Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Tom Petty's Estate
Orders Trump to
Cease and Desist
Jun 22, 2020 1:40 AM CDT
Tom Petty's Estate Orders Trump to Cease and Desist
President played 'I Won't Back Down' at Tulsa rally
- President Trump played Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down" at his Tulsa rally Saturday, and the late singer's family was having none of it. The same day, Petty's estate posted a statement on Twitter saying the POTUS was "in no way authorized to use...
Fire Wiped Out Their Masters.
Now the Artists Are Suing
Jun 24, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Fire Wiped Out Their Masters. Now the Artists Are Suing
They want Universal Music Group to pay up over devastating 2008 blaze
- In 2008, a fire at Universal Studios Hollywood also hit a vault of master music recordings owned by Universal Music Group. The full scope of the damage wasn't revealed until earlier this month, when a
New York Times
investigation labeled it "the biggest disaster in the history of...
May 16, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Petty Family Fracas: Widow Slammed With $5M Suit
New complaint is latest development in battle between Dana York Petty and Petty's 2 daughters
- The battle between Tom Petty's kids and his widow rages on. Last month, competing petitions were filed by Dana York Petty and Petty's daughters, Adria Petty and Annakim Violette, all involving control of such things as Petty's estate in general and song catalog in particular. Now
Tom Petty's Kids,
in Court Fight
Apr 4, 2019 8:55 AM CDT
Tom Petty's Kids, Widow Embroiled in Court Fight
Dana York Petty battling it out with Adria and Annakim Petty over control of estate
- It's been a year and a half since Tom Petty died , and while
reports a couple of his music compilations have since made their way to the public, a family feud may hold up further releases. Per court documents obtained by the Blast , Petty's widow, Dana York...
Cardi B Makes Gaffe
About the Late Tom Petty
Feb 12, 2019 1:06 AM CST
Cardi B Makes Gaffe About the Late Tom Petty
She thanked him for sending her flowers
- Cardi B thanked Tom Petty for sending her flowers after her big win at the Grammys , puzzling everybody who was aware that the rocker died in 2017 .
reports that in a now-deleted Instagram post, Cardi B said "Thank you Tom Petty for the flowers," adding that she...
Never-Released Tom Petty
Song Is Now Available
Jul 11, 2018 7:30 PM CDT
Never-Released Tom Petty Song Is Now Available
The track dates back to 1982
- Tom Petty's death did not mark the end of new music from the rock legend. A previously unreleased track from 1982 has been made public ahead of a box set to be released by Reprise Records. Per
, the song, called “Keep A Little Soul,” will be...
Tom Petty's Family
Cause of Death
Jan 19, 2018 6:46 PM CST
Tom Petty's Family Reveals Rocker's Cause of Death
Accidental drug overdose
- Tom Petty's family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose, the AP reports. His wife and daughter released the results of Petty's autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the...
Matt Lauer Made
at Least One
Top 10 List
Dec 13, 2017 8:00 AM CST
Matt Lauer Made at Least One Company's Top 10 List
He's up there with Hurricane Irma on Google's annual ranking of favorite searches
- Hurricane Irma and Matt Lauer were hot topics in 2017,
notes—hot enough to propel both to the top of Google's annual "Year in Search" results. Per the site, the results were culled "based on search terms that had a high spike in traffic in...
Oct 31, 2017 8:33 AM CDT
This Year's Top-Earning Dead Celebs
Michael Jackson earned $75M in last 12 months: 'Forbes'
- Celebrities aren't any less mortal than the rest of us, but their earning power can be.
takes a look at the highest-paid dead celebrities of the past year, measuring pretax income as of Oct. 15. Among those included is a celeb who died this month—and another who...
Opens on Somber Note
Oct 8, 2017 6:28 AM CDT
Opens on Somber Note
Jason Aldean bumps the usual cold open with tribute, performance of 'I Won't Back Down'
- Country star Jason Aldean took the stage on
Saturday Night Live,
reports the AP, paying tribute to the victims of the Las Vegas massacre and to the late rocker Tom Petty. "Launching into a solid, countrified cover of Tom Petty’s 'I Won’t Back Down,' Aldean...
Why Tom Petty's
Oct 3, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Why Tom Petty's Death Hurts So Much
We've all sung his songs at karaoke and played them on the guitar
- Tom Petty died Monday night at UCLA Medical Center at the age of 66 after suffering from cardiac arrest, and the tributes are now pouring in. Thanks to a mixup in the media that led to a premature announcement, the tributes actually began a little early, as he was showered...
How News of
Oct 3, 2017 7:27 AM CDT
How News of Tom Petty's Death Got So Mangled
The confusion started with CBS News and the LAPD
- For several hours Monday, music lovers believed Tom Petty was dead. Courtney Love, Talib Kweli, and Kid Rock were among scores of fans posting remembrances on Twitter. A memorial was scheduled for his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. But the 66-year-old entertainer was still alive at the time,...
Dead at 66
Oct 3, 2017 1:07 AM CDT
Tom Petty Dead at 66
Rocker was found at home in full cardiac arrest
- Iconic rocker Tom Petty is dead at age 66, a spokesperson confirms to the AP . The news comes after a day of confusing reports on Petty's condition. Per TMZ , he was found at his home Sunday night in full cardiac arrest and was placed on life support; his family...
Oct 2, 2017 5:57 PM CDT
Tom Petty 'Clinging to Life': TMZ
Singer was reportedly found in full cardiac arrest
- CBS News cited the LAPD in its report—which it said was confirmed—that Tom Petty had died at age 66, but now the LAPD says it has no information on the well-being of the singer, the AP reports. TMZ originally reported the singer had been taken off life...
Tom Petty to Bachmann:
Don't Use My Song
Jun 28, 2011 7:13 PM CDT
Tom Petty to Bachmann: Don't Use My Song
He asks her to stop playing 'American Girl'
- Sure, she's been in a presidential debate and has a PAC and all that, but Michele Bachmann has now truly made it to the political big leagues: A rocker wants her to stop using his song. In this case, it's Tom Petty, who objected to the use of...
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Dallas Zoo Adds Another Mystery to the List
Last of Us Zombie Fungus Is Real, Just Not for Humans
17th-Century Paintings Sent for Cleaning Now 'Untraceable'
Cops: Torture Suspect Is Using Chilling Way to Avoid Capture
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.