Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
New Figure Enters
Oct 22, 2019 11:47 AM CDT
New Figure Enters Ukraine Controversy
Hungarian leader Viktor Orban reportedly bad-mouthed Ukraine before call
- New reports out Tuesday add more context to President Trump's view of Ukraine before he made his famous call to that nation's leader in July. The upshot is that Vladimir Putin and Hungary's Viktor Orban each bad-mouthed Ukraine as a corrupt nation to Trump, reinforcing what he...
Report: Bolton Called
Giuliani a 'Hand Grenade'
Oct 15, 2019 7:02 AM CDT
Report: Bolton Called Giuliani a 'Hand Grenade'
Aide Fiona Hill testifies on Ukraine frictions
- President Trump's former top Russian adviser testified before House impeachment investigators Monday—and sources tell the
New York Times
that she had a lot to say about Rudy Giuliani, Ukraine, and John Bolton. The insiders say former National Security Council adviser Fiona Hill told lawmakers that in July, Bolton,...
John Bolton's Stance Isn't
Surprising. His Timing Is
Sep 30, 2019 1:20 PM CDT
John Bolton's Stance Isn't Surprising. His Timing Is
In first public comments, he zeroed in on North Korea
- Former national security adviser John Bolton gave what the AP calls a characteristically pessimistic outlook on the prospects for getting North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons as he made his first public appearance since he was ousted from his post by President Trump three weeks ago. Bolton made...
Trump Names New
National Security Adviser
Sep 18, 2019 9:01 AM CDT
Trump Names New National Security Adviser
It's hostage negotiator Robert O'Brien
- President Trump has named hostage negotiator Robert O'Brien to be his new national security adviser, reports the AP . Trump tweeted Wednesday that he has "worked long & hard" with O'Brien and that "he will do a great job!" Trump's announcement about O'Brien comes...
Trump Just Had 5 Biting
Things to Say About Bolton
Sep 11, 2019 1:51 PM CDT
Trump Just Had 5 Biting Things to Say About Bolton
'He made some very big mistakes'
- The Hill calls it a "public rebuke of a top aide that would have been extraordinary before the Trump White House": The president on Wednesday elaborated on his firing of John Bolton in an Oval Office meeting with reporters. Five standout things he said about his former National Security...
Iran Has Message for
US After Bolton Firing
Sep 11, 2019 6:43 AM CDT
Iran Has Message for US After Bolton Firing
Rouhani urges Washington to 'put warmongers aside'
- Iran's president urged the US on Wednesday to "put warmongers aside" amid an escalating crisis between Washington and Tehran in the wake of the collapsing nuclear deal with world powers. Hassan Rouhani's remarks signaled approval of President Trump's abrupt dismissal of John Bolton as national security...
Trump: I Fired John Bolton.
Bolton: No, I Resigned
Sep 10, 2019 11:49 AM CDT
Trump: I Fired John Bolton. Bolton: No, I Resigned
Either way, the national security adviser is out of a job
- John Bolton is out—whether he resigned or got fired is another question. President Trump announced on Twitter Tuesday that he gave the hawkish national security adviser his walking papers. "I informed John Bolton last night that his services are no longer needed at the White House," Trump...
Bolton: On the Outs?
Aug 31, 2019 6:00 PM CDT
Bolton: On the Outs?
The hard-talking national security adviser disagrees with the President, yet again
- John Bolton doesn't seem like a sidelines kind of guy—but the hard-talking national security adviser appears headed that way as he opposes his boss yet again, the
reports. Their latest conflict? Afghanistan, where President Trump is considering a reduction in US troops if the Taliban will...
to 'Insulting' Slam From Iran
Jun 25, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Trump Responds to 'Insulting' Slam From Iran
He threatens 'obliteration' if an American target is hit
- Iran on Tuesday mocked President Trump's new sanctions and called the White House "mentally retarded" or "mentally crippled," depending on the translation. In a series of tweets , President Trump has responded to the "very ignorant and insulting statement" with a threat. "Any attack by...
Trump on Drone: 'I Find It Hard
to Believe It Was Intentional'
Jun 20, 2019 1:57 PM CDT
Trump on Drone: 'I Find It Hard to Believe It Was Intentional'
President says a rogue commander is likely to blame, rather than top leaders
- Another day, another ratcheting up of the tension between the US and Iran. What's not in dispute is that Iran shot down an unmanned American drone over the Strait of Hormuz. Both sides disagree on a crucial point, however: Iran says the drone was over Iranian territory, while the...
Splits With Bolton,
N. Korea Pounces
May 27, 2019 10:37 AM CDT
After Trump Splits With Bolton, N. Korea Pounces
Foreign ministry rep calls him a 'war maniac,' 'human defect'
- President Trump acknowledged he was breaking with advisers Monday when he said he wasn't "personally bothered" by North Korea's recent short-range missile tests . "My people think it could have been a violation" but "I view it differently," the president said from Japan, per Reuters...
Photos Taken May 3
Added Fuel to Iran Fears
May 16, 2019 8:53 AM CDT
Photos Taken May 3 Added Fuel to Iran Fears
'NYT': Photos show missiles on boats in Persian Gulf
- Non-essential Embassy staff members in Iraq have been told to leave , and there's been a report that the Pentagon could send 120,000 troops to the Middle East if tensions with Iran reach a breaking point. Now, a possible clue as to why the hubbub over Iran has suddenly...
Report: Pentagon Has
Plan to Send 120K
Troops to Middle East
May 14, 2019 5:08 AM CDT
Report: Pentagon Has Plan to Send 120K Troops to Middle East
Trump says Iran could have a 'bad problem'
- Plans to send up to 120,000 troops to the Middle East to counter threats from Iran were unveiled at what appears to have been an exceptionally leaky meeting of national security aides last week, reports the
New York Times
, which cites more than half a dozen sources. The sources...
Trump 'Pretty Disappointed'
if Kim Tests a Rocket: Bolton
Mar 10, 2019 10:48 AM CDT
Trump 'Pretty Disappointed' if Kim Tests a Rocket: Bolton
But he says the government is watching North Korea 'constantly'
- The top national security adviser says President Trump would be "pretty disappointed" if North Korea were to launch a new rocket or missile test, as some experts believe he could be preparing to do , reports the AP . Speaking on ABC's
John Bolton would not confirm reports...
Move on Venezuela
Jan 29, 2019 6:47 AM CST
Bolton's Notepad Suggests Military Move on Venezuela
'All options are on the table'
- The White House says "all options are on the table" for Venezuela—apparently including the arrival of American troops to its neighbor. The words "Afghanistan -> welcome the talks" and "5,000 troops to Colombia" were seen scribbled on a yellow notepad in the hands of national...
for Plans to Hit Iran
Jan 13, 2019 10:47 AM CST
White House Asked Pentagon for Plans to Hit Iran
Bolton's reaction to failed attack 'definitely rattled people'
- The attack—three mortar shells launched into Baghdad's diplomatic sector by Iranian militants—injured no one, but the
Wall Street Journal
is now reporting that it "triggered unusual alarm" inside the Trump administration. National Security Adviser John Bolton responded by asking the Pentagon to draw up plans to...
to Bolton: You
Jan 8, 2019 11:23 AM CST
Turkish Leader to Bolton: You Made 'Grave Mistake'
Erdogan says US official erred in demanding safety of Kurds in Syria
- The planned US withdrawal from Syria just got even thornier. Turkey's president criticized national security adviser John Bolton's comments on the issue and didn't meet with Bolton in a move widely perceived as a diplomatic snub. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan took issue with Bolton's weekend statement...
Bolton: US Will Stay in
Syria as Long as It Takes
Jan 7, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Bolton: US Will Stay in Syria as Long as It Takes
He says there's no longer a fixed timetable
- The timeline for the withdrawal of American troops from Syria has gone from 30 days to four months and now to no fixed date, according to John Bolton. He said "certain objectives" must be met before an American withdrawal could happen, the
reports. Bolton said there was...
N. Korea Is Denuclearizing? Not
According to These Images
Dec 6, 2018 9:50 AM CST
N. Korea Is Denuclearizing? Not According to These Images
Satellite pics shows possible new missile site near border with China
- People lie, satellite images don't—hence why the US and South Korea are closely monitoring a new suspected missile site near North Korea's central border with China. The facility in Hoejung-ni, "one of the most likely sites for deploying intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United...
Chilling Words on Saudi
Recording: 'Tell Your Boss'
Nov 13, 2018 6:51 AM CST
Chilling Words on Saudi Recording: 'Tell Your Boss'
Turkish officials think it implicates Saudi prince, though he is not named
- "Tell your boss." Do those words implicate Saudi prince Mohammed bin Salman in the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi ? Turkish intelligence officers think so, but the proof is not irrefutable because "the boss" is never named. As the
New York Times
reports, a member of the...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.