Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
Aug 13, 2021 1:21 PM CDT
Biden's Tone on Afghans' Plight Is 'Strikingly Cold'
President is resolute about withdrawal, but criticism mounts as Taliban keeps advancing
- President Biden is enduring the harshest criticism of his presidency to date in the wake of the Taliban's swift spread throughout Afghanistan. As of Friday afternoon, the group had completed its takeover of the south and now controls two-thirds of the nation, reports the AP . All eyes are now...
Panic, Disbelief in Kabul
as More Cities Fall to Taliban
Aug 13, 2021 6:29 AM CDT
Panic, Disbelief in Kabul as More Cities Fall to Taliban
Group has completed sweep of southern Afghanistan
- The Taliban's offensive in Afghanistan continued with terrifying speed Friday, with another three provincial capitals falling to the militants. Lashkar Gah, capital of Helmand province, was under Taliban control Friday after weeks of heavy fighting. Lawmakers in Uruzgat and Zabul provinces say their capitals have fallen to the Taliban,...
US Sends Troops to
Help Evacuate Embassy
Aug 12, 2021 3:35 PM CDT
US Sends Troops to Help Evacuate Embassy
With Taliban closing in on Kabul, administration asks that its diplomatic post be spared
- If the Taliban successfully storm Kabul, the US is asking that they please spare the American Embassy. In the meantime, troops are being sent to Afghanistan to help evacuate Americans stationed at the embassy. Other diplomatic stations in the country already have been closed as the Taliban overrun the nation...
Report: Pentagon Fears
Kabul Could Fall in 30 Days
Aug 12, 2021 4:48 AM CDT
Report: Pentagon Fears Kabul Could Fall in 30 Days
Taliban seizes 10th provincial capital
- Less than a week ago, the Taliban seized their first provincial capital since the withdrawal of US troops began. On Thursday, they seized their tenth, raising their flag in the city of Ghazni, just 80 miles southwest of Kabul, the AP reports. Another three of the country's 34 capitals...
Book: US Lied
Close Call With Taliban
Aug 10, 2021 1:16 PM CDT
Book: US Lied About Cheney's Close Call With Taliban
Suicide bomber nearly killed him at Bagram base, according to 'The Afghanistan Papers'
- Back in 2007, a Taliban suicide bomber struck at the Bagram air base in Afghanistan and killed 23 people. As it turns out, Vice President Dick Cheney was at the base at the time on an unannounced visit, and while he wasn't injured, the Taliban said he had been...
Pentagon: 'It's Their
Country to Defend Now'
Aug 9, 2021 5:41 PM CDT
Pentagon: 'It's Their Country to Defend Now'
US will not step up airstrikes in Afghanistan despite Taliban advance
- The US showed no sign Monday of stepping up airstrikes in Afghanistan despite accelerating Taliban gains there. A Pentagon spokesman emphasized that Americans now see the fight as one for Afghan political and military leaders to win or lose. "When we look back, it’s going to come down...
Country's Top Media Official
Aug 6, 2021 9:49 AM CDT
Taliban Assassinate Country's Top Media Official
Fighters overrun capital of Nimruz province
- The deputy governor of Nimruz province in southwest Afghanistan says its capital city has fallen to the Taliban, making it the first provincial capital to be overrun by Taliban fighters since American forces began their withdrawal. The attack on Zaranj marks an escalation in the Taliban campaign, which has mainly...
for Capitol Security Passes
Jul 29, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Emergency Money for Capitol Security Passes
Half of the $2.1B measure will go toward resettling Afghan refugees who helped US
- With few dissents, Congress on Thursday approved spending $2.1 billion to cover Capitol security costs and the evacuation and resettlement of Afghans who helped US forces during the 20-year war. The Capitol spending will repay costs incurred because of the Jan. 6 riot, as well as provide for security...
As Evacuations Near,
Taliban Behead Translator
Jul 23, 2021 1:19 PM CDT
As Evacuations Near, Taliban Behead Translator
US has promised to evacuate translators but won't protect Afghans trying to reach planes
- Sohail Pardis was last seen trying to run a Taliban checkpoint on a desert road. The Taliban opened fire, CNN reports. When the car stopped, Pardis was dragged from it and beheaded. He had been threatened after the Taliban learned he had served as a translator for US troops for...
Killed in Afghanistan
Jul 16, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Pulitzer-Winning Journalist Killed in Afghanistan
Danish Siddiqui was embedded with Afghan troops in covering the US withdrawal
- Danish Siddiqui, a Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist who documented war, the toll of the pandemic and the violent plight of refugees, was killed in a Taliban attack Friday in Afghanistan. He was 38. Siddiqui, who was based in Mumbai as Reuters' chief photographer in India, was embedded with Afghan forces to...
US to Evacuate
Translators This Month
Jul 14, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
US to Evacuate Translators This Month
Bush says he fears for Afghan women and girls
- The Biden administration said Wednesday that it is prepared to begin evacuation flights for Afghan interpreters and translators who aided the US military effort in the nearly 20-year war. The Operation Allies Refuge flights out of Afghanistan in the last week of July will be available first for special immigrant...
Taliban Go After Air Force
By Assassinating Its Pilots
Jul 10, 2021 3:15 PM CDT
Taliban Go After Air Force By Assassinating Its Pilots
Afghan military pilots are being tracked down in their neighborhoods
- The Taliban have been rolling through Afghanistan on the ground as US forces leave, seizing territory sometimes without resistance. But Afghanistan's government still has a tactical advantage, something it has that the Taliban don't: an air force. In an apparent campaign to eliminate that advantage, Taliban forces have...
Taliban: We Now Control
Almost All of Afghanistan
Jul 9, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Taliban: We Now Control Almost All of Afghanistan
Group says it has 85% of territory amid American withdrawal
- The Taliban claimed Friday that they now control 85% of Afghanistan's territory amid a surge in wins on the ground and as American troops complete their pullout. The announcement came at a press conference at the end of a visit by a senior Taliban delegation to Moscow this week—...
Critics of Afghan
Jul 8, 2021 1:55 PM CDT
Biden Poses Question to Critics of Afghan Strategy
'How many more thousands of American daughters and sons are you willing to risk?'
- President Biden on Thursday said the US military mission in Afghanistan will conclude on Aug. 31, adding that “speed is safety” as the United States seeks to end the nearly 20-year war, per the AP . “We did not go to Afghanistan to nation build,” Biden said in...
US Left Bagram Without
Notifying New Commander
Jul 5, 2021 2:58 PM CDT
US Left Bagram Without Notifying New Commander
3.5M items were left behind at Afghanistan base
- The US left Afghanistan's Bagram Airfield after nearly 20 years by shutting off the electricity and slipping away in the night without notifying the base's new Afghan commander, who discovered the Americans' departure more than two hours after they left, Afghan military officials said. The US announced Friday...
After Nearly 2 Decades,
US Exits Bagram Airfield
Jul 2, 2021 12:56 AM CDT
After Nearly 2 Decades, US Exits Bagram Airfield
Hands it over to Afghans as it works to end 'forever war'
- After nearly 20 years, the US military left Bagram Airfield, the epicenter of its war to oust the Taliban and hunt down the al-Qaeda perpetrators of the 9/11 terrorist attacks on America, two US officials said Friday. The airfield was handed over to the Afghan National Security and Defense Force...
Had a 'Curse'
Jul 1, 2021 1:01 PM CDT
Donald Rumsfeld Had a 'Curse'
'People assumed he was responsible for everything,' writes Matt Latimer
- Donald Rumsfeld was no stranger to controversy, and that remains the case even in death , with debates raging over his legacy. Four takes:
"[We] learned a great deal listening to him," writes the editorial board at the
Wall Street Journal
, describing Rumsfeld as "a
After Almost 20 Years,
Last German Troops
Jun 29, 2021 5:47 PM CDT
After Almost 20 Years, Last German Troops Leave Afghanistan
150K have served there since 2001
- Germany's last troops left Afghanistan Tuesday after a nearly 20-year deployment in the country, the defense minister said. Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer tweeted that the last Bundeswehr soldiers “left Afghanistan safely” Tuesday evening. She thanked the more than 150,000 troops who have served there since 2001 and...
Report: US Won't Pull 100%
of Troops From Afghanistan
Jun 25, 2021 12:10 AM CDT
Report: US Won't Pull 100% of Troops From Afghanistan
Those who stay will provide security for diplomats, sources tell AP
- Roughly 650 US troops are expected to remain in Afghanistan to provide security for diplomats after the main American military force completes its withdrawal, which is set to be largely done in the next two weeks, US officials tell the AP . In addition, several hundred additional American forces will remain...
Hostage May End Up
Left Behind as US Withdraws
Jun 17, 2021 7:43 AM CDT
Hostage May End Up Left Behind as US Withdraws
Mark Frerichs was captured by Taliban last year
- American contractor Mark Frerichs was seized in Kabul 17 months ago—and with the US withdrawal from Afghanistan picking up speed, his relatives fear he will be left behind. Special operations forces who could carry out a rescue operation if the 58-year-old were to be located will be gone from...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.