Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
University of Virginia
Stories 1 - 20 |
UVa Shooting Victim Spoke to
Mom Minutes Before Death
Dec 15, 2022 8:46 AM CST
UVa Shooting Victim Spoke to Mom Minutes Before Death
Happy Perry, mother of D'Sean Perry, says his death could have been prevented
- Happy Perry had just gotten off the phone with her son when the University of Virginia football player was shot dead. D'Sean Perry was one of three students killed on a bus after returning to campus from a field trip to Washington, DC, last month. A fellow student on...
UVa Player Shot in Back
Released From Hospital
Nov 21, 2022 12:43 PM CST
UVa Player Shot in Back Released From Hospital
'HALLELUJAH,' says Mike Hollins' mother
- A University of Virginia football player who was seriously wounded in a shooting that killed three of his teammates has been released from the hospital. Brenda Hollins, the mother of running back Mike Hollins, tweeted early Monday: "Mike has been discharged!!! HALLELUJAH." She asked for continued prayers "...
Prosecutor: One UVa Victim
Was Shot as He Slept
Nov 16, 2022 10:05 AM CST
Prosecutor: One UVa Victim Was Shot as He Slept
Christopher Darnell Jones Jr. makes first court appearance via video link from jail
- The University of Virginia student accused of killing three football players on a bus as a field trip wrapped up shot one victim as he slept, according to a witness. That was one of the details Albemarle County Commonwealth's Attorney James Hingeley shared during Christopher Darnell Jones Jr.'...
Just Before UVa Bus Shooting,
Players Went to Use Bathroom
Nov 16, 2022 6:41 AM CST
Just Before UVa Bus Shooting, Players Went to Use Bathroom
Suspect allegedly yelled about football players 'messing with' him before opening fire
- Moments before gunfire rang out on a bus chartered by the University of Virginia for a field trip Sunday, three of the school's football players walked to the back of the bus to use the restroom, a 19-year-old second-year who was on the trip tells the
UVa. Suspect 'Waited
Until They Got Back ...
and Just Shot Up the Bus'
Nov 15, 2022 7:01 AM CST
UVa. Suspect 'Waited Until They Got Back ... and Just Shot Up the Bus'
Students had been attending a play in Washington
- As a bus full of University of Virginia students returned to the Charlottesville campus after a class field trip Sunday, one of the students on the charter bus allegedly started shooting. Three UVa football players were killed and two others were injured in the shooting, and the campus was locked...
Campus Police Had Report
About UVa Shooting Suspect
Nov 14, 2022 4:59 PM CST
Campus Police Had Report About UVa Shooting Suspect
Christopher Darnell Jones was also named in a concealed weapon case, chief says
- The University of Virginia student held in the killings of three students and wounding of two had been the subject of a recent investigation, campus police said. The student affairs office interviewed the suspect's roommate after the school's threat assessment team received a report in September that Christopher...
3 UVa Football Players
Killed; Suspect in Custody
Nov 14, 2022 11:03 AM CST
3 UVa Football Players Killed; Suspect in Custody
2 other players survived, and the suspected shooter is in custody
- The suspected gunman in a shooting at the University of Virginia that claimed three lives Sunday night is in custody. All three victims were members of the school's football team, reports the
, which identifies them as wide receiver Devin Chandler, linebacker D'Sean Perry, and wide receiver...
3 Dead at UVa as Police
Search for 22-Year-Old
Nov 14, 2022 6:59 AM CST
3 Dead at UVa as Police Search for 22-Year-Old
At least 2 more are injured, and classes are canceled
- Three people are dead and two others injured after a campus shooting Sunday night at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, reports the local
. Police say the suspected gunman is still at large, and they have identified him as 22-year-old student Christopher Darnell Jones. Jones was on the...
Jury: Time for Yeardley
Love's Killer to Pay Up
May 3, 2022 6:26 AM CDT
Jury: Time for Yeardley Love's Killer to Pay Up
George Huguely must pay $15M to mom, sister of slain UVA lacrosse player in wrongful death case
- Sharon Love had already seen her daughter's killer put behind bars for more than two decades. On Monday, the mother of murdered University of Virginia lacrosse player Yeardley Love received financial compensation as well. The
reports that Sharon Love and her other daughter, Lexie Love Hodges, were...
Murder Is Now
Focus of Civil Trial
Apr 24, 2022 8:32 AM CDT
Lacrosse Star's Murder Is Now Focus of Civil Trial
University of Virginia's Yeardley Love was killed by George Huguely
- A decade ago, University of Virginia lacrosse player George Huguely V was convicted of second-degree murder after a sensational criminal trial in the killing of his on-again, off-again girlfriend, Yeardley Love, a member of the UVA women's lacrosse team. With Huguely now about halfway through his 23-year prison sentence,...
Virginia School Drops 238
Students Over Vax Status
Aug 21, 2021 9:54 AM CDT
Virginia School Drops 238 Students Over Vax Status
University of Virginia has an A average for vaccinations so far, though
- The University of Virginia has disenrolled students who haven’t proved they’ve gotten vaccinated and haven’t responded to repeated messages reminding them to get the shot. There were 238 students on the roll for fall, but only 49 had actually registered for classes, the
reports. Some of...
Reference to Slavery in
UVa Logo Is Edited Out
in case you missed it
Jun 21, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Reference to Slavery in UVa Logo Is Edited Out
Sword handles undergo edit to remove reference to walls that hid slaves
- The University of Virginia has altered its new athletics logo, revealed less than two months ago, over references to the school's history of slavery. The longstanding logo features a large "V" over crossed sabres, and in that April update, new detailing that was meant to "mimic the...
Coach of National
Champs Declines Raise
Sep 17, 2019 12:36 PM CDT
Coach of National Champs Declines Raise
Move by University of Virginia's Tony Bennett is making waves
- University of Virginia men's basketball coach Tony Bennett has declined a pay raise offered by the school and instead asked school officials for additional compensation for his staff and program improvement, the AP reports. University officials said in a news release Monday that Bennett did sign a one-year contract...
Latest Team to
Turn Down WH
Invite: 'Difficult, If
Apr 27, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Latest Team to Turn Down WH Invite: 'Difficult, If Not Impossible'
Tony Bennett, coach of Virginia Cavaliers, says it's a scheduling issue
- The Virginia Cavaliers won their first-ever NCAA men's basketball championship in early April by beating Texas Tech, and like many victors, the University of Virginia men's basketball team may have had a chance to visit the White House—except the team's coach says they're not going,...
Watch the Crazy Finish
That Decides Final Four Game
Apr 7, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
Watch the Crazy Finish That Decides Final Four Game
Virginia beats Auburn with 3 free throws, will play Texas Tech for championship
- The University of Virginia will play Texas Tech in Monday's NCAA title game thanks to a crazy finish in Virginia's game against Auburn. (See the video .) With his team trailing 62-60, Virginia's Kyle Guy put up a last-second 3-point shot. He missed, but a foul...
UVA to Richard
Away Till 2022
Oct 27, 2018 9:05 AM CDT
UVA to Richard Spencer: Stay Away Till 2022
White nationalist, 9 others banned from campus for 4 years
- If Richard Spencer wants to try to stir up any trouble in Charlottesville , he's going to have to do it anywhere other than the University of Virginia, at least for the next four years. That's because, per the
, the UVA grad and noted white nationalist has...
White Supremacist Rally
Organizer Banned From UVA
Apr 28, 2018 11:07 AM CDT
White Supremacist Rally Organizer Banned From UVA
Jason Kessler is accused of hateful cyber-threats and bullying
- The University of Virginia has issued a no-trespass warning to the organizer of last summer’s deadly white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, reports the
New York Times
. The warning effectively bans Jason Kessler from the campus for up to four years, per the
. The move follows reports that...
University of Virginia
Got Money From KKK.
Here's How It's Using It
Sep 14, 2017 6:38 PM CDT
University of Virginia Got Money From KKK. Here's How It's Using It
'I hope any remaining members of the KKK will appreciate the irony'
- In 1921, the Ku Klux Klan pledged $1,000 to the University of Virginia. That amount, in today's dollars, would be about $12,400, and with that in mind, the university is allocating an equivalent amount, $12,500, to the Charlottesville Patient Support Fund, which will be used to...
Sep 6, 2017 10:35 AM CDT
Charlottesville Concert Lineup Released
Dave Matthews Band, Justin Timberlake, Ariana Grande among performers
- Dave Matthews Band will take the stage in their hometown for a concert to benefit the victims of violence in Charlottesville, Va. The Sept. 24 concert at the University of Virginia will be the only live performance of the year for the band, which was first to suggest such a...
ESPN Pulls Announcer From
UVa Game Due to His Name
Aug 23, 2017 8:21 AM CDT
ESPN Pulls Announcer From UVa Game Due to His Name
Commentator Robert Lee's moniker too similar to Confederate general's: network
- ESPN may have been trying to nip a future hubbub in the bud, but, as CNN notes, it just created a whole new controversy. Asian-American announcer Robert Lee was slated to call the University of Virginia's home-opening football game against William and Mary on Sept. 2, but the ESPN...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Missing Monkeys Found in Abandoned Home
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
She Cooked and Ate a Great White. Now, a Hefty Fine
CEO Sorry for 'All Time Classic Bad' Layoff Memo
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.