Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Slow Count
in 2 Places
May 17, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Printer Errors to Slow Count in 2 Places
Counties in Oregon, Pennsylvania say the results will be accurate
- Printing mistakes will force local election officials in Pennsylvania and Oregon to redo thousands of mailed ballots, a laborious process that could delay results for some closely contested races in Tuesday's primaries. In Pennsylvania, where GOP primaries for governor and US Senate are drawing national attention, officials in Republican-leaning...
Talk Show Host Wins Fight
for Spot on Recall Ballot
Jul 21, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Talk Show Host Wins Fight for Spot on Recall Ballot
Judge decides Larry Elder didn't owe state any tax returns anyway
- With only hours to go before the list of candidates in California's recall election to decide the governorship was to become final, a judge decided it should include talk show host Larry Elder. The secretary of state had said Elder didn't meet the requirement to submit tax returns...
His Mom Voted for Trump.
She Died in 2008.
May 4, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
His Mom Voted for Trump. She Died in 2008.
Pa. man gets 5 years of probation for unlawful voting for casting absentee ballot for dead mother
- Elizabeth Bartman voted for President Trump in the 2020 election, but there was one problem: She'd been dead since 2008. Now, her son has been sentenced to five years of probation after he confessed to securing an absentee ballot in his mom's name and casting it. The
Judge: You Can Analyze
Those Voting Machines
Dec 6, 2020 1:35 PM CST
Judge: You Can Analyze Those Voting Machines
Rudy Giuliani calls it a 'big win,' but that might not be true
- A judge ruled Friday that forensic photos can be taken of Dominion vote tabulation machines in one Michigan county, a move hailed by Rudy Giuliani—although it's unrelated to the presidential election, the
reports. The judge said a voter had complained about three ballots allegedly being ignored...
After Supreme Court Order on
Pa. Ballots, a Trump Tirade
Nov 7, 2020 8:15 AM CST
After Supreme Court Order on Pa. Ballots, a Trump Tirade
Justice Alito says ballots received after Election Day must be segregated, but count continues
- As Joe Biden closes in on a win , Pennsylvania remains a key state that could put him over the top. And per a ruling from Pennsylvania's Supreme Court, ballots postmarked by Tuesday but received by 5pm Friday are allowed in the count. But on Friday, in response to a...
Nov 4, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Media Rejects 'Conspiracy' in Arizona
'Sharpiegate' theory comes to life on social media
- As states across the US release vote totals for the presidential election, some social media users are falsely claiming that ballots are being invalidated in Arizona. The supposed culprit: Sharpie markers, the AP reports. In what's come to be known as #Sharpiegate, social media posts suggest that election officials...
Chaos Erupts at
Nov 4, 2020 5:17 PM CST
Chaos Erupts at Ballot-Counting Center
Challengers claim they are barred from vote-counting room
- A chaotic scene broke out Wednesday in Detroit when dozens of poll challengers claimed they were being barred from a ballot-counting area, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. Told the room at TCF Center had hit capacity, people banged on windows and doors, and some chanted "Stop the vote."...
California Ballot Box
Apparently Set on Fire
Oct 20, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
California Ballot Box Apparently Set on Fire
More than 200 ballots were impacted
- Authorities believe a California ballot box was set on fire in Los Angeles Sunday night. The ballots inside were, obviously, damaged; the
reports firefighters had to spray water into the box to extinguish the blaze, then cut the box open with a chainsaw to get the ballots out. The...
Judge Blocks Texas Governor's
Order on Ballot Drop-Offs
Oct 10, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Judge Blocks Texas Governor's Order on Ballot Drop-Offs
Greg Abbott had mandated just one ballot drop-off site per county, drawing cries of voter suppression
- Last week, cries of voter suppression arose after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order that limited mail-in ballot drop-off locations to just one per county throughout the state. Now, a federal judge has blocked that order, noting that it puts an unacceptable burden on more vulnerable voters in...
In Texas, Cries of
Oct 2, 2020 7:23 AM CDT
In Texas, Cries of Voter Suppression
Governor's order limits ballot drop-off sites to 1 per county
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Thursday limiting ballot drop-off locations to one per county in what one county clerk says is "a deliberate attempt to manipulate the election." Harris County, encompassing Houston and some 4.7 million residents, planned 12 drop-off sites following an executive...
Are in Cahoots
Sep 17, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Judge: Trump, Postal Service Are in Cahoots
Judge Stanley Bastian issues a nationwide injunction against the USPS 'leave behind' policy
- A US judge on Thursday blocked controversial Postal Service changes that have slowed mail nationwide, calling them "a politically motivated attack on the efficiency of the Postal Service" before the November election, the AP reports. Judge Stanley Bastian in Yakima, Washington, said he was issuing a nationwide preliminary injunction...
Pelosi in Rare Saturday
Session: 'Ignore' Trump
Aug 22, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Pelosi in Rare Saturday Session: 'Ignore' Trump
The speaker calls in lawmakers over Republican objections
- The House is meeting for a rare Saturday session over mail delivery disruptions, poised to approve legislation that would reverse recent changes in US Postal Service operations and send $25 billion in emergency funds to shore up the agency ahead of the November election, the AP reports. Speaker Nancy Pelosi...
Way to 'Fix'
Aug 22, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Cuomo Offers Way to 'Fix' Mail-In Ballots
New York state's governor says voters should be able to amend errors
- Anticipating a wave of mail-in voting this fall, New York state will now give voters a chance to correct missing signatures and other clerical errors so their absentee ballots can be counted—but the exact provisions haven't yet been made public after last-minute negotiations between Gov. Andrew Cuomo and...
McEnany Is Asked: Will Trump
Accept the Election Outcome?
Aug 19, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
McEnany Is Asked: Will Trump Accept the Election Outcome?
Kayleigh McEnany answers without really answering
- White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany punted twice Wednesday when asked whether President Trump would accept an election loss in November, the
reports. "The president believes he's done a great job for the American people, and that will show in November," she said, telling a reporter...
Aug 15, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Lawmaker Names Trump in Criminal Referral
'We simply cannot be polite to corruption,' says Rep. Bill Pascrell
- A House Democrat is seeking an investigation into what he calls the Trump administration's "accelerated arson" of the US Postal Service, the
New Jersey Herald
reports. "I call upon you to open a wide-ranging investigation of Trump's action to interfere with our elections and empanel a...
State to Kanye:
You Gave Us
Aug 8, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
State to Kanye: You Gave Us 1.9K Invalid Signatures
He's unlikely to get on the ballot in his home state of Illinois
- Looks like Kanye West won't be on the Illinois ballot after all, TMZ reports. The politically inspired rapper handed in his petition to appear on his home state's presidential ballot in November, but officials rejected 1,928 of his submitted signatures—more than half—which leaves him over...
GOP Operative Handled Ballots
Illegally: NC Elections Chief
Feb 18, 2019 5:45 PM CST
GOP Operative Handled Ballots Illegally: NC Elections Chief
Congressional contest between Mark Harris and Democrat Dan McCready hangs in the balance
- A Republican operative, who last year rounded up votes for a GOP candidate running for Congress, conducted an illegal and well-funded ballot-harvesting operation, North Carolina's elections director said Monday. The director's testimony came on the first day of a hearing into whether mail-in ballots were tampered with in...
Big Move in One State Could
Keep Trump Off 2020 Ballot
Jun 22, 2018 9:11 AM CDT
Big Move in One State Could Keep Trump Off 2020 Ballot
Rhode Island bill would make all presidential hopefuls release tax returns to get on ballot
- Gayle Goldin wants to make sure future presidential candidates fully reveal any potential conflicts of interest. That's why the Democratic state senator from Rhode Island is now sponsoring a bill that would require Oval Office hopefuls to release five years' worth of tax returns—meaning President Trump could see...
Good News, NH: You Can
Take Ballot Selfies Again
Sep 29, 2016 6:58 AM CDT
Good News, NH: You Can Take Ballot Selfies Again
Federal court says ban infringes on 1st Amendment rights to 'core political speech'
- If you live in New Hampshire and want to take a picture of your Election Day ballot to post on Facebook so your friends can argue over your judgment, that's your call. So says a federal appeals court that overturned a ban on ballot selfies, ruling that the 2014...
in 2016 Race
Sep 9, 2016 6:59 AM CDT
It's Here: Early Voting in 2016 Race Has Begun
As of Friday, North Carolina is accepting absentee ballots
- Determining the fate of the US presidency officially kicks off Friday. North Carolina is the first of 37 states and DC to open up advance balloting so voters can, as the AP puts it, "be done with the 2016 presidential race." North Carolinians can now send in absentee...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
200 People Drift Away While Ice Fishing in Minnesota
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.