Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
'Imminent Attack' Feared
at Kabul Airport
Aug 26, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
'Imminent Attack' Feared at Kabul Airport
Massive airlift is entering final phase
- European nations offered stark warnings Thursday about the waning days of a massive airlift to bring people out of Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, with a British official saying an "imminent attack" could target Kabul's international airport. As President Biden says he'll stick with his deadline of Aug. 31 to...
CIA Is Helping Extract
Americans From Kabul
Aug 25, 2021 4:39 PM CDT
CIA Is Helping Extract Americans From Kabul
Blinken says 1.5K Americans are still in the country
- There are still around 1,500 American citizens left in Afghanistan—not including the thousands of troops involved in the evacuation mission—and Secretary of State Anthony Blinken says the US is doing all it can to get them out. Blinken said Wednesday that diplomats are in direct contact with...
Biden: We're Sticking to
Aug. 31 Afghanistan Deadline
Aug 24, 2021 6:16 PM CDT
Biden: We're Sticking to Aug. 31 Afghanistan Deadline
He warns of terror attacks if evacuation mission extends past withdrawal date
- President Biden declared Tuesday he is sticking to his Aug. 31 deadline for completing a risky airlift of Americans, endangered Afghans and others seeking to escape Taliban-controlled Afghanistan. The decision defies allied leaders who want to give the evacuation more time and opens Biden to criticism that he caved to...
US Forces Go Beyond
Kabul Airport to Save Citizens
Aug 23, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
US Forces Go Beyond Kabul Airport to Save Citizens
With clock ticking, evacuation has been stepped up
- US forces in Afghanistan are going beyond Kabul's airport to rescue stranded American citizens and allies, the Pentagon confirmed Monday. Pentagon press secretary John Kirby said troops and helicopters have extracted around 350 Americans from the city and there could be similar missions in cases where people are "...
Open to Refugees
Aug 21, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Americans' Doors Open to Refugees
Groups ask for more volunteers to prepare for arrivals from Afghanistan
- As refugees from Afghanistan begin arriving in the US, Americans are offering to take them in. Jacqueline Buzas of Refugee Services of Texas said the organization has never seen a response like this, the
reports. "We have people calling to say, 'I have an extra bedroom....
'We Will Get You Home'
Aug 20, 2021 2:50 PM CDT
Biden's Message: 'We Will Get You Home'
President addresses Americans still stuck in Afghanistan, along with Afghan allies
- As critics slammed his administration for not starting evacuations sooner , President Biden told Americans in Afghanistan on Friday that "we will get you home.” Tens of thousands of Americans and Afghan allies are still waiting to leave the country as the Aug. 31 deadline looms, the AP reports....
for Family of
Aug 20, 2021 1:38 PM CDT
Frustration Builds for Family of Taliban Captive
Pressure on Trump, Biden administrations for help hasn't won release of Mark Frerichs, 59
- Charlene Cakora has been trying for more than a year, during two presidential administrations, to win US help for rescuing her brother from the Taliban. A Navy veteran, Mark Frerichs, 59, had worked as a civil engineer for 10 years in Kabul when he was kidnapped , the BBC reports. Cakora...
Blinken's Own Staffers Warned
Him of Quick Afghan Collapse
Aug 20, 2021 8:05 AM CDT
Blinken's Own Staffers Warned Him of Quick Afghan Collapse
State Department chief received internal document on July 13
- The White House says nobody anticipated that Afghanistan would fall so quickly. But the
Wall Street Journal
is out with a scoop about an internal State Department cable dated July 13 that warned things were about to get very bad in a hurry:
The cable, signed by 23 staffers,
Members of Girls' Robotics
Team Escape Afghanistan
Aug 19, 2021 12:04 AM CDT
Members of Girls' Robotics Team Escape Afghanistan
Those remaining are terrified about the future, human rights lawyer says
- In 2017, an all-girls robotics team nicknamed the Afghan Dreamers made headlines after their visas to attend a competition in the US were rejected , then granted after lobbying from then-President Trump. Now, they are trying to escape a nightmare. Some members of the team, based in the western city of...
Biden: There Was No Way to
Avoid Chaos in Afghanistan
Aug 18, 2021 6:02 PM CDT
Biden: There Was No Way to Avoid Chaos in Afghanistan
He doesn't think there was a failure in 'intelligence, planning, execution, or judgment'
- President Biden insisted Wednesday that chaos in Afghanistan as US troops pulled out was unavoidable—and he bristled when asked about distressing scenes at Kabul's airport. When asked by ABC interviewer George Stephanopoulos if he thought the "exit could have been handled better in any way," Biden...
Senate to Investigate What
Led to 'Worst-Case Scenario'
Aug 18, 2021 2:44 PM CDT
Senate to Investigate What Led to 'Worst-Case Scenario'
'Highest-level' Biden officials will speak at congressional hearings, Pelosi says
- Democratic lawmakers have largely avoided directly criticizing President Biden's administration over events in Afghanistan—but they still have a lot of questions about how the Taliban were able to seize control with stunning speed, leading to a chaotic evacuation from Kabul's airport. Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Mark Warner...
Up to 15K Americans
Are Still in Afghanistan,
and It's a Big Mess
Aug 18, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
Up to 15K Americans Are Still in Afghanistan, and It's a Big Mess
It's not clear what will happen to those outside Kabul
- Americans are being evacuated from Afghanistan amid the Taliban's takeover of the country, but as many as 15,000 still remain there, according to administration sources who spoke to NBC News and the
. About 1,100 had been evacuated as of Tuesday night, but "now that...
US Officials Fooled Themselves
Into This Mess Over 20 Years
Aug 16, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
US Officials Fooled Themselves Into This Mess Over 20 Years
Daniel Silverberg and Fred Kaplan see a mission that was misguided and unsuccessful all along
- Afghanistan was never America's to lose. The US and its Afghan allies did not, at any point, control the country, Daniel Silverberg writes in the
. Instead, officials in Washington deluded themselves and each other for two decades, until President Biden was left with nothing but bad choices . A...
US Reaches Out
to Russia, China
Aug 16, 2021 6:55 PM CDT
US Reaches Out to Russia, China on Afghanistan
Merkel calls developments 'bitter, dramatic, and awful'
- The Biden administration is reaching out to top rivals Russia and China as the situation in Afghanistan continues to deteriorate amid a scramble to evacuate Americans, other foreigners and at-risk Afghans from the Kabul airport. The outreach also comes amid concerns that either or both Moscow and Beijing might stymie...
Female Mayor Is 'Waiting
for Taliban to Kill Her'
Aug 16, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Female Mayor Is 'Waiting for Taliban to Kill Her'
'There is no one to help me or my family,' says Zarifa Ghafari
- In 2018, Zarifa Ghafari became one of Afghanistan's first female mayors—and the country's youngest mayor. Now, the 27-year-old says she is at her home in Kabul, waiting for the Taliban to kill her. "There is no one to help me or my family. I'm just...
Biden: 'I Stand Squarely
Behind My Decision'
Aug 16, 2021 3:42 PM CDT
Biden: 'I Stand Squarely Behind My Decision'
'I’ve learned the hard way that there was never a good time to withdraw US forces'
- With the Taliban in control of Afghanistan and desperate Afghans clinging to US planes amid chaos at Kabul's airport, President Biden is defending his decision to pull American troops out of the country. "I stand squarely behind my decision,” he said at the White House Monday, per...
Afghans Cling to US
Plane, Fall to Their Deaths
Aug 16, 2021 2:06 PM CDT
Afghans Cling to US Plane, Fall to Their Deaths
Disturbing footage shows people pressed against a US Air Force C-17 as it takes off
- The videos are unbearable to watch. In one, people desperate to flee Afghanistan cling to the side of a US Air Force plane as it tries to take off. "How petrified does an individual have to be to risk everything and just try to physically crush yourself onto the...
Taliban Have Seized
the Presidential Palace
Aug 16, 2021 1:20 AM CDT
Taliban Have Seized the Presidential Palace
Government collapses as Taliban declare the war 'over'
- Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan, on Sunday fell to the Taliban, completing the militant group's takeover of the country so quickly that even the Taliban's co-founder admitted in an evening video statement the group was surprised at the speed. Hours earlier, the Taliban had entered Kabul as Afghanistan'...
Afghan President Leaves
Nation as Taliban Reach Kabul
Aug 15, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Afghan President Leaves Nation as Taliban Reach Kabul
Ashraf Ghani flies out with militants on brink of total takeover of Afghanistan
- Afghanistan’s embattled president left the country Sunday, joining his fellow citizens and foreigners in a stampede fleeing the advancing Taliban and signaling the end of a 20-year Western experiment aimed at remaking Afghanistan, per the AP . The Taliban, which for hours had been in the outskirts of Kabul, announced...
After Afghan Cities
Fall Without a Fight,
Aug 14, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
After Afghan Cities Fall Without a Fight, Biden Announces New Deployment
Another 1K Americans will go for a 'safe drawdown'
- The Taliban advance through Afghanistan rolled on Saturday unchecked, with government forces surrendering territory without a fight. When the central province of Daykundi fell, a lawmaker said, only two gunshots were fired in the capital. President Biden announced a series of steps, while reiterating that he will not "pass...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Former Cowboys Player Dies in Climbing Accident
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.