Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'11th Time Was the Charm'
at Biden-Sanders Debate
Mar 16, 2020 6:43 AM CDT
'11th Time Was the Charm' at Biden-Sanders Debate
Strong night may have sealed it for Biden
- Bernie Sanders needed a clear victory in Sunday night's debate to regain momentum in the race for the Democratic nomination. Most analysts say he didn't get one, despite some strong moments in his first head-to-head debate with Joe Biden. In a live audience-free debate overshadowed by the coronavirus...
Biden Commits to a
Female Running Mate
Mar 16, 2020 12:11 AM CDT
Biden Commits to a Female Running Mate
Sanders said he will do the same 'in all likelihood'
- In a debate dominated by discussion of the coronavirus outbreak , Joe Biden promised to pick a woman as his running mate if he becomes the Democratic nominee. "I commit that I will, in fact, pick a woman to be vice president," the former vice president said. "There...
Outbreak Looms Large
in Biden, Sanders Debate
Mar 15, 2020 8:13 PM CDT
Outbreak Looms Large in Biden, Sanders Debate
There is no live audience at first head-to-head clash
- Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are taking part in a very unusual Democratic debate: Because of the coronavirus crisis, there is no live studio audience at the debate, which was shifted from Phoenix to Washington DC. Before their first head-to-head matchup, the two candidates greeted each other by bumping elbows....
'And Then There Were Two'
Mar 14, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
'And Then There Were Two'
Sunday's debate will feature only two candidates: Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden
- And then there were two. Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders are set to meet Sunday night in their first one-to-one presidential primary debate after months of Democratic free-for-alls that presaged a dramatic culling of the field since the opening round of the 2020 race, the AP reports. Some key questions...
Sunday's Biden-Sanders Debate
Will Lack One Key Thing
Mar 11, 2020 3:35 AM CDT
Sunday's Biden-Sanders Debate Will Lack One Key Thing
Namely, a live audience amid coronavirus fears
- Moderators won't need to worry about shushing rowdy Joe Biden or Bernie Sanders at the next Democratic debate—because, to minimize the risk of coronavirus infection, there won't be any audience members. The Democratic National Committee confirmed Tuesday that there will be no audience at Sunday night's...
Winners, Losers From
the Democratic Debate
Feb 26, 2020 6:44 AM CST
Winners, Losers From the Democratic Debate
Biden had the good night he needed, analysts say
- Tuesday night's Democratic debate in Charleston, SC, was a raucous affair—so much so that Vox declares chaos to be the only true winner. In the last debate before the state's Saturday primary—and Super Tuesday—candidates desperate for speaking time talked over each other and shouted at...
Sanders Faces Onslaught
in South Carolina Debate
Feb 25, 2020 7:19 PM CST
Sanders Faces Onslaught in South Carolina Debate
7 candidates clashed in fiery debate
- Seven Democrats took part in a fiery debate in South Carolina on Tuesday night—one more than in last week's primary debate. Tom Steyer joined Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, Amy Klobuchar, Pete Buttigieg, and Michael Bloomberg in the Charleston debate, co-hosted by CBS News and the Congressional...
Unloads on Bernie
Prior to Debate
Feb 25, 2020 3:13 PM CST
Nearly Every 2020 Candidate Unloads on Bernie Prior to Debate
Expect lots of attacks on the current frontrunner Tuesday night
- Bernie Sanders' Democratic rivals prepared to unleash a new wave of attacks against the party's presidential front-runner in a high-stakes debate Tuesday night. It's likely to be the final prime-time opportunity for several candidates to change the direction of the 2020 nomination fight, the AP reports. Almost all...
Rivalry Is Getting Nasty
Feb 20, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Klobuchar, Buttigieg Rivalry Is Getting Nasty
These 2 really seem to dislike each other
- The rough night suffered by Michael Bloomberg has dominated post-debate coverage, but another aspect of the Democratic race is also coming into focus: Amy Klobuchar and Pete Buttigieg appear to genuinely dislike each other. The Minnesota senator and the former South Bend mayor clashed numerous times, and Klobuchar seemed to...
Debate Was a Brutal
Night for Bloomberg
Feb 20, 2020 6:40 AM CST
Debate Was a Brutal Night for Bloomberg
Warren praised for standout performance
- Viewers who watched the ninth Democratic presidential debate Wednesday night hoping to see fireworks would not have been disappointed. Anybody hoping for a strong performance from Michael Bloomberg, however, would probably have changed the channel before the end of the first hour. The billionaire made his presidential debate debut in...
Trump Mocks 'Bumbling'
Bloomberg After Debate
Feb 20, 2020 5:03 AM CST
Trump Mocks 'Bumbling' Bloomberg After Debate
'I hear he’s getting pounded tonight,' president tells Phoenix campaign rally
- While six Democrats vying to replace him were clashing in Las Vegas , President Trump was holding a rally one state over—and he gave the audience in Phoenix a debate update. "I hear he’s getting pounded tonight," Trump said of Michael Bloomberg. "I hear they're...
After Answer on
Feb 19, 2020 9:14 PM CST
Bloomberg Booed After Answer on Sexual Harassment
Warren urged him to release women from nondisclosure agreements
- Elizabeth Warren and other Democratic rivals have been pummeling Michael Bloomberg throughout the Democratic debate in Las Vegas—and she got the audience to boo the former New York City mayor on one issue. After Bloomberg—asked about the alleged culture of sexual harassment in his company—said he had...
Bloomberg a Major Target
in Las Vegas Debate
Feb 19, 2020 8:23 PM CST
Bloomberg a Major Target in Las Vegas Debate
Sanders, Warren slam former mayor's record
- Michael Bloomberg was on a Democratic presidential debate stage for the first time Wednesday night and he became a major target in the Las Vegas debate from the opening minutes onward—more so than frontrunner Bernie Sanders. Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar, Joe Biden, and Pete Buttigieg also took part in...
Has Never Debated
Quite Like This Before
Feb 19, 2020 7:40 AM CST
Bloomberg Has Never Debated Quite Like This Before
He last debated in 2009, and not with 5 rivals alongside him
- Six Democratic contenders take the debate stage in Las Vegas on Wednesday night, but one will be in the spotlight like no other: Mike Bloomberg is getting behind the podium for the first time, and "he is going to have a giant target on his back from all sides,...
Dems to Welcome a New
Face to Debate Stage
Feb 18, 2020 6:22 AM CST
Dems to Welcome a New Face to Debate Stage
Michael Bloomberg qualifies and will take part in Wednesday event in Las Vegas
- The next Democratic debate, the ninth so far, will feature a brand-new face onstage. CNN reports that Michael Bloomberg has qualified for Wednesday evening's event in Las Vegas by earning 19% support in an NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll, making it the former New York City mayor's fourth national poll...
Be on Debate
Feb 17, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Will Bloomberg Be on Debate Stage?
He's on the brink of qualifying in Nevada, though he's not on the state ballot
- The next Democratic debate is Wednesday in Las Vegas, and two big questions revolve around Michael Bloomberg: Will he qualify for the stage? And, if so, would he actually show up even though he's not on the state ballot? So far, five candidates have qualified for the debate, reports...
Buttigieg Is a Big Target
in Democratic Debate
Feb 7, 2020 10:44 PM CST
Buttigieg Is a Big Target in Democratic Debate
Klobuchar earns strong reviews
- Pete Buttigieg emerged as a major target, while Amy Klobuchar was earning high marks Friday night for a strong debate showing as seven Democrats took the stage in Manchester, New Hampshire. Specifically, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Andrew Yang, and Tom Steyer participated. Highlights follow, but also...
'I Like Bernie Just Fine':
Sanders Gets Some Love
Feb 7, 2020 8:43 PM CST
'I Like Bernie Just Fine': Sanders Gets Some Love
Klobuchar praises him, while Sanders downplays Hillary Clinton cricitism
- One topic that came up during Friday's debate: Hillary Clinton's pointed criticism of Bernie Sanders in a new documentary. "Nobody likes him," she said. But when Sen. Amy Klobuchar was asked if that was true, she smiled and said, "I like Bernie just fine" and...
Feb 7, 2020 8:28 PM CST
2 Non-Candidates Get Big Ovations at Debate
Mitt Romney and the NSC's Alexander Vindman
- Two people not running for president got plenty of applause during the Democratic debate Friday night.
Joe Biden at one point urged the crowd to stand in support of Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman of the National Security Council, who testified in the House impeachment inquiry, reports
. Vindman was
Hopes May Be
On the Line
Feb 7, 2020 1:15 PM CST
Biden's 2020 Hopes May Be On the Line in NH
Friday night's debate could be critical for him to avoid a 2nd straight bad election night
- Another debate gets rolling Friday at 8pm ET on ABC . This time, seven Democrats will be on stage in Manchester, New Hampshire—Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Amy Klobuchar, Bernie Sanders, Tom Steyer, Elizabeth Warren, and Andrew Yang. Here's a look at what's stake and what to watch for:...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
New Suit Says Police Abused Woman in 'Torture Warehouse'
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.