Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 27, 2022 1:31 PM CDT
Taylor Swift Changes Video After Criticism
Singer removes the word 'fat' from 'Anti-Hero' music video
- Taylor Swift has edited a music video she directed days after its release after onlookers claimed it was insensitive. The pop star was specifically accused of "fatphobia" after the release of the video for " Anti-Hero ," the first single from her new album
, which showed her stepping...
Mar 18, 2021 6:36 AM CDT
Tokyo Olympics Official Resigns Over Cringey 'Olympig' Idea
Creative director Hiroshi Sasaki quits after idea involving plus-sized comedian Naomi Watanabe
- Japan just may have an Olympic-sized problem with its "old men's club." One month after the 83-year-old head of the Tokyo Olympics organizing committee stepped down for sexist comments, another top Olympics official is quitting in the wake of his own eyebrow-raising remarks. This time, per the...
Trainer Jillian Michaels
Takes Flak Over Lizzo Remarks
Jan 9, 2020 11:55 AM CST
Trainer Jillian Michaels Takes Flak Over Lizzo Remarks
Trainer is accused of fat-shaming, but she says she's talking only about health risks
- Personal trainer Jillian Michaels—best known as a coach on
The Biggest Loser
—is receiving lots of criticism Thursday from fans of singer Lizzo. It stems from comments Michaels made Wednesday on the BuzzFeed News show
AM to DM
. “Why are we celebrating her body?" Michaels said. "Why...
'We're Not All
as Lucky as
Sep 14, 2019 1:55 PM CDT
James Corden: 'We're Not All as Lucky as Bill Maher'
The late-night host rips Maher about his support for fat-shaming
- James Corden might say he was throwing his weight around. The
Late Late Show
host delved out a little social commentary Thursday in response to Bill Maher's recent defense of fat-shaming, BuzzFeed reports. "Fat-shaming doesn't need to end; it needs to make a comeback," Maher said...
Egypt's President Accused of
Fat-Shaming an Entire Country
Dec 26, 2018 8:17 AM CST
Egypt's President Accused of Fat-Shaming an Entire Country
Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi did ask his people to lose weight, but he says it's because they're 'family'
- Egypt's president is denying that he fat-shamed his own people after his recent calls for Egyptians to lose weight prompted a torrent of jokes online. In televised comments Wednesday, President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi said, "How can I shame my own family? Egyptians are my family. How can I watch...
a Sea Otter. Never.
Dec 23, 2018 10:19 AM CST
Never Fat-Shame a Sea Otter. Never.
Monterey Bay Aquarium has a 'learning moment' after trying to act like the cool kids on Twitter
- Furthering the Internet truism that 140 characters is plenty of letters to trigger an avalanche of trouble, we present to you an unlikely example: The Monterey Bay Aquarium, accused of fat-shaming one of its own sea otters and just being painful in general. As KPIX reports, the aquarium, or maybe...
Nov 22, 2018 12:30 PM CST
Sarah Michelle Gellar's Sexy Thanksgiving Post Flops
Instagram users accuse her of fat shaming
- Instagram users are decidedly
taken with Sarah Michelle Gellar's Thanksgiving preparations. The former star of
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer
issued an apology after sharing photos of herself from a 2007
lingerie shoot. "I'm just going to pin these up all over my house as a...
A Woman's Final
Note to All Doctors
in Her Obituary
in case you missed it
Aug 5, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
A Woman's Final Note to All Doctors in Her Obituary
Ellen Maud Bennett says she endured 'fat shaming' from the medical profession
- When a terminal cancer diagnosis finally came, Ellen Maud Bennett was given only days to live. The 64-year-old of Victoria, BC, spent them eating lobster and shrimp-wonton soup and boasting, "I look so good for someone almost dead!" Her much-lauded obituary published this month, however, called out something...
Critics on Netflix's
Shut It Down
Jul 24, 2018 9:07 AM CDT
Critics on Netflix's 'Revenge Comedy': Shut It Down
Some say 'Insatiable,' about a once-overweight teen, engages in 'body shaming'
- The trailer for a new Netflix show dropped last week, but instead of generating excitement, it has spurred a petition calling for the show's cancellation. More than 113,000 people have signed the Change.org appeal to nix
, starring Disney Channel darling Debby Ryan as a once-obese teen,...
Megyn Kelly Faces Backlash
Over Pro-Fat-Shaming Remarks
Jan 13, 2018 10:21 AM CST
Megyn Kelly Faces Backlash Over Pro-Fat-Shaming Remarks
She later attempted to walk back those comments
- "Some of us want to be shamed,"
quotes Megyn Kelly as saying Thursday while discussing fat-shaming on
. "When I was in law school, I was gaining weight," Kelly recounted. "I said to my stepfather, 'If you see me go into...
Personal Trainer Tries to
in case you missed it
Sep 2, 2017 5:14 PM CDT
Personal Trainer Tries to Body-Shame Bride-to-Be
He said her wedding pics will be around for centuries
- Cassie Young is used to strangers reaching out to her on social media. The 31-year-old is a digital director at the nationally syndicated radio program
The Bert Show
in Chicago, and she's got more than 14,000 followers on Twitter alone. But when a personal trainer offered to whip...
if Roxane Gay
Will 'Fit in the Lift'
Jun 14, 2017 3:14 PM CDT
Brouhaha After Website Wonders if Roxane Gay Will 'Fit in the Lift'
Mamamia website, founder have since apologized to the author
- Best-selling author Roxane Gay gave a podcast interview to Australian website Mamamia that went well enough, but the aftermath of the sit-down has not been so amicable. The description for the podcast , which focused on Gay's new memoir
Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body
, mentioned Gay's "super-morbidly...
#TheySaid Goes Viral as
Women Talk Body Shaming
Jun 2, 2017 7:06 AM CDT
#TheySaid Goes Viral as Women Talk Body Shaming
Many describe the first time they heard a negative comment about their bodies
- There's a new hashtag taking off on social media, and it's one that takes on body shaming. It all started on May 25 when Sally Bergesen, CEO of sports apparel brand Oiselle, took to Twitter to describe the time her dad body shamed her when she was 12:...
'Appalled' Over Promos
Jun 1, 2017 7:11 AM CDT
Parody 'Appalled' Over Promos
Chloe Grace Moretz, others say campaign body shames blatantly
- The bad news the magic mirror gave the Evil Queen in the original
pales in comparison to the body-shaming backlash over promotions for
Red Shoes & the 7 Dwarfs
, set to debut in 2018, per
. A movie poster at Cannes showed the animated parody's main character,...
Playboy Model Pleads Not Guilty
in Nude Body-Shaming Case
Nov 28, 2016 3:05 PM CST
Playboy Model Pleads Not Guilty in Nude Body-Shaming Case
Dani Mathers could still face jail for posting naked photo of woman at her gym
- The list of things the 2015 Playboy Playmate of the Year can't unsee still includes jail time, but Dani Mather pleaded not guilty on Monday to misdemeanor charges of invasion of privacy in a California court. Mather—who caused an internet tempest in a teapot when she allegedly posted...
This Playboy Model Just
Did a Really Ugly Thing
Jul 15, 2016 10:02 AM CDT
This Playboy Model Just Did a Really Ugly Thing
Dani Mathers posted a photo of a nude woman at the gym
- Dani Mathers says she became a Playboy model because she loves the female body. She had a funny way of showing it Thursday when she posted a photo to Snapchat of a nude woman in a locker room at an LA Fitness in Los Angeles, with the caption, "If...
Jun 8, 2016 6:35 PM CDT
Trump-Endorsed Lawmaker Calls Ex-Supporter Fat, Loses Election
'She has become a mean girl on steroids'
- North Carolina Rep. Renee Ellmers, who was Donald Trump's first official congressional endorsement, lost her primary contest Tuesday after calling a former supporter fat,
reports. According to WNCN , Ellmers was caught on video telling a woman at a polling place that she had "gained some weight....
Shuts Down Fat-Shamers
Mar 29, 2016 10:54 AM CDT
Star Shuts Down Fat-Shamers
'Like a dandelion up through the pavement, I persist': Wentworth Miller on his depression
- As Michael Scofield on the hit show
, Wentworth Miller not only received critical acclaim , he also cut a notably buff, tatted figure. But after the show ended in 2009, Miller disappeared, and a meme this week brought out why. Viral-photo-sharer The Lad Bible posted a pic of a...
Teen Bullied as
'Fat Whale' Now
Mar 16, 2016 11:23 AM CDT
Teen Bullied as 'Fat Whale' Now Raising Cash for Whales
'I can take someone's hate and use it to spread love': 16-year-old Dee McMillan
- When Dannie "Dee" McMillan first started noticing odd looks and snickers in the hallways of her Texas high school, she wasn't sure what was going on, the
New York Daily News
reports. But the 16-year-old's friends soon started sending her screenshots of a Twitter page that horrified...
In 'Unprecedented' Move, Reddit Bans 5 Subreddits
Jun 11, 2015 1:00 PM CDT
In 'Unprecedented' Move, Reddit Bans 5 Subreddits
The most popular of the 5 forums targeted the obese
- Reddit, the so-called front page of the Internet, is starting to ban some of its own forums after years of being known as the content aggregator where anything goes (well, except for child porn and nude celebrity pics). But Reddit is reporting this week that it has removed five of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.