Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Here's What Happens When
You Go Vegan for a Month
Dec 6, 2023 1:10 PM CST
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
Stanford study of twins shows boost to cardiovascular health in as little as 4 weeks
- When Aleksandra Shai Chai learned she'd have to follow a vegan diet for eight weeks as part of a Stanford University health study, she wasn't happy. But as the
reports, giving up her beloved steak, bacon, and sushi came with advantages. Researchers assigned one half of...
New York City Landlord
Has an Unusual Restriction
Jun 24, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
New York City Landlord Has an Unusual Restriction
No cooking of meat or fish allowed, and the rule appears to be legal
- The one-bedroom apartment up for rent in New York City is listed for $5,750 a month, but that's not out of line for the Big Apple. What has instead drawn attention is the unusual stipulation imposed by the vegan landlord: Tenants are not allowed to cook meat or...
Renowned Chef Bans
Vegans From Restaurant
Jun 21, 2023 3:06 PM CDT
Renowned Chef Bans Vegans From Restaurant
Chefs have 'always hated vegans,' he says
- If you don't want to eat meat or other animal products, celebrity chef John Mountain doesn't want to feed you. The British chef, who owns the Fyre restaurant in Perth, Australia, announced Sunday that he had banned all vegans from the establishment following a barrage of negative reviews....
The 10 Best, Worst
Cities for Herbivores
Sep 27, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
The 10 Best, Worst Cities for Herbivores
WalletHub ranks the best places in the US for vegetarians, vegans
- If living a meat-free existence is your dietary M.O., WalletHub wants to help you find your herbivore paradise. To suss out which US metropolitan areas are the best choices for vegetarians and vegans, the site examined data for the 100 biggest cities, looking at 17 metrics across three main...
Vegan Mother Sentenced
to Life Over Toddler's Death
Aug 29, 2022 4:56 PM CDT
Vegan Mother Sentenced to Life Over Toddler's Death
Sheila O'Leary was convicted on charges including first-degree murder
- A vegan woman convicted of murder in the malnutrition death of her young son was sentenced Monday to life in prison. Sheila O'Leary, 38, whose family followed a strict vegan diet, was convicted in June on six charges—first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter, child abuse, and two...
Traveler Receives Interesting
'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
in case you missed it
Aug 21, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Miriam Porter's TikTok on the water bottle, napkin she was served on Air Canada has gone viral
- Airline food isn't known for being particularly memorable, but Miriam Porter isn't likely to forget the one she was served on Air Canada anytime soon. Among the "special meals" the airline has listed on its website are vegetarian and vegan options, and Porter, a Canadian travel blogger...
3-Star Restaurant Known
for Meat Ditching the Meat
May 4, 2021 6:27 AM CDT
3-Star Restaurant Known for Meat Ditching the Meat
Eleven Madison Park will be almost entirely vegan upon reopening
- A Manhattan restaurant once considered the best in the world will no longer serve meat. David Humm's Eleven Madison Park, which topped the World's 50 Best Restaurants list in 2017 but failed to land a place in 2019 , plans to serve "an eight to ten course menu...
Vegan KitKat Is
Coming, for Some
Feb 15, 2021 12:18 PM CST
Vegan KitKat Is Coming, for Some
Nestle plans to test a plant-based version overseas
- It looks like vegans will be able to snack on a KitKat bar in the near future—though vegans in America will have to wait. Switzerland's Nestle said Monday that a vegan bar, called KitKat V, will be be launched later this year as a test run in “...
Vegans May Be More
Likely to Break Bones
Nov 23, 2020 8:47 AM CST
Vegans May Be More Likely to Break Bones
Largest study of its kind sees increased risk for those who don't eat animal products
- The largest study of its kind suggests that those who don't eat meat are more likely to suffer bone fractures. Vegans, who shun both meat and dairy, appear to have the greatest risk relative to vegetarians and pescatarians, particularly when it comes to hip fractures, reports CNN . To keep...
He Says He Was Fired for Being
Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Jan 3, 2020 10:57 AM CST
He Says He Was Fired for Being Vegan. Now, a Judge's Ruling
Decision says ethical veganism is belief worthy of protection from discrimination, but case isn't over
- A UK man who says he was fired due to his ethical veganism saw partial victory this week via an employment tribunal. Unlike run-of-the-mill veganism, ethical veganism resists not only an animal-based diet, but all kinds of animal exploitation, such as buying clothes made from leather, or testing products on...
McDonald's, Beyond Meat
Team Up on Meatless Burger
Sep 26, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
McDonald's, Beyond Meat Team Up on Meatless Burger
The 'PLT' will be available only in Canada for now
- McDonald's is taking a big step toward joining the meatless bandwagon. The chain said Thursday it will test a meatless burger in a partnership with Beyond Meat, reports Reuters . However, US patrons will have to wait to taste what's being called the "PLT"—plant, lettuce, and...
Sep 24, 2019 11:29 AM CDT
Disney-Loving Vegans, Rejoice
More than 400 plant-based options coming to US parks
- Plant-based dishes are coming to all 602 eateries at Disney's US theme parks. More than 400 dishes "made without animal meat, dairy, eggs or honey"—including cauliflower tacos, fried tofu, and carrot gnocchi—will arrive early next month at Florida's Walt Disney World, and in early...
Airport Police Concede
'Huge' Drug Find Was a Bust
Aug 30, 2019 3:27 PM CDT
Airport Police Concede 'Huge' Drug Find Was a Bust
White powder was for vegan cakes
- A suitcase containing 25 bags of white powder understandably caught the attention of police at London's Gatwick Airport. Tests on the powder and questioning began, the
reports. In the end, police said, "It was determined these bags of powder were cake ingredients for a vegan bakery."...
KFC Is About
to Serve Up
Aug 26, 2019 1:05 PM CDT
KFC Is About to Serve Up Vegan 'Chicken'
Fast food chain is testing Beyond Chicken in one store
- Non-meat "meat" products are almost everywhere, and the next place they're heading is KFC. The chain is testing a vegan version of its fried chicken in an Atlanta restaurant starting Tuesday, CNBC reports. The plant-based product comes from Beyond Meat, making KFC the first national US fast food...
Is Coming to You
Aug 1, 2019 7:40 AM CDT
Burger King's Impossible Whopper Is Coming to You
Nationwide rollout happens in a week
- A nationwide Impossible Whopper is just a week away. Burger King announced Thursday that its vegan burger—expanded to six additional markets following an increase in foot traffic in its initial test market of St. Louis—will be sold at all 7,200 locations across the country for a limited...
Men's Anti-Vegan Stunt
Had Them Eating Raw Squirrels
Jul 23, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
Men's Anti-Vegan Stunt Had Them Eating Raw Squirrels
They have been convicted and fined over the London incident
- There were the vegans who "terrorized" the butchers . Now, the meat eaters who tried to terrorize the vegans. The BBC reports a macabre scene in London on March 30 earned two men disorderly conduct convictions and fines on Monday. Gatis Lagzdins, 29; and Deonisy Khlebnikov, 22, stationed themselves in...
Nation's Top Meat Company
Joins Meatless Bandwagon
Jun 13, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
Nation's Top Meat Company Joins Meatless Bandwagon
Tyson Foods is coming out with nuggets made from pea protein instead of chicken
- In a sign of just how fast the meat-substitute market is growing, Tyson Foods said Thursday it will be coming out with nuggets made from pea protein instead of chicken. This is the same Tyson Foods that killed 2 billion chickens last year as the nation's biggest meat company,...
First, Impossible Burger.
Now, Impossible Pizza
May 20, 2019 7:38 AM CDT
First, Impossible Burger. Now, Impossible Pizza
Little Caesars is first national pizza chain to offer a faux-meat topping
- The meat-substitute movement has entered the world of pizza. Little Caesars is the first national chain to offer a faux-meat topping—Impossible Sausage, reports Business Insider . It will be available on the $12 Impossible Supreme Pizza in select locations for a trial run, per
. The plant-based "sausage" comes...
Beyond Meat's IPO
Was Beyond Successful
May 3, 2019 1:00 AM CDT
Beyond Meat's IPO Was Beyond Successful
Share price more than doubled on first day
- Investors have a big appetite for fake meat. The shares of Beyond Meat, the purveyor of plant-based burgers and sausages, more than doubled Thursday in its Nasdaq debut. It's the first pure-play maker of vegan "meat" to go public, according to Renaissance Capital, which researches and tracks IPOs....
Vegan Whopper's Test Goes
Well; Now, It's Going National
Apr 29, 2019 11:32 AM CDT
Vegan Whopper's Test Goes Well; Now, It's Going National
Company rolling out 'Impossible Whopper' to all locations this year
- Earlier this month, Burger King began testing a vegan Whopper in the St. Louis area. Reviews came in surprisingly strong—including this one from a worried meat-industry lobbyist who could see or taste no substantial difference between the vegan "Impossible Whopper" and the beef version. As a result, Burger...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
High School Killer Gets Life
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.