens of falling runners clogged the ring's...
Today in Barcelona
Sep 25, 2011 6:46 AM CDT
Bullfighting Ends Today in Barcelona
Catalonia ban comes after years of decline for blood-filled tradition
- Today's bullfights at the 97-year-old Plaza de Toros Monumental arena in Barcelona will be the last ever for the venerable—and brutal—sport in Catalonia province, reports the BBC . The province voted to end bullfighting last year, the first ban on the
corrida de toros
in mainland Spain (it'...
French Bullfighter Gored
Feb 14, 2011 3:57 PM CST
French Bullfighter Gored
Sebastian Castella ends up on wrong side of bull again
- There are bad days at the office, and then there is getting tossed around like a ragdoll by one ton of bloody, raging male cow. French bullfighting phenom Sebastian Castella had both over the weekend, reports the Huffington Post, breaking his collarbone after ending up on the wrong side of...
Aug 19, 2010 10:00 AM CDT
Bull Charges the Stands, Injures 40
Rampage in same region of Spain that hosts Running of the Bulls
- A bull leapt into the stands at a bull ring in Spain yesterday, tearing through the crowd and injuring 40 people. He was eventually subdued and killed with the help of an ex-bull fighter who happened to be in the stands, the
New York Times
reports. While most of the...
Catalonia Bans Bullfights
(Hemingway Saw It Coming)
Jul 28, 2010 11:40 AM CDT
Catalonia Bans Bullfights (Hemingway Saw It Coming)
Region is first in mainland Spain to abolish the sport
- Score one for the bulls. Catalonia became the first region in mainland Spain to ban bullfighting today, reports the BBC . Animal rights activists who see the sport as barbaric succeeded in getting the ban passed, much to the dismay of those who see it as an integral part of the...
Jul 28, 2010 2:00 AM CDT
Barcelona May Ban Bullfighting
Catalonia vote pits tradition vs animal rights
- Catalonia will vote today on whether to become the first mainland Spanish region to say adios to bullfighting. The spectacle has long been in decline in the region, and the capital, Barcelona, now only holds a dozen or so bullfights a year, with foreign tourists making up much of the...
for Fleeing Bull
'i didn't have the balls'
Jun 15, 2010 11:25 AM CDT
Matador Arrested for Fleeing Bull
He ran from the ring...twice
- It looks like a scene out of a comedy flick, but it’s real: A terrified matador throws himself over the perimeter wall in an attempt to escape a charging bull, then is coaxed back into the ring…only to flee again. It gets better: Christian Hernandez, 22, was actually...
Jun 7, 2010 11:01 AM CDT
12-Year-Old Is Mexico's Youngest Bullfighter
Michel Lagravere slays one, gets bested by the 2nd
- Forget skateboards and video games—this 12-year-old boy fights bulls. Michel "Michelito" Lagravere officially became the youngest person to perform in Mexico City's main ring yesterday. And perform he did: The young French-Mexican "novillero" successfully killed his first bull, which weighed in at 893 pounds. But a second...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Tomato Mysteriously Lost in Space Turns Up 8 Months Later
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
Evert Reveals 'Diagnosis I Never Wanted to Hear'
A Spritz of Water May Improve Your Coffee
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.