Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
DMV Revoked Her Vanity
Plate. She's Fighting Back
in case you missed it
Aug 7, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
DMV Revoked Her Vanity Plate. She's Fighting Back
Federal judge rules that Kari Lynn Overington's suit on 'FCANCER' plate may proceed
- Kari Lynn Overington was in a celebratory mood when she hit the milestone of being cancer-free for two years, so she treated herself to a new car and a vanity plate that said "FCANCER," a defiant message to the breast cancer she'd beat. The DMV issued the...
Cops: Man Died After
Lyft Driver Kicked
Him Out on Highway
Jul 27, 2022 12:39 PM CDT
Cops: Man Died After Lyft Driver Kicked Him Out on Highway
Former Cuomo aide Sidney Wolf was hit by another vehicle on Delaware highway
- Sidney Wolf, a former senior policy aide to former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, died on a Delaware highway early Sunday morning after a Lyft driver allegedly kicked him and five friends out of a vehicle. According to a Delaware State Police release, the group hired a Lyft to bring...
Biden OK After
Fall Off Bike
Jun 18, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Biden OK After Fall Off Bike
President took a tumble while riding Saturday in Rehoboth Beach, Del.
- President Biden fell when he tried to get off his bike at the end of a ride Saturday at Cape Henlopen State Park near his beach home in Delaware, but he said he wasn't hurt. "I'm good," he told reporters after US Secret Service Agents quickly...
Biden to Grads
at Alma Mater:
'No Time to Be
on the Sidelines'
May 28, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Biden to Grads at Alma Mater: 'No Time to Be on the Sidelines'
President gave commencement speech to Class of '22 at University of Delaware on Saturday
- President Joe Biden told graduates Saturday at his alma mater, the University of Delaware, that "now it's your hour," as he encouraged young people in the United States to help the country live up to its ideals. Speaking to more than 6,000 graduates, and with the...
Soon, Delaware Will Have
No Commercial Air Service
May 16, 2022 6:01 PM CDT
Soon, Delaware Will Have No Commercial Air Service
It's not the first time folks in the state will need to drive out of it to catch a commercial flight
- Frontier Airlines confirmed to Business Insider that it will operate its last flight at New Castle Airport on June 6. With that, Delaware will be the only state with no commercial airline service. Per WHYY, it's a "dubious distinction" with which Delawareans are already familiar: Frontier was the...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
2 Democratic Governors
Drop School Mask Mandates
Feb 7, 2022 11:51 AM CST
2 Democratic Governors Drop School Mask Mandates
New Jersey and Delaware are the latest
- New Jersey is dropping its requirement that students and staffers wear masks at schools, reports NJ.com . The news was seen as significant because Gov. Phil Murphy is a Democrat "who has imposed some of the nation’s most stringent pandemic-related mandates," per the
New York Times
This Is the Best
State for Retirees
Jan 24, 2022 1:41 PM CST
This Is the Best State for Retirees
Surprise! Florida comes in at No. 1 in WalletHub rankings
- Figuring out what to do once you retire can be a challenge, including where you put down roots to ride out your golden years. WalletHub looked at nearly four dozen metrics across all 50 states, in three main categories: affordability, which looks at everything from the cost of living and...
Cops: Bank Robber Made
Deposit in ATM Outside
Dec 16, 2021 3:45 PM CST
Cops: Bank Robber Made Deposit in ATM Outside
He was a Wells Fargo robber, and also a customer
- Police in Delaware say a man who robbed a Wilmington bank on Saturday didn't keep the cash for long—after fleeing the Wells Fargo branch, he paused to make a deposit in the ATM outside. Police say McRoberts Williams, a 44-year-old California resident, handed a note to a teller...
New Bus Driver:
Mom and Dad
Aug 18, 2021 8:08 AM CDT
Introducing Your New Bus Driver: Mom and Dad
Meanwhile, one school district will force many kids to walk
- Schools in many states are having a hard time finding school bus drivers—to the extent that one school is offering to pay parents who drive their kids. The EastSide Charter School in Wilmington, Del., is offering $700 per year for each child that is dropped off and picked up....
Video Call Busted
by His Seat Belt
in case you missed it
May 9, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Lawmaker on Video Call Busted by His Seat Belt
State Sen. Andrew Brennerd drives while Zooming, on day Ohio unveils distracted-driving bill
- On Monday, House Bill 283 was introduced in Ohio in a bid to tamp down on distracted driving by banning texting, taking photos, livestreaming, or otherwise using an electronic device while behind the wheel. That same day, a state senator was busted doing just that during a virtual meeting of...
10 Best States
Jan 25, 2021 1:00 PM CST
10 Best States for Retirement
Florida ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list
- If your golden years are approaching, or if early retirement is in the cards, where to decide to enjoy your post-work life can prove to be a challenge. WalletHub has tried to take some of the guesswork out of the process, examining nearly four dozen metrics in all 50 states,...
Sexual Abuse Claims
Pour In Against Boy Scouts
Nov 16, 2020 4:37 PM CST
Sexual Abuse Claims Pour In Against Boy Scouts
Court receives more than 82K filings before deadline
- A bankruptcy court in Delaware handling the Boy Scouts of America case set a deadline of Monday for people who say they were sexually abused to file claims. By late Sunday, 82,663 had, from every state as well as military bases in Germany and Japan, the
New York Times
Just Short of a Win, Biden
Addresses the Nation
Nov 7, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Just Short of a Win, Biden Addresses the Nation
As vote counting continues, former VP calls for unity, says he and Harris have already started working
- Joe Biden had hoped that when he addressed the nation Friday night, the call already would've been made declaring him the president-elect. That wasn't to be, as the count continued in a handful of key states, but the former VP, flanked by running mate Sen. Kamala Harris, still...
2 Big Notes From the
Sep 16, 2020 1:05 AM CDT
2 Big Notes From the 'Last-in-the-Nation' Primary
Delaware voted Tuesday
- Delaware held its "last-in-the-nation" primary Tuesday, Vox reports. A few results to note, per the AP :
Transgender activist Sarah McBride won a Democratic state Senate primary and is poised to make history as the first transgender person elected to the state's General Assembly. McBride, who interned at the
Senator's Video Appearance
at Hearing Does Not Go Well
Aug 21, 2020 10:48 AM CDT
Senator's Video Appearance at Hearing Does Not Go Well
Delaware's Tom Carper caught swearing up a blue streak at his computer after a glitch
- A senator dropped some very un-senatorial F-bombs Friday when he had a glitch with his video link. When Sen. Tom Carper's turn came up to question the postmaster general , things went south, reports the Hill . It began when the chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee...
This State Has the Best
School System in America
Jul 27, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
This State Has the Best School System in America
Massachusetts ranks No. 1 in WalletHub ranking; New Mexico comes in last
- After a school year disrupted by COVID-19, parents are more concerned than ever about their children's education. The coronavirus aside, how well public schools fare across America is often dictated by the funding they receive, which is one of the factors WalletHub took into account in its examination of...
Pizza Shop Owner Fends Off
Robber in the Perfect Way
Jul 13, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Pizza Shop Owner Fends Off Robber in the Perfect Way
He threw a pizza at the guy
- The suspect is described as a white male, with a machete, though he might have cheese, sauce, and maybe some pepperoni in his hair. Police in Delaware say the owner of a pizza shop foiled a robbery by, yes, throwing a pizza at the intruder, reports the
Delaware News Journal
Jul 2, 2020 1:44 PM CDT
Courthouse Removes Whipping Post
Black people were disproportionately punished using the post in Delaware
- An 8-foot tall whipping post was removed from a Delaware county courthouse square Wednesday after activists said it was a reminder of racial discrimination, per the AP . The state-owned post outside the Sussex County Courthouse in Georgetown was removed after an hour and a half of excavation and put in...
Jun 27, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Swimmer Seen Prying Open Shark's Mouth
'It was so crazy, like a movie. Like Jaws.'
- A swimmer in Delaware was caught on camera prying a shark's mouth open with his hands this weekend in an effort to free it from a fishing hook, the AP reports. The video shows the man grabbing onto the shark at a beach in Cape Henlopen State Park. He...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
They Were Barred From Guarding Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.