Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Elderly Couple Shot
in Cemetery; 1 Dead
May 10, 2020 3:50 PM CDT
Elderly Couple Shot in Cemetery; 1 Dead
- A married Maryland couple in their 80s were the victims in a shooting at a veterans cemetery in Delaware, the AP reports. Delaware State Police on Friday night identified the victims as an 86-year-old man and 85-year-old woman from Elkton, Maryland. The wife was pronounced dead at the scene. The...
Missing for 30-Plus Years,
$1.3M Columbus Letter Found
Jan 24, 2020 6:33 AM CST
Missing for 30-Plus Years, $1.3M Columbus Letter Found
Copy of note sent to Spain's King Ferdinand was stolen from Italy in the '80s
- In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue; in 1493, he wrote a letter about his trip across the sea to Spain's King Ferdinand, and two editions of it were printed to spread across Europe. Only about 30 copies of the first edition of the Plannck I letter still exist,...
Here Are the 10 Best,
Worst States to Retire In
Jan 13, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst States to Retire In
Enjoy your golden years
- When to retire is a big decision, but knowing
to live out your golden years can be just as important. WalletHub wants to help you tackle the latter, and so it set out on a mission to find the best states to retire in, looking at all 50 across...
Fugitive on the Run 40 Years
Busted, Done In by His Prints
Jan 3, 2020 12:53 PM CST
Fugitive on the Run 40 Years Busted, Done In by His Prints
Jose Romero escaped from SC in 1979; he was nabbed in Delaware last month
- In 1979, Pink Floyd's
was released, Margaret Thatcher was elected prime minister of the UK, and Jose Romero escaped from a South Carolina prison. Almost 40 years to the day of his jailbreak, however, the sexagenarian (he's said to be 63 or 64) was arrested in...
18-Year-Old Dies Trying to
Save Others From Car in Canal
Oct 7, 2019 4:04 AM CDT
18-Year-Old Dies Trying to Save Others From Car in Canal
3 dead, 1 missing after car plunges into Delaware canal
- A car with five occupants plunged into a Delaware canal on Sunday and the driver helped a teenage girl to safety before dying in a bid to rescue three other passengers, two of whom were found dead after the car was hoisted from the water, authorities say. Delaware State Police...
Delaware School Sorry
for Serving Up Roseanne
Sep 28, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
Delaware School Sorry for Serving Up Roseanne
Seaford High School played it before a volleyball game
- "The Star-Spangled Banner" isn't an unusual feature of high school pregame festivities, but Roseanne Barr's screeching 1990s rendition surprised spectators at one Delaware volleyball game, the AP reports. The
News Journal of Wilmington
reports the Seaford School District apologized Wednesday for the shock served at Seaford High...
Here Are the Best, Worst
States for Gender Equality
Aug 20, 2019 11:20 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States for Gender Equality
Maine is looking good for women's rights
- Despite making up more than half the US population, women are still lagging behind their male counterparts in pay and in leadership positions, and still claiming the lion's share of minimum-wage jobs. Some states are making better strides than others in closing the gender gap, per WalletHub , which looked...
FBI Captures 'Pink Lady Bandit'
Jul 29, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
FBI Captures 'Pink Lady Bandit'
The woman allegedly robbed 4 banks across the East Coast in one week
- In less than a week, a woman the FBI dubbed the "Pink Lady Bandit" robbed four East Coast banks, but on Sunday, she was caught. The FBI says the suspect carried a "distinctive pink handbag" during at least two of the robberies—hence the nickname. Her modus operandi...
They Stole a
Then Found Out
What It Was
Jun 30, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
They Stole a Porch Package, Then Found Out What It Was
Thieves apologize, return replica belt meant for sick 5-year-old with brain tumor, autism
- Thieves swiped a wrestling belt replica that belonged to a sick 5-year-old Delaware boy—but this story has a somewhat happy ending. Timothy Vick Sr. tells WBOC that little Timmy Vick was diagnosed with autism when he was just a toddler, but then, another development in October: Timmy had a...
Cops: We Found Heavily Armed
Man Outside Elementary School
Jun 15, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
Cops: We Found Heavily Armed Man Outside Elementary School
Thomas J. Wilkie of Delaware charged, may have gone to see current or ex-girlfriend at NJ school
- New Jersey police responding to a call from cops in a neighboring state say they found a 46-year-old man with a loaded firearm and dozens of rounds of ammo outside an elementary school, putting the school in lockdown. ABC News reports on the incident that took place Thursday afternoon, when...
This Is the Most Fun US State
Jun 10, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
This Is the Most Fun US State
California tops the list for 2019
- You know the safest , least stressful , healthiest , greenest , and happiest places to live, but what about the most fun? To figure that out, WalletHub looked at 26 factors related to entertainment, nightlife, and recreation—things like restaurants, amusement parks, golf courses, theaters, arcades, music festivals, casinos, and marinas per capita;...
Massive Great White
Off SC Isn't Alone
May 16, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Massive Great White Off SC Isn't Alone
Luna, Katharine among OCEARCH sharks pinging off East Coast
- Think twice before dipping your toes off the Carolinas. OCEARCH is currently tracking at least eight great white sharks in that region, including a 15-foot female that's among the two largest sharks ever tagged by the nonprofit ocean research group. Luna—named for Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, where the shark...
States With the
Jan 15, 2019 10:05 AM CST
States With the Least-Skilled Drivers
You might want to take a defensive driving course in Big Sky Country
- If you like the freedom of the open road, there are some states where you might want to take a defensive driving course first. In its assessment of the most dangerous states to drive in (New Mexico took that top "honor"), YourMechanic looked at a variety of factors,...
He Was Told to
Go to Bed. His
Jan 4, 2019 11:42 AM CST
He Was Told to Go to Bed. His Disobedience Saved Them
Damir Carter stayed up to watch Netflix and saved himself and mom from house fire
- Parents seeking a silver lining in the never-ending battle of getting their kids to get some shut-eye may want to chat with Delaware mom Angela Marie Borden. That's because her 13-year-old son wouldn't listen to her and go to sleep Tuesday night, opting instead to settle in for...
Car Crash Kills
Jul 8, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
Car Crash Kills Entire Family —Except One
Mary Rose Trinidad is currently in stable condition
- The sole survivor of a horrific Delaware car crash is Mary Rose Trinidad, whose husband and four children all died in the Friday accident,
reports. Trinidad was admitted to hospital with serious injuries and is currently in stable condition and alert. Dead on the scene were Mary's husband,...
5 Family Members
Killed in Highway Crash
Jul 7, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
5 Family Members Killed in Highway Crash
Four children and one adult were among the victims in Delaware
- Five members of a New Jersey family, including four children, were killed Friday in a crash on a Delaware highway, according to state police. Per the AP , the other adult who was in the vehicle was taken to a hospital with serious, non-life-threatening injuries, news outlets reported Friday night. State...
Traps Teen Girl in
Dec 22, 2017 2:29 PM CST
Friend's Stepfather Traps Teen Girl in 'Living Nightmare'
'When I hear a noise, I feel like I’m being stabbed in the ear'
- What 14-year-old Cindy Redmond calls her "living nightmare" started a year ago at a friend's kitchen table in Delaware. Her friend's stepfather, annoyed that he had to ask Cindy twice to get off her phone, unleashed an air horn into her ears. Nothing has been the same...
This State Has the
Highest Cancer Rate
Nov 3, 2017 11:57 AM CDT
This State Has the Highest Cancer Rate
It's Kentucky, with Delaware and Louisiana trailing
- Cancer may be the second leading cause of death in the US, but its effects across the country vary widely. Kentucky, for example, sees 514 cancer diagnoses per 100,000 people, the highest rate in the nation. New Mexico, on the other hand, has the lowest rate at 370 per...
Office Shooting Suspect Was
Fired for Punching Co-Worker
Oct 19, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
Office Shooting Suspect Was Fired for Punching Co-Worker
Radee Prince has been arrested 42 times in Delaware
- Radee Labeeb Prince had a record of workplace violence long before he allegedy opened fire at an office park in Maryland Wednesday morning, killing three co-workers at Advanced Granite Solutions and critically injuring two. Police say the 37-year-old, who was taken into custody Wednesday night , has a long criminal record...
Suspect Arrested in Shooting
That Left 3 Dead, 3 Injured
Oct 18, 2017 6:57 PM CDT
Suspect Arrested in Shooting That Left 3 Dead, 3 Injured
Radee Labeeb Prince apprehended Wednesday night in Delaware
- The suspect in the shooting of six people in Maryland and Delaware, including three who died, is in custody, the AP reports. The Harford County Sheriff's Office in Maryland tweeted Wednesday night that 37-year-old Radee Labeeb Prince was "apprehended a short time ago in Delaware by ATF and...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Pro-Russia Parties Trounced
It Was Worse Than the Titanic. You Likely Haven't Heard of It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.