Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Bride Draws the Line With
Her Wedding: 'No Murderers'
Jan 26, 2019 11:15 AM CST
Bride Draws the Line With Her Wedding: 'No Murderers'
The unidentified Aussie refused to invite meat-eaters
- An Australian bride's line when it came to wedding invitations—"No murderers"—apparently didn't go over well on Facebook. According to Australia's News Network , the unidentified vegan banned meat-eating family members from her wedding and got slammed for it: "When your 'family' tries...
A Vegan's Mom Made Meat
Sauce. It Didn't Go Over Well
Nov 3, 2018 8:00 AM CDT
A Vegan's Mom Made Meat Sauce. It Didn't Go Over Well
Daughter accused of threatening to stab mother over meaty meal
- Kids sometimes don't like the food their parents make, but a) this woman's picky-eater daughter is 48 years old, and b) most kids don't threaten to knife their parents over what's cooking. The
New York Post
reports on a story out of Italy, where local media...
Law Would Force Tofurky
to Change Its Packaging
Aug 27, 2018 6:15 PM CDT
Law Would Force Tofurky to Change Its Packaging
Tofurky filed a suit to stop it
- Vegetarian food-maker Tofurky filed a lawsuit in Missouri on Monday seeking to defend its right to describe its products with meat terminology such as "sausage" and "hot dogs," as long as the packaging makes clear what the ingredients are, the AP reports. The Hood River, Oregon-based company...
French Butchers Have Beef
With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Jun 27, 2018 4:34 PM CDT
French Butchers Have Beef With Vegan 'Terror' Campaign
Meat sellers are now seeking police protection
- Graffiti, smashed windows, even shops splattered with blood. This is the "terror" being set upon meat purveyors in France, the head of the French Federation of Butchers tells the BBC , all part of a campaign by vegans to intimidate "in their aim of making a whole section of...
Way to Help Planet
Jun 1, 2018 11:27 AM CDT
Researchers See Controversial Way to Help Planet
It involves getting rid of meat and dairy agriculture, or at least reducing
- A comprehensive new study finds that more than 75% of the world's farmland—an area the size of the US, EU, China, and Australia combined—could be freed up for new uses and the world still wouldn't go hungry. The big catch: Humans would have to stop consuming...
Vegan Restaurant Bans
Bottle-Feeding Cow's Milk
Apr 3, 2017 7:32 PM CDT
Vegan Restaurant Bans Bottle-Feeding Cow's Milk
Customers react after sign on door asks parents to leave milk bottles at home
- A vegan restaurant in Spain has caused quite a ruckus by posting this on its door: “We like mothers, of all species. That’s why we don’t like bottle feeds based on cow’s milk. Please don’t use them in the restaurant.” According to
for Being 'Annoying'
Jan 12, 2017 9:21 AM CST
Woman Denied Swiss Passport for Being 'Annoying'
Nancy Holten meets all legal requirements
- A vocal vegan in Switzerland seems to have voiced her discontent with certain Swiss traditions too many times. Nancy Holten was born in the Netherlands but has lived in Switzerland since she was 8; she'd like to gain Swiss citizenship, which her children have, but despite meeting all legal...
Pam Anderson to Assange:
Here, Have a Nice Vegan Lunch
Oct 16, 2016 9:33 AM CDT
Pam Anderson to Assange: Here, Have a Nice Vegan Lunch
Animal activist drops by the Ecuadorian embassy in London
- Pamela Anderson is better known for PETA ads and sex tapes , but she's apparently branching out to delivering food to house-bound internationally wanted founders of WikiLeaks, reports the
. In London on Sunday, she tells the British Press Association that she dropped by the Ecuadorian embassy to visit its...
Our Biggest Meat Producer
Invests in Vegan 'Meat'
Oct 11, 2016 7:21 AM CDT
Our Biggest Meat Producer Invests in Vegan 'Meat'
Tyson Foods nabs 5% stake in startup Beyond Meat
- The country's largest meat producer is investing in a vegan startup. Tyson Foods has acquired a 5% stake in Beyond Meat, whose food products made from plant-based proteins are sold in 11,000 stores across the country, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. One analyst suspects Tyson Foods is more...
Vegan Mom Accused
of Feeding Baby
Only Fruits, Nuts
Oct 7, 2016 2:32 PM CDT
Vegan Mom Accused of Feeding Baby Only Fruits, Nuts
Family says Elizabeth Hawk wanted to live on 'water and sunlight' herself
- A vegan Pennsylvania woman who was, per her family, determined to live on "water and sunlight" apparently took her extreme dietary views too far and has now been accused of starving her 11-month-old baby, feeding him nothing but fruit and nuts, CBS Pittsburgh reports. The child's father, who'...
Hot Vegan Company
Sold a Lot of Mayo—to Itself
Aug 5, 2016 12:06 PM CDT
Hot Vegan Company Sold a Lot of Mayo—to Itself
Bloomberg uncovers Hampton Creek program after review of emails, receipts
- Well, it’s one way to boost sales. Innovative vegan mayo producer Hampton Creek is being accused of dispatching agents to buy back hundreds of jars of its own product. The reason? To make Just Mayo more popular than it really was and impress investors, suggests Bloomberg following interviews and...
Mayor Tries to
Jul 22, 2016 5:50 PM CDT
Mayor Tries to Create Vegan Paradise in Meat-Loving Italy
- Say this about Chiara Appendino, she's not afraid of being unpopular. The
reports the new mayor of Turin, Italy, who was elected last month, has promised to make vegetarianism and veganism a "priority" for her government. “The promotion of vegan and vegetarian diets is a fundamental...
CEO Pays 6 Figures for
Ad on Trump
Jul 18, 2016 9:01 AM CDT
CEO Pays 6 Figures for Full-Page
Ad on Trump
Josh Tetrick is head of vegan company Hampton Creek
- An LGBT advocacy group , a Hollywood star , and a Supreme Court justice have all taken on Donald Trump in recent weeks—and now the chief executive of a vegan food products company has jumped into the mix. Joshua Tetrick, CEO of Hampton Creek, took out a full-page ad blasting the...
Vegan Baby Hospitalized,
Taken From Parents
Jul 12, 2016 9:20 AM CDT
Vegan Baby Hospitalized, Taken From Parents
At 14 months, he weighed as much as a typical 3-month-old
- Veganism is on the rise in Italy, and while it's been shown to be the best diet for weight loss , a few babies who are also on a strict no-animal-products diet appear to be paying a price. A 14-month-old was rushed to a Milan hospital this month by his...
Chef Brags About Putting
Meat in Vegans' Food
Jul 8, 2016 6:22 AM CDT
Chef Brags About Putting Meat in Vegans' Food
He was fired for 'stupid' online remarks
- Today's top tip for chefs: Don't boast about sneaking ingredients people don't want to eat into their food. The Littleover Lodge Hotel in Derby, England, canned head chef Adam Lambert after he did just that, telling a woman he was arguing with online that she "should...
Attack Vegan Cafe
Jun 1, 2016 2:03 AM CDT
Meat-Throwing Thugs Attack Vegan Cafe
Some of them were wearing sausages
- Simply avoiding a vegan cafe wasn't good enough for a group of men in Tbilisi, who stormed the establishment in the Georgian capital Sunday night and pelted diners with meat. The men "entered and started to be violent," the Kiwi Cafe says in a Facebook post . "...
$2M Theft, NYC's
Felled by Pizza
May 25, 2016 1:03 AM CDT
Accused in $2M Theft, NYC's 'Hottest Vegan' Felled by Pizza
She's now in Riker's, accused of stealing millions from her own restaurant
- It's a dizzying downfall: Sarma Melngailis went from the Ivy League and French Culinary Institute to near-instant fame and success in the Big Apple when she opened the vegan restaurant Pure Food and Wine, frequented by the likes of Alec Baldwin. Hailed as the city's "hottest vegan"...
Wanted to Prove
May 23, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
Everest Victim Wanted to Prove 'Vegans Can Do Anything'
Maria Strydom succumbed to altitude sickness near the summit
- A fourth person has died on Mount Everest, and further details about the deaths are slowly emerging. Subhash Paul of India was being assisted overnight Sunday by Sherpa guides during a descent when he died of altitude sickness, the AP reports. Dutch climber Eric Arnold passed away Friday of the...
May 12, 2016 8:39 AM CDT
Vegan Wonder Ingredient: Liquid We Dumped Down Drain
Aquafaba is opening up a frothy new world of vegan meringues, macaroons, and more
- When newly vegan Indiana software engineer Goose Wohlt heard his wife talk last year about a video of two French women whipping up a chocolate mousse using the liquid typically tossed from a can of chickpeas, he decided to try a meringue. And it worked. Almost overnight the discovery became...
Eat Meat, Get Death Threats
May 5, 2016 1:33 AM CDT
Vegan Restaurateurs Eat Meat, Get Death Threats
'A lot of vegans have a right to feel betrayed by this'
- A couple whose string of trendy vegan restaurants in California is popular with the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow, Beyoncé, Emma Stone, and Woody Harrelson are under attack after it was discovered they've been eating meat for months, the
reports. "This is a vegan restaurant company that's...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.