Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In the Netherlands,
'a Stunning Lurch
to the Far Right'
Nov 23, 2023 7:40 AM CST
In the Netherlands, 'a Stunning Lurch to the Far Right'
Geert Wilders' Party for Freedom won big, while 'human rights lost,' per Amnesty International
- The party of anti-Islam populist Geert Wilders won a huge general election victory in the Netherlands, according to a nearly complete vote count early Thursday that showed a stunning lurch to the far right for a nation once famed as a beacon of tolerance, per the AP . With nearly all...
Cheeky Ad Helps World
Separate Sweden, Switzerland
Oct 29, 2023 6:33 AM CDT
Cheeky Ad Helps World Separate Sweden, Switzerland
No, they are not the same, as Visit Sweden so artfully explains
- President Biden made headlines when he mixed up Sweden and Switzerland last year. But he's not the only one. Apparently the countries' "vaguely similar names and flags with crosses on them" have created quite the confusion, per Politico . In the last year, 85,000 US Google searches asked,...
International Rallies Support
Cease-Fire, Fight Antisemitism
Oct 22, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
International Rallies Support Cease-Fire, Fight Antisemitism
Chancellor decries attacks on Jews 'here in Germany, of all places'
- Thousands of people joined vigils in Berlin and London on Sunday to oppose antisemitism and support Israel, while in Paris and other cities, thousands of pro-Palestinian demonstrators demanded a cease-fire and relief for people in the besieged Gaza Strip. Those gathered in front of Berlin's Brandenburg Gate carried Israeli...
Pope to Europe: There's
No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Sep 23, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Pope to Europe: There's No Migrant 'Emergency' Here
Francis implores Macron, other leaders to open their doors to people fleeing hardships
- Pope Francis challenged French President Emmanuel Macron and other European leaders to open their ports to people fleeing hardship and poverty, insisting Saturday that the continent isn't facing a migration "emergency," but rather a long-term reality that governments must deal with humanely. For a second straight day...
Quest to Join EU
May Be Ending
Sep 16, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Turkey's 24-Year Quest to Join EU May Be Ending
Erdogan suggests nation may split with European Union after accusations of 'democratic backsliding'
- President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Saturday that Turkey may part ways with the European Union, implying that the country is thinking about ending its bid to join the 27-nation bloc. "The EU is making efforts to sever ties with Turkey," he told reporters before departing for the 78th...
Tugs Tow Burning Cargo Ship
Aug 1, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
Tugs Tow Burning Cargo Ship
Salvage crews ready to board 'as soon as possible' to assess the situation in North Sea
- A cargo ship carrying thousands of cars that has been burning on the North Sea for nearly a week was towed Monday to a new location further from the Dutch coast to wait for salvage crews to decide their next steps, the government said. The Fremantle Highway arrived earlier than...
Going So Well
Jul 18, 2023 11:18 AM CDT
Those Summer Vacations in Europe Aren't Going So Well
Wildfires and heat waves are making things really uncomfortable in Spain, Greece, Switzerland, Italy
- Officials warned residents and tourists packing Mediterranean destinations on Tuesday to stay indoors during the hottest hours as the second heat wave in as many weeks hits the region and Greece, Spain, and Switzerland battled wildfires. In Italy, civil protection workers monitored crowds for people in distress from the heat...
Belarus Sentences Dissident
to 8 Years in Penal Colony
May 3, 2023 5:59 PM CDT
Belarus Sentences Dissident to 8 Years in Penal Colony
Roman Protasevich was arrested in 2021 after an airliner he was on was forced down
- A court in Minsk has sentenced an opposition activist whose flight was forced down by Belarus in 2021 so he could be taken into custody to eight years in a penal colony. State media said Wednesday that Roman Protasevich, 27, was charged with organizing mass riots, calling for sanctions against...
Watchdog in Italy
Mar 31, 2023 4:45 PM CDT
Watchdog in Italy Blocks GPT
Nation to investigate OpenAI over data protection, privacy concerns
- Italy has become the first western country to ban ChatGPT, at least temporarily, per the BBC and the AP . The country's data-protection authority said Friday that it would immediately block OpenAI's chatbot and investigate it for compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation, a piece of European Union...
Small-Town Mayor Impressed
by Illegal Rave
Jan 5, 2023 1:47 PM CST
Small-Town Mayor Impressed by Illegal Rave
'They had absolutely everything,' says Fernando Álvarez of La Peza, Spain
- The Spanish town of La Peza is usually home to about 1,200 people, so you can imagine locals' reaction when they woke up Friday to find thousands of strangers engaged in an exuberant dance party. Suddenly, "we were 5,200 people. By Saturday we were 6,000,"...
For Flyers in
Europe, No More
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 10, 2022 4:05 PM CST
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
European Union says air travelers will be able to use their phones as they wish in 2023
- The modern era of "airplane mode" on flights is coming to an end—in Europe anyway. The European Union says air passengers there will be able to use their phones however they want (such as streaming video or, yes, making phone calls) as of June 2023, reports the BBC...
Cocaine 'Super Cartel'
Is Busted in Europe
Nov 28, 2022 11:35 AM CST
Cocaine 'Super Cartel' Is Busted in Europe
Ring controlled about one-third of the trade on the continent
- Law enforcement authorities in six different countries have joined forces to take down a "super cartel" of drug traffickers who controlled about one third of the cocaine trade in Europe, Europol said on Monday. The European Union crime agency said 49 suspects have been arrested during the investigation, with...
Apple to Adopt
Oct 26, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
'No Choice': Apple to Adopt USB-C Chargers
Greg Joswiak confirms company will comply with new laws, despite its opposition
- Apple has "no choice" but to begin making iPhones with a USB-C port, rather than one to fit its Lightning cables, an official has confirmed. Greg Joswiak, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing, tells the
Wall Street Journal
that "we'll have to comply" with new...
Ukraine War Hits
James Bond's Glassmaker
Sep 10, 2022 6:55 AM CDT
Ukraine War Hits James Bond's Glassmaker
Iconic French manufacturer Duralex will temporarily close amid Europe's energy trouble
- For the glassmakers at iconic French tableware brand Duralex, the mornings have become a horror show. Daily updates from energy traders drop into their email inboxes, showing the asphyxiating upward climb of prices for the natural gas and electricity that power their energy-devouring business. Before Europe's energy crisis—which...
Leads to 'Rare Opportunity'
Aug 20, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Unprecedented Drought Leads to 'Rare Opportunity'
Scientists rush to study 'Spanish Stonehenge,' ancient rock circle emerging as water levels drop
- "Spanish Stonehenge" is back. The Dolmen of Guadalperal, a circle of 150 stones in Caceres believed to be about 7,000 years old, was purposely submerged underwater in 1963, part of Spain's efforts to build the Valdecanas reservoir. Over the years, the rocks occasionally peeked out when weather...
Europe's Drought Is Probably
Worse Than You Think
Aug 14, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Europe's Drought Is Probably Worse Than You Think
Rivers are drying up and farmers are suffering in dry spell that is the worst in centuries
- From dry and cracked reservoirs in Spain to falling water levels on major arteries like the Danube, the Rhine, and the Po, an unprecedented drought is afflicting nearly half of the European continent, the AP reports. It is damaging farm economies, forcing water restrictions, causing wildfires, and threatening aquatic species....
Jul 16, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Winds, Heat Worsen Fires in Europe
Fire season arrives early after a hot, dry spring
- Strong winds and hot, dry weather frustrated French firefighters' efforts Saturday to contain a huge wildfire that raced across pine forests in the Bordeaux region for a fifth straight day, one of several wildfires scorching Europe. Some of the worst fires have been in Portugal, where the pilot of a...
Fight Wildfires, Heat
Jun 19, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
Spain, Germany Fight Wildfires, Heat
Winds complicate the job for crews in Western Europe
- Firefighters in Spain and Germany struggled to contain wildfires on Sunday during an unusual heat wave in Western Europe for this time of year. The worst damage in Spain has been in the northwest province of Zamora, where over 61,000 acres has been consumed, regional authorities said. German officials...
Apple Won't Like New
EU Rule on Charging Cords
Jun 8, 2022 10:30 AM CDT
Apple Won't Like New EU Rule on Charging Cords
USB-C cable will be required for devices, from phones to headphones to GPS units, from 2024
- Forget rummaging through the junk drawer. Soon, Europeans will need to reach for just one cable to charge their smartphones and other devices, the AP reports. European Union officials said they inked a provisional agreement Tuesday that will require a uniform charging cord in the 27-nation bloc. The new rules,...
Big-Shot Soccer Agent's
Angry Tweet: I'm Not Dead
Apr 29, 2022 1:36 PM CDT
Big-Shot Soccer Agent's Angry Tweet: I'm Not Dead
The world thought Dutch national Mino Raiola had died; he cleared things up online
- It's true that, before this week, Mino Raiola's Twitter account hadn't posted since mid-January, when someone tweeting on his behalf wrote that he'd undergone "ordinary medical checks" that involved anesthesia. But the prolonged online absence of the renowned soccer agent didn't necessarily mean he'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Drug Gangs Threaten Peace of Famous Squatter Commune
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.