Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Mexican drug cartel
Stories 21 - 40 |
Attack on Mexico Bar
Kills 23, Injures 13
Aug 28, 2019 6:42 AM CDT
Attack on Mexico Bar Kills 23, Injures 13
Fire ripped through Coatzacoalcos bar
- An attack on a bar in Mexico's Gulf coast city of Coatzacoalcos killed 23 people and injured 13 late Tuesday. The attackers started a fire that ripped through the bar, killing eight women and 15 men, the AP reports. There was no immediate information on the condition of the...
19 Bodies Hung From
Bridge, Hacked Up
in Cartel Turf War
Aug 9, 2019 1:30 AM CDT
19 Bodies Hung From Bridge, Hacked Up in Cartel Turf War
3 victims in Mexico massacre were women
- Mexican police found nine bodies hanging from an overpass Thursday alongside a drug cartel banner threatening rivals, and seven more corpses hacked up and dumped by the road nearby. Just down the road were three more bodies, for a total of 19. The killing spree reported by prosecutors in the...
Murders in Mexico
Surge to Record High
Jul 23, 2019 12:44 AM CDT
Murders in Mexico Surge to Record High
This year has been worse than drug war's peak year
- Mexico set a new record for homicides in the first half of the year as the number of murders grew by 5.3% compared to the same period of 2018, fueled partly by cartel and gang violence in several states. Mexico saw 3,080 killings in June, an increase of...
Feds Seek Life Sentence
Plus 30 Years for Guzman
Jul 11, 2019 12:05 AM CDT
Feds Seek Life Sentence Plus 30 Years for Guzman
They describe him as a 'ruthless and bloodthirsty leader of the Sinaloa Cartel'
- Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman's already extremely slim chances of ever leaving an American prison alive grew slimmer on Wednesday when prosecutors confirmed they were seeking a life sentence for the Mexican drug lord—plus 30 years. In a letter to US District Judge Brian Cogan, Justice Department lawyers...
Drug Lord's Wife to Run
El Chapo Clothing Line
Apr 1, 2019 5:16 PM CDT
Drug Lord's Wife to Run El Chapo Clothing Line
Convict wanted a 'legitimate business' for his family, lawyer says
- With plenty of time on his hands, Joaquín Guzmán has signed a contract in his prison cell to market a clothing line bearing his name and signature. His wife, Emma Coronel Aispuro, will run the new company. "This project is an idea Joaquin and I have had...
El Chapo's Ex-Bodyguard
Gives Graphic Testimony
Jan 25, 2019 7:01 AM CST
El Chapo's Ex-Bodyguard Gives Graphic Testimony
He tells court he saw drug lord kill 3 men
- Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman was the kind of boss who wasn't afraid to pitch in and get his hands bloody, a former bodyguard testified Thursday at the drug lord's trial in New York. In what the BBC describes at the trial's most gruesome testimony yet, Isaias...
El Chapo Trial Security
Involves a 'Secret Plan'
Nov 13, 2018 9:50 AM CST
El Chapo Trial Security Involves a 'Secret Plan'
So as not to have to close the Brooklyn Bridge twice daily
- The trial of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman begins in Brooklyn Tuesday, and it won't include a hug between the drug kingpin and his wife. NBC News reports his lawyers had asked that he be permitted to give the former beauty queen "a brief momentary greeting to include...
Woman Weeps Upon Being
Selected as 'El Chapo' Juror
Nov 7, 2018 2:57 PM CST
Woman Weeps Upon Being Selected as 'El Chapo' Juror
A jury has been picked, will hear opening statements Tuesday
- Jury selection at the US trial for Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman was completed Wednesday with Guzman waiting for word on whether he can hug his wife for the first time in nearly two years. A jury of seven women and five men are to hear opening...
Shot Dead While
Posing for Selfie
Jun 12, 2018 5:01 PM CDT
Mexican Politician Shot Dead While Posing for Selfie
His murder was caught on video
- As Fernando Purón, a Mexican congressional candidate, left an election debate Friday, a woman asked him to stop for a selfie. As the pair posed, a man walked up behind them and shot Purón in the head in a horrifying scene caught on surveillance video, the
After Moms Raise
Funds for Excavation,
a Horrific Find in Mexico
Mar 15, 2017 3:42 AM CDT
After Moms Raise Funds for Excavation, a Horrific Find in Mexico
Hundreds of skulls found in Veracruz mass grave
- A horrific find in Mexico: Authorities say they've found more than 250 skulls in a clandestine burial ground on the outskirts of the city of Veracruz—and they have yet to excavate two-thirds of the area. State attorney general Jorge Winckler Ortiz said the bodies are drug cartel victims...
'El Chapo' Is Not Happy
About US Jail Conditions
Feb 4, 2017 8:02 AM CST
'El Chapo' Is Not Happy About US Jail Conditions
His lawyers say he's denied visits
- Lawyers for Mexican drug cartel kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman complained about his strict jail conditions in the US during a court appearance Friday. Guzman's common-law wife, beauty queen Emma Coronel, flew to the US for the hearing in a federal court in Brooklyn, the BBC reports. Defense...
Judge Who Oversaw Drug
Kingpins' Appeals Shot Dead
Oct 18, 2016 5:03 PM CDT
Judge Who Oversaw Drug Kingpins' Appeals Shot Dead
Details are scant so far
- The Mexican federal judge who handled the appeals of drug kingpins Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman and Miguel Trevino was shot dead outside his house Monday, Reuters reports. Mexico's president has ordered the country's attorney general to investigate Vicente Bermudez's murder. Guzman, leader of the Sinaloa Cartel,...
At Upscale Restaurant in
Mexico, a Massive Abduction
Aug 16, 2016 2:45 AM CDT
At Upscale Restaurant in Mexico, a Massive Abduction
All those involved appear to be members of criminal organizations
- Armed men abducted 10 to 12 presumed members of a crime gang who appeared to be celebrating at an upscale restaurant in the popular Mexican beach resort city of Puerto Vallarta, authorities said Monday. Jalisco state prosecutor Eduardo Almaguer said at a news conference that preliminary results of the investigation...
Mayor in Drug-Ridden
Shot to Death
Jul 25, 2016 8:12 AM CDT
Mayor in Drug-Ridden Mexican Town Shot to Death
He's the 2nd mayor in the country killed in as many days
- The mayor of a town in one of Mexico's most violent drug corridors was shot to death, the second mayor killed in Mexico in two days, the AP reports. Ambrosio Soto was mayor of a township that includes Ciudad Altamirano, a known haven for drug traffickers in southern Guerrero...
15 Cops Killed
in Mexico Ambush
Apr 8, 2015 3:14 AM CDT
15 Cops Killed in Mexico Ambush
Jalisco attack is deadliest in recent memory
- Gunmen ambushed a police convoy in the western state of Jalisco, killing 15 state police officers and wounding five as bullets riddled their vehicles in the deadliest single attack on Mexican police in recent memory. The attack happened late Monday as the convoy traveled on a rural road between the...
Gets 22 Years for
Nov 25, 2014 4:05 AM CST
Cartel Henchman Gets 22 Years for Drug-Smuggling Scheme
He plotted to bring cocaine from Mexico by train
- A man prosecutors say was a top member of Mexico's Sinaloa cartel was sentenced to 22 years yesterday after what the
reports has been called the most significant drug prosecution in the city's history. Alfredo Vasquez-Hernandez, allegedly the cartel's logistics chief and a lieutenant of...
Cartel Boss Busted During Texas Shopping Trip
Oct 22, 2014 4:55 AM CDT
Cartel Boss Busted During Texas Shopping Trip
Gulf cartel once again has room at the top
- Juan Francisco Saenz-Tamez was ruthless enough to become chief of Mexico's Gulf cartel at the age of 23—but apparently not smart enough to avoid visiting the US, even after a federal jury indicted him on three drug and money-laundering counts. Saenz-Tamez was busted during a shopping trip to...
Mexico: Missing Students
Not Found in Mass Graves
Oct 15, 2014 3:54 AM CDT
Mexico: Missing Students Not Found in Mass Graves
First 28 bodies unearthed may be earlier cartel victims
- Authorities testing remains found in nine mass graves in southern Mexico have yet to find any of 43 students from a teachers college who disappeared after a confrontation with police, security officials say. None was among 28 bodies, some badly burned, that were unearthed a week after the Sept. 26...
Major Cartel Leader
Oct 9, 2014 7:11 PM CDT
Mexico Arrests Major Cartel Leader
Vicento Carrillo Fuentes of Juarez cartel is caught
- The alleged leader of the Juarez drug cartel has been arrested in the northern city of Torreon, Mexican officials said today. Vicento Carrillo Fuentes, 51, purportedly heads the cartel founded by his late brother, Amado Carrillo Fuentes, and both the US and Mexico had million-dollar rewards for his arrest. Carrillo...
90-Year-Old Drug Mule
Handed Prison on Birthday
May 8, 2014 1:03 AM CDT
90-Year-Old Drug Mule Handed Prison on Birthday
Leo Sharp is also a World War II veteran
- Leo Sharp turned 90 yesterday ... while sitting in federal court in Detroit, where he was sentenced to three years in federal prison for his role in a drug smuggling operation. The Indiana man, a World War II veteran, was convicted of hauling cocaine between Mexico and Detroit for a Mexican...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.