Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Admits Plan to
May 26, 2016 6:28 AM CDT
PayPal Founder Admits Plan to Kill Gawker
It's about sticking up for the little guy: Peter Thiel
- Peter Thiel admits he spent around $10 million to fund lawsuits against Gawker in the hope of ruining the media company—and it's "one of my greater philanthropic things that I've done." But "it's less about revenge and more about specific deterrence," the...
Still Has to Pay
Hulk Hogan $140M
May 25, 2016 1:40 PM CDT
Judge: Gawker Still Has to Pay Hulk Hogan $140M
She declined to order a new trial or reduce the jury's verdict
- Well, it looks like Gawker still owes Hulk Hogan $140 million. On Wednesday, a Florida circuit court judge declined to order a new trial or change the jury's verdict in Hogan's lawsuit against the media company, according to the
. Gawker's attorney had asked the judge...
May Be Behind
May 25, 2016 6:48 AM CDT
PayPal Founder May Be Behind Legal Attack on Gawker
Peter Thiel reportedly funding Hulk Hogan's lawsuit
- The founder of PayPal has long made clear that he hates Gawker. Now
reports that Peter Thiel is using his billions to fund a potentially devastating legal fight against the media group. Specifically, the report says Thiel has been secretly funding Hulk Hogan's lawsuits against Gawker over the...
Gawker May Have
Just Solved the
May 24, 2016 7:04 PM CDT
Gawker May Have Just Solved the Mystery of Trump's Hair
It involves metal clamps, donor hair, a shadowy expert, and lots of money
- "Remember the $500 haircut ?" quips Gawker's John Cook? That's nothing. Gawker just went all Woodward and Bernstein on Donald Trump's "inscrutable hairdo." A tipster, French patents, multiple lawsuits, an archived website, and more have led the Ashley Feinberg to pen a 3,479-word...
Hulk Hogan Is
Suing Gawker Again
May 2, 2016 4:55 PM CDT
Hulk Hogan Is Suing Gawker Again
What a mess
- Hulk Hogan won $140 million after suing Gawker for publishing a portion of a sex tape starring him, but he's not done: On Monday, he filed another suit against the website and other entities. This time, he's suing because, he says, an extended transcript of the full sex...
the Hulk Hogan
Mar 20, 2016 11:33 AM CDT
What Does the Hulk Hogan Verdict Mean?
Case will need to be upheld to set precedent, but privacy advocates could gain momentum
- Hulk Hogan on Friday won an eye-popping $115 million from Gawker Media for publishing a sex tape—more than he sought and what Ars Technica called a potentially "life-threatening event" for Gawker—but what are the real implications for celebrity privacy and for media freedom? The short answer, legally...
Hulk Hogan Gets
$115M in Gawker
Sex Tape Lawsuit
Mar 18, 2016 6:50 PM CDT
Hulk Hogan Gets $115M in Gawker Sex Tape Lawsuit
Is it the end of Gawker?
- Former professional wrestler Hulk Hogan was awarded $115 million by a jury Friday in his lawsuit against Gawker, which published a sex tape featuring the Hulkster in 2012, the AP reports. It's $15 million more than he was asking. According to Ars Technica , which points out punitive damages could...
Hulk Hogan Trial
Targets 'News Value'
of His Privates
Mar 14, 2016 6:00 PM CDT
Hulk Hogan Trial Targets 'News Value' of His Privates
AJ Daulerio admits wrestler's genitals aren't newsworthy
- Former Gawker editor AJ Daulerio took the stand Monday in the trial over the website's publication of the Hulk Hogan sex tape, and during what the
calls "heated" questioning toward the end of his testimony, this exchange between Daulerio and one of the lawyers for Hogan...
Mar 9, 2016 3:48 PM CST
Former Gawker Editor Has Disturbing Answer on Sex Tapes
How young is too young to publish? 'Four'
- Hulk Hogan is suing Gawker for publishing a sex tape that shows the wrestler with his best friend's wife, and in court Wednesday, the former editor-in-chief of Gawker had a disturbing answer when asked about his policy on sex tapes. In a taped deposition shown to jurors, Hogan's...
Nov 17, 2015 5:20 PM CST
Big Changes at Gawker
Popular site will switch gears to focus on politics
- Big changes are afoot at a major online media empire. On Tuesday a memo to staff announced Gawker—founded in 2003 to cover New York and the media—will now be a political website, the
New York Times
reports. “[Gawker] will ride the circus of the 2016 campaign cycle,...
6 Links That Explain
the War at Gawker
Jul 20, 2015 1:36 PM CDT
6 Links That Explain the War at Gawker
As editors Tommy Craggs, Max Read resign today
- On Thursday, a storm erupted with Gawker's publication of a story by Jordan Sargent about the CFO of a media company who allegedly planned to step out on his wife to meet a gay escort in Chicago. As Dylan Byers pointed out at Politico , "widespread condemnation" ensued, and...
Hitler Bot Hijacks
Coke's Twitter Campaign
Feb 6, 2015 4:25 AM CST
Hitler Bot Hijacks Coke's Twitter Campaign
'Make It Happy' meets Mein Kampf
- It was almost inevitable that Coca-Cola's automated campaign to combat online negativity would be hijacked by pranksters—but the "Make It Happy" team probably wasn't expecting a Hitler bot. The campaign turned the words of negative tweets into happy ASCII cartoons, but after noticing that a white...
We All Want
to Say 'F--- It.'
But We Can't
Sep 23, 2014 1:23 PM CDT
We All Want to Say 'F--- It.' But We Can't
Emily Gould reflects on her own memorable exit
- "F--- it, I quit:" When reporter Charlo Greene dropped an on-air F-bomb and publicly told her employer to shove it so she could go do something she'd rather be doing, well, we've all been Charlo Greene. But particularly Emily Gould, who really did quit in...
to Tarantino Suit
Jan 28, 2014 10:52 AM CST
Gawker Issues 6-Point Rebuttal to Tarantino Suit
'We'll be fighting this one'
- Looks like Gawker isn't going to take Quentin Tarantino's lawsuit lying down. A refresher: Tarantino's script for
The Hateful Eight
was leaked; Tarantino freaked out ; Gawker's Defamer posted a link to the leaked script; Tarantino freaked out some more and sued Gawker . In response, John Cook...
Jun 5, 2013 3:41 AM CDT
Toronto Mayor Crack Video 'Gone'
Gawker suspects Rob Ford got to it first
- A video that allegedly shows Toronto mayor Rob Ford hitting the crack pipe is "gone," Gawker has discovered after raising $200,000 to buy it . After a long silence, the video's owner reached out to an intermediary with the message, "It's gone. Leave me alone,...
Toronto Mayor Crack Video Fund Hits $200K Target
May 28, 2013 1:43 AM CDT
Toronto Mayor Crack Video Fund Hits $200K Target
As aides bail, owners of Rob Ford video can't be found
- Gawker's "Crackstarter" fundraiser to buy a video that allegedly shows Toronto mayor Rob Ford smoking crack has hit its $200,000 target—but they haven't been able to make contact with the video's owners. More than 8,000 people chipped in to push the campaign over...
to Buy Mayor
May 17, 2013 6:33 PM CDT
Gawker Crowdfunding to Buy Mayor Crack Tape
'Crackstarter' campaign aims to raise $200K to make video public
- Forget checkbook journalism—welcome to the era of PayPal journalism. Gawker has launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise $200,000 so it can buy the video that allegedly shows Toronto Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack. "They will give us the video. We will publish the video. You will watch...
For Iraq's 10th
Mar 20, 2013 3:03 AM CDT
For Iraq's 10th Anniversary, Gawker Prints Bush's Email
Readers urged to wish him a 'happy Iraq War day'
- To mark the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, Gawker has printed the private email address of George W. Bush and encouraged its readers to wish the man who ordered the invasion a "Happy Iraq War Day." The address was spotted in screenshots of correspondence published by...
Did Hulk Hogan
Leak His Own
Oct 16, 2012 8:52 AM CDT
Did Hulk Hogan Leak His Own Sex Tape?
Love Sponge claims he did as wrestler sues for $100M+
- Hulk Hogan is indeed suing over his leaked sex tape , and for a big number: more than $100 million. The wrestler is going after Bubba the Love Sponge and his ex-wife , who he says recorded him in the act without his permission, as well as Gawker, which made the video...
Troll' Fired After
Oct 15, 2012 4:50 PM CDT
Internet's 'Biggest Troll' Fired After Gawker Exposé
Michael Brutsch, aka Reddit's Violentacrez, loses his job
- Michael Brutsch, aka notoriously controversial Reddit user Violentacrez, was worried about his job when Gawker revealed his true identity last week —and for good reason, it turns out. "I got fired Saturday morning, by phone," Brutsch wrote on Reddit in a post noticed by Daily Dot . In...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.